Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:28 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,843 times

Advertisements

Im tired of people thinking that redneck and southern is the same thing it isnt. Southern is laid back and in many ways more genteel than the North. Southerners are taught to have proper manners, and be hospitable. Also, we speak slower and not through our noses like some do in the North. Rednecks are just a class of people. But when I tell people Im from Virginia, they start making "redneck" jokes. Why?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:24 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Im tired of people thinking that redneck and southern is the same thing it isnt. Southern is laid back and in many ways more genteel than the North. Southerners are taught to have proper manners, and be hospitable. Also, we speak slower and not through our noses like some do in the North. Rednecks are just a class of people. But when I tell people Im from Virginia, they start making "redneck" jokes. Why?
Because they're ignorant.
(Or just playing around... )

Old 02-19-2007, 06:01 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Because they're ignorant.
(Or just playing around... )
I agree; because they're ignorant.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:25 AM

942 posts, read 2,584,132 times
Talking Hmmmm

Quote:
I personally would never consider Virginia a southern state. I would think from the Carloinas down would be southern, of course I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
This of course would be excluding Florida which is southern but, in a class all to its self.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:35 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
The same reason Southerners stereotype Northerners. Ignorance.

I grew up in NJ and never really heard anyone mock Southerners. That is, until I went back to visit for Thanksgiving. All I heard from friends and family was fake Southern drawls and sentences starting with exaggerated "y'alls". It was very annoying.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:07 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
It doesn't help when you have folks like Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy doing their bits ...

Old 02-19-2007, 08:11 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I always thought it was because the sun was beating down hard(er) on their necks while out farming!

But then I am ignorant!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused and relocating View Post
I personally would never consider Virginia a southern state. I would think from the Carloinas down would be southern, of course I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
This of course would be excluding Florida which is southern but, in a class all to its self.
Virginia is very southern. Its just not the deep south. Its Upper South But its southern enough for these people I know.

Besides, Im from Richmond We're only about an hour's drive from NC anyway.

I personally dont consider Florida a Southern state. At least not south of Orlando.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 AM

Think of how us Northerners feel when we move South.

I went to college in Virginia (UVA to be exact) for 4 years and I couldn't wait to get out. Everyone kept calling me a "Yankee from Massachusetts". They kept bringing up the Civil War. Sheesh. In Massachusettes the war is long over. Of course maybe its changed. This was back in the 1970s.

But yeah, I mean, its all relative. I have a friend who lived in Richmond and they said it was the same thing. Always fighting the war down there.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:13 PM

355 posts, read 842,647 times
It's the same reason why if you live in NYC or LA you're labeled as a liberal.

There's no difference... except that being called a liberal doesn't directly discount your intelligence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.