Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metros could Atlanta overtake?
Washington D.C. (pop. 5.3 million) 99 46.92%
Miami (pop. 5.4 million) 121 57.35%
Houston (pop. 5.6 million) 48 22.75%
Philadelphia (pop. 5.8 million) 88 41.71%
Dallas/Ft. Worth (pop. 6.1 million) 26 12.32%
Chicago (pop. 9.5 million) 8 3.79%
Los Angeles (pop. 12.8 million) 5 2.37%
New York City (pop. 18.8 million) 7 3.32%
None of the above 50 23.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:26 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Breaking news: Atlanta metro has just surpassed D.C. Metro.

Atlanta metro area now eighth-largest in nation | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/03/19/georgia_census_facts.html - broken link)
I hope the next census changes the metro definitions and just put DC and Baltimore in one MSA like they did for Miami and West Palm Beach, because this is somewhat misleading, IMO. Atlanta pretty much is by itself, while DC has to share suburbs with Baltimore, so this throws the numbers off somewhat. I bet if you drew a 30 mile radius around downtown Washington and downtown Atlanta, DC would have more people within that radius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:00 PM

12 posts, read 21,567 times
Default Jealous?Yeah boy.....

Jealous of Atlanta?Sure thing.You bet..Not a bad place,but certainly NOT a place people flock to for anything except work.It grew because of jobs.That`s about it....some of my family live in Atlanta,and have lived in that area since the American Revolution...where-as most people in metro Atlanta aren`t even from Ga....If they are they have very little to say about Atlanta that`s good,and other than Six Flaggs there is nothing to do....except go to bars

And Lake Lanier?Lets straighten that out.It`s not in Atlanta.It`s what 30+ miles from Atlanta?It`s crowded,and overbuilt.It`s not like it has miles of beaches,and state parks.It` houses,and if you don`t own one you go out on the lake,and that`s it..now Lake Guntersville(69,000 acres)Smith Lake(40,000 acres)Weiss Lake(about the size of Lanier)etc...have beaches,and state parks.In fact most of the shoreline is open to visitors..And big?Okeechobee is big..

The lake being down is old??This is the first year in many that it hasn`t been so low that many people have to walk 300 feet from their docks just to see water.

your Wikipedia figures for population may be right,but the Atlanta City website says projected population will not exceed 500,000 in 2010....

And the distance to beaches.Well most of the US is more than 200 miles away.We were talking about a city not the country..So Boston,NYC,Philly,Baltimore,DC,Miami,WPB,Ft.Lauder dale,Tampa,NO,Houston,LA,SanDiego,SF,Seattle,etc. are all close to salt water beaches.Chicago,Detroit,Columbus,Buffalo,etc. are close,or on the Great Lakes.There are a few,but not many Great cities in the US that aren`t close to big water either salt,lakes,or rivers.Please don`t even mention the Chatahoochee.

Before everyone gets mad I like Atlanta.Last time I looked it was the second highest paying city in the South..After Huntsville,Al. which is a space/rocket center,and weapons developement.

So didn`t mean to ruffle your feathers...yes I`m jealous,and I`m about to sell my house,move to Atlanta,and sit in my car on I-85 for 6 hours a day while I try to get to my new house which is 20 miles away.Yeah boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Somebody has some jealousy issues. A few facts, in response to the above assertions:

1. Atlanta's population is not "a few more people than Birmingham".
Birmingham population - 230,000
Atlanta population - 537,000

2. Atlanta doesn't "claim" any particular area in its MSA...as most people know, the Census Bureau determines the boundaries of metro areas. Additionally, Metro Atlanta (8,376 sq mi) isn't any larger than and somewhere in the middle of those listed above...

Houston - 10,062 sq mi
Dallas - 9,286 sq mi
Washington D.C. - 8,000+ sq mi
Miami - 6,137 sq mi

3. The lakes aren't below level anymore...you'll have to find something else wrong with Atlanta to bad-mouth, that one is old and won't work anymore. The drought is over. Atlanta's "tiny" lakes - Lake Lanier (37,000 acres) and Lake Allatoona (12,000 acres).

4. 200 miles is MUCH closer than the majority of the U.S. to beaches.

5. As anyone who lives in a large city understands, there is much more to do in Atlanta than "work".

Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,598 times
I bet that Charolette, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Huntsville Alabama could all surpass Atlanta by 2065.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:53 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Atlanta isn't anywhere close to surpassing the DC/Baltimore CSA.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdaweather View Post
Jealous of Atlanta?Sure thing.You bet..Not a bad place,but certainly NOT a place people flock to for anything except work.It grew because of jobs.That`s about it....some of my family live in Atlanta,and have lived in that area since the American Revolution...where-as most people in metro Atlanta aren`t even from Ga....If they are they have very little to say about Atlanta that`s good,and other than Six Flaggs there is nothing to do....except go to bars

And Lake Lanier?Lets straighten that out.It`s not in Atlanta.It`s what 30+ miles from Atlanta?It`s crowded,and overbuilt.It`s not like it has miles of beaches,and state parks.It` houses,and if you don`t own one you go out on the lake,and that`s it..now Lake Guntersville(69,000 acres)Smith Lake(40,000 acres)Weiss Lake(about the size of Lanier)etc...have beaches,and state parks.In fact most of the shoreline is open to visitors..And big?Okeechobee is big..

The lake being down is old??This is the first year in many that it hasn`t been so low that many people have to walk 300 feet from their docks just to see water.

your Wikipedia figures for population may be right,but the Atlanta City website says projected population will not exceed 500,000 in 2010....

And the distance to beaches.Well most of the US is more than 200 miles away.We were talking about a city not the country..So Boston,NYC,Philly,Baltimore,DC,Miami,WPB,Ft.Lauder dale,Tampa,NO,Houston,LA,SanDiego,SF,Seattle,etc. are all close to salt water beaches.Chicago,Detroit,Columbus,Buffalo,etc. are close,or on the Great Lakes.There are a few,but not many Great cities in the US that aren`t close to big water either salt,lakes,or rivers.Please don`t even mention the Chatahoochee.

Before everyone gets mad I like Atlanta.Last time I looked it was the second highest paying city in the South..After Huntsville,Al. which is a space/rocket center,and weapons developement.

So didn`t mean to ruffle your feathers...yes I`m jealous,and I`m about to sell my house,move to Atlanta,and sit in my car on I-85 for 6 hours a day while I try to get to my new house which is 20 miles away.Yeah boy.

Once again, let's look at some facts rather than the fiction that some people like to post:

1. Unless your family is Native American, it has NOT been in the Atlanta area since the American Revolution. The first European settlers came to the areain 1822 and settled in Decatur. So that statement is some of your fiction.

2. Most people in the area ARE from Georgia...around 80% of the popuation...and it's "Six Flags" - one g, not two.

3. "My" population figure is from the latest census that was just released...I'm not sure where you're getting that Atlanta won't exceed 500,000 by 2010 - it exceeded that figure a couple of years ago. It sounds like just some more of your fiction.

4. I could care less about how much shoreline Lake Lanier has compared to your little country lakes. It serves the purpose, and is very much a part of life in Atlanta, as is the Chattahoochee River. People who don't know much about life in Atlanta continually try to belittle our lakes and rivers, but it really doesn't work. Sorry.

5. Few cities in the U.S. that aren't on a lake or river? GREAT! Atlanta is unique in that way! Thanks for the compliment.

6. Everyone knows what Huntsville is famous for...it doesn't need your little plug.

7. Ruffle my feathers? Right. That's funny. Maybe you're just too young or immature to realize that jealosy/envy is very obvious when it presents itself through angry words. Yours is some of the most obvious I've ever seen...but denial is also a part of it.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:27 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
I bet that Charolette, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Huntsville Alabama could all surpass Atlanta by 2065.
Keep dreaming...Atlanta has grown by double-digit percentages each decade for 150 years - often by 20% or more. What makes you think it's going to stop growing?

It sounds like more envy...it's very apparent.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:22 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,598 times
Envy, hun?

Yes, because I love cheaply-built sprawl that will crumble to the ground in 20 years and be worthless, along with an impending doom of Detroit-style blight that will come to Atlanta by 2020.

Yes, I am so jelaous. Thanks for diagnosing my problem, DeaconJ. I can't wait to pack my bags and go running down there right now.... but wait, I'll collapse after running a block despite the fact that I am an avid runner because your city's smog and humidity will strangle me!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And I was so close to crossing over)

Guess I'll have to wait. Or maybe I can get a piggyback ride from one of your city's many overwieght women, like that one over there!! (or that one, there's just so many to choose from....)

Whoops, I forgot, they don't give piggybacks. Atlanta isn't a walkable city, you need at least a two-ton SUV to fight your way through traffic, so I guess I can maybe catch a ride in one of those as she drives off to Hardee's to buy herself a three-pound Angus bacon cheeseburger covered in gravy on the way to the health spa 45 minutes away. Atlanta living, here I come!!!!!!!......... but wait, she won't give me a ride because I don't know the name of Rush Limbaugh's son or the fact that it was his birthday today, explaining the fact that I was not dressed in proper birthday attire as the rest of town was. What'll I do now?

(a canoe appears)

Okay, maybe I can use the Atlanta metro's vast water resources to padle my way into town.... but wait, I can't do that. There's no water in town. That's why all that bottled water is coming into town, and also why the 'burbs are trying to find water like crazy to water their impeccable lawns. Oh well, nice try. (burns canoe in middle of a 15-lane metro Atlanta sprawlway)

(a policeman appears, who is roughly 400 pounds over normal weight)

Well, I guess burning canoes in the highway is frowned upon here. Oh well, it is in the rust belt, too. I just heard that since your values in the south free the individual so much more than those of the rust belt, it would be okay to freely burn a canoe in the highway as a demonstration against liberal government and the bailout. Oh well.

But suprisingly, the policeman is not getting out of the car. Instead, he writes a ticket for me as he's dunking a doughnut in his coffee, and...... what's this? A burgular is beating up an elderly women in an SUV stalled in Atlanta traffic in the northbound lanes of the sprawlway, with the cops' car pointing right at them. But the cop isn't moving. Maybe there is a HIGH crime rate here. I wonder why.

Anyways, I've had enough fun in your neck of the woods, and I also really don't want to pay for that ticket I got, so I'll hide up here in an abadoned warehouse with all of the other hobos who haven't yet crossed over to "high-class southern living" that Atlanta is. No worries, though. I guess we'll all be down there soon enough, living the life of southern suburbia, according to your statistics. Next time, though, I'll remember to bring my monster truck.

Last edited by Daytonnatian; 07-05-2009 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: didn't finish my awesome sarcastic story

Old 07-05-2009, 06:47 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdaweather View Post
Jealous of Atlanta?Sure thing.You bet..Not a bad place,but certainly NOT a place people flock to for anything except work.
Ummm, when has it historically been otherwise for any city?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:58 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Envy, hun?

Yes, because I love cheaply-built sprawl that will crumble to the ground in 20 years and be worthless, along with an impending doom of Detroit-style blight that will come to Atlanta by 2020.

Yes, I am so jelaous. Thanks for diagnosing my problem, DeaconJ. I can't wait to pack my bags and go running down there right now.... but wait, I'll collapse after running a block despite the fact that I am an avid runner because your city's smog and humidity will strangle me!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And I was so close to crossing over)

Guess I'll have to wait. Or maybe I can get a piggyback ride from one of your city's many overwieght women, like that one over there!! (or that one, there's just so many to choose from....)

Whoops, I forgot, they don't give piggybacks. Atlanta isn't a walkable city, you need at least a two-ton SUV to fight your way through traffic, so I guess I can maybe catch a ride in one of those as she drives off to Hardee's to buy herself a three-pound Angus bacon cheeseburger covered in gravy on the way to the health spa 45 minutes away. Atlanta living, here I come!!!!!!!......... but wait, she won't give me a ride because I don't know the name of Rush Limbaugh's son or the fact that it was his birthday today, explaining the fact that I was not dressed in proper birthday attire as the rest of town was. What'll I do now?

(a canoe appears)

Okay, maybe I can use the Atlanta metro's vast water resources to padle my way into town.... but wait, I can't do that. There's no water in town. That's why all that bottled water is coming into town, and also why the 'burbs are trying to find water like crazy to water their impeccable lawns. Oh well, nice try. (burns canoe in middle of a 15-lane metro Atlanta sprawlway)

(a policeman appears, who is roughly 400 pounds over normal weight)

Well, I guess burning canoes in the highway is frowned upon here. Oh well, it is in the rust belt, too. I just heard that since your values in the south free the individual so much more than those of the rust belt, it would be okay to freely burn a canoe in the highway as a demonstration against liberal government and the bailout. Oh well.

But suprisingly, the policeman is not getting out of the car. Instead, he writes a ticket for me as he's dunking a doughnut in his coffee, and...... what's this? A burgular is beating up an elderly women in an SUV stalled in Atlanta traffic in the northbound lanes of the sprawlway, with the cops' car pointing right at them. But the cop isn't moving. Maybe there is a HIGH crime rate here. I wonder why.

Anyways, I've had enough fun in your neck of the woods, and I also really don't want to pay for that ticket I got, so I'll hide up here in an abadoned warehouse with all of the other hobos who haven't yet crossed over to "high-class southern living" that Atlanta is. No worries, though. I guess we'll all be down there soon enough, living the life of southern suburbia, according to your statistics. Next time, though, I'll remember to bring my monster truck.
Lmao.

Riight. Because people are really considering Dayton, Ohio as a place to live.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 21,567 times
Default Get Real

Lighten up big guy.....This isn`t really necessary,but we`ll do it anyway.I have family that lives in Atlanta.Actually Atlanta.Not Woodstock,or 30 miles outside of town...
I have family that has been in the area since the American Revolution.And before..and yes my maternal Grandmother is part Cherokee though she used the term Tsaligi(spell check that)..My white ancestors lived in the area trading,and marrying local native americans.Many of their decendants died on the way to Oklahoma(where I also have family)..My family tree in Ga. dates back to before the Revolution(white side to)...Fiction?I really don`t care if you believe it or not.Doesn`t change Atlanta one bit.You`ve moved off the topic,and accused me of posting fiction.So here we go:

Spell checking me is rather childish....though you have a word below I`m not familiar with: "areain"...hehehe

I just followed up on the Lanier statement you made.It`s not user friendly,and hasn`t been since the shoreline was built up.Everyone in Atlanta knows that.And little country lakes?Well I mentioned 3 that are bigger than Lanier,and you said Lanier wasn`t little.Can`t have it both ways guy...

But there is 1 thing you said I like:the statement about my age!Now that I`ll thank you for since I`m over 60.

Here`s a link(may get deleted)for the City of Atlanta.It has the projected figures:City of Atlanta CDP - Population

Now I know you are a real smart guy,and I`m not,so I looked on the U.S.Census Bureau website.They say the census is every 10 years.The last one(the one used on the Atlanta web site)was 2000,and they state the next one is 2010...but you say the U.S.Census bureau just released the latest census so I guess I did something wrong in looking it up.Because we know you wouldn`t just say that...And maybe you can get them to take down that darn census countdown meter in the upper right corner..The fools have it set for Jan.1,2010!

80% of the metro area population are from Georgia?Now that is fiction...there were 4.5 million people in Ga. when Atlanta took off...So they all moved to Atlanta?Oh I see the people from Ohio,Pa.,NY,etc. didn`t move to Atlanta.They moved to the rural areas the locals moved out of...Right.

I`m am sorry if I offened anyone about Atlanta.I enjoy visiting my family there,and in the metro area.There are lots of nice people there.. I assure you I`m not jealous,and If I were I`d move there.

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself what a great place it is.And I`m sure for you it`s perfect.Atlanta is a great place to work..And if you have no need for anything else it`s the complete package.I hear your rants,but other than the "we know what`s to do in a big city" junk I still haven`t heard of anything.And again Atlanta is not a big city.It`s a big metro area.....

You were right about the fiction though...u juz didn`t know it waz yurs.

I do have 1 question..Do you even live in Atlanta?The city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Once again, let's look at some facts rather than the fiction that some people like to post:

1. Unless your family is Native American, it has NOT been in the Atlanta area since the American Revolution. The first European settlers came to the areain 1822 and settled in Decatur. So that statement is some of your fiction.

2. Most people in the area ARE from Georgia...around 80% of the popuation...and it's "Six Flags" - one g, not two.

3. "My" population figure is from the latest census that was just released...I'm not sure where you're getting that Atlanta won't exceed 500,000 by 2010 - it exceeded that figure a couple of years ago. It sounds like just some more of your fiction.

4. I could care less about how much shoreline Lake Lanier has compared to your little country lakes. It serves the purpose, and is very much a part of life in Atlanta, as is the Chattahoochee River. People who don't know much about life in Atlanta continually try to belittle our lakes and rivers, but it really doesn't work. Sorry.

5. Few cities in the U.S. that aren't on a lake or river? GREAT! Atlanta is unique in that way! Thanks for the compliment.

6. Everyone knows what Huntsville is famous for...it doesn't need your little plug.

7. Ruffle my feathers? Right. That's funny. Maybe you're just too young or immature to realize that jealosy/envy is very obvious when it presents itself through angry words. Yours is some of the most obvious I've ever seen...but denial is also a part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.