Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:18 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
If Southerners are all well-groomed, then all Pacific Northwesterners look like hobos that haven't have a bath in the river in months.

What's the logic in this statement? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

There are some well-groomed Southerners. Truth is, once you get outside of the major metropolitan areas, a large number (okay, most) of people look unkempt or just plain trashy.
Your statement could not be more wrong. When we go into other areas closer town we always notice the people do not dress as well as we do in the country. Trendy is not well dressed. Really well dressed people have developed their own style and know what looks good on them. Country people in the South and probably everywhere else are much better dressed than those who wear just about anything because it is in style. All styles do not look good on all people. Older women with their stomachs showing is just about as tacky as a person can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 08:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
There are different types of people in the South, like any other part of the country. There are so many stereotypes about the South, some even contradict each other. People say that the South is full of drunk Rednecks, but people also say that the South is full of uptight religious Conservatives (who do not drink) How can this be??? Let me decode it for you...

1. There's trailer trash Southerners who buy clothes from Wal-Mart. Usually live in rural areas, sometimes can be found close to major cities. Most are Baptist, Pentacostal, or Church or Christ, but many don't go to church at all. Most send their kids to public school, many dont graduate. They probably identify as Conservatives, but they're not uptight about it. You can often find them drinking, smoking, cursing, etc. And like I said, many don't go to church. These are the Southerners you see on Jerry Springer.

2. Middle-class Rednecks & new-money Southerners. Their kids follow trends (Abercrombie, Hollister, etc) but also like to wear camo jackets and boots with those clothes. They live in rural or suburban areas. Overwhelmingly Baptist, Methodist, or Mega-church goers. Most send their kids to public schools, but there's also a large number of home schoolers. They are religious Conservatives in every sense. Classic example of people who are trying to maintain their Southern identity but also trying to keep up with the rest of America.

3. And then there's Old Money Southerners. They don't follow trends, but still keep it classy. They like to wear Polos, loafers, khakis, and things they wore a decade ago and will continue to wear decades from now. They can be found in rural, urban, and older suburbs (not newer, cookie-cutter suburbs.) They're usually Presbyterian or Episcopalian, often Methodist. Catholics in some areas. Not many Baptists. These people send their kids to elite private schools. They're Fiscally Conservative, but socially Moderate, sometimes even Liberal in large cities. They often get lumped with Southern religious Conservatives, but keep in mind that they are Mostly Mainline Protestants, not Evangelicals.
I have never read a more accurate descrpition of the South's people and dress than yours. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
What does "Bama" have to do with bangs? The pic of the guy with bama bangs just looks like a reincarnation of the old "Beatle cut" of the 60's when most public schools didn't allow hair to touch the ears, yet allowed for a big sweep of hair to cover the forehead. I'm not up on the new hairstyles.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:37 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There are also:
There are PLENTY of Baptist folks with old and with newer money. You really can't classify Baptists as anything other than a socially and economically diverse group just like any other religion.
... countinued from my previous post.

If you look at the top private schools in the South that are affilated with a denomination, most are affiliated with Mainline Protestant denominations:

Duke- Methodist
Emory- Methodist
SMU- Methodist
Sewanee- Episcopal
Elon- United Church of Christ
Rhodes- Prsbyterian
Davidson- Presbyterian

There are a few top private schools that are Baptist, like Wake Forest, but the majority of Baptist/Evangelical schools in the South are not as well regarded.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
... countinued from my previous post.

If you look at the top private schools in the South that are affilated with a denomination, most are affiliated with Mainline Protestant denominations:

Duke- Methodist
Emory- Methodist
SMU- Methodist
Sewanee- Episcopal
Elon- United Church of Christ
Rhodes- Prsbyterian
Davidson- Presbyterian

There are a few top private schools that are Baptist, like Wake Forest, but the majority of Baptist/Evangelical schools in the South are not as well regarded.
I'd put Baylor, Furman, Stetson, Samford, Richmond and Mercer up there with your list -- all SBC related schools.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:59 AM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
I'm from the South and I tend to try and dress without any particular style but I usually wear a collared golf shirt. I get the "Tellum" bangs a little bit when my hair grows out. My father, who has never been a slave to fashion, usually wears jeans or khakis with a golf shirt. He used to wear plaid button downs though but I think that has evolved over the years as he usually wears whatever my mother buys him for Christmas!

The only reason I notice these things is that he goes for the functional. We call it his "uniform." We can look at pictures from the 80's and it's the same thing. lol.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:01 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times
No offense but i've only seen southerns dress noticibly fancy a couple of times and that was for church only.

Compared to the way people dress in Scotland they're way behind and don't seem to care how they look. Baggy Ts, baggy jeans, no makeup for the women. Very unkempt which says alot about the people and where they live, untidy yards, streets. It has a big knock on effect.

New York area was by far a complete contrast.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:19 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
No offense but i've only seen southerns dress noticibly fancy a couple of times and that was for church only.

Compared to the way people dress in Scotland they're way behind and don't seem to care how they look. Baggy Ts, baggy jeans, no makeup for the women. Very unkempt which says alot about the people and where they live, untidy yards, streets. It has a big knock on effect.

New York area was by far a complete contrast.
There are trashy areas in the South and there are nice areas. It depends on where you go. The same can be said for New York.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
It's amazing how offensive some people can be and oh yeah, stereotyping as well. "Scotslass" is always bashing the South. He or she lives in Scotland and obviously has not been to much of the South.....

Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Hair styles seem to very state to state as well. It seems like a lot of guys in Alabama have really long hair that is parted. In Kentucky most guys I know (and myself) have short hair cut in the Fade style

The stereotypical "Bama Bangs"

I'd give Brian Brohm and Jacob Tamme the nod as having the typical Kentucky hair cut

I have seen guys in Kentucky with the so called "Bama bangs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.