Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:14 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,491 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
I've noticed there are some misconceptions from some people on the coasts who associate "flyover country" with a percieved inferiority complex of the people who live there.

I can see where this comes from though. With media and common thought being that the coasts are the centers of the universe as far as the United States, people there tend to look at people in the middle of the country and the south as if they just don't understand what they're missing, or they just don't know any better.

It's like the 100 million in flyover country are standing outside the school gym in the cold watching the Senior Prom hosted by the west and east coasts.

There are many people who have grown up and moved from the middle of the country to the coasts, but that certainly doesn't mean the millions who are still living here are just too stupid to move away.

Growing up in Iowa we always felt like we were the butt of jokes and pity from the entire rest of the country, even the midwest. We all just chucked at it with a cynical little laugh though. We certainly didn't have an inferiority complex. Everyone I knew growing up in my family and my neighborhood traveled extensively throughout the country, and many times the world. Every one of them was perfectly happy to come back home to Iowa after their trip. The more I travled the more I laughed at "flyover country" comments, because I realized what an amazing, safe, secure and happy life I was given to live in Iowa. No traffic, no crime, amazing education, low poverty, low unemployment, clean cities, very compassionate population, being able to experience all the seasons.

The last thing myself or anyone I knew felt growing up was pity on ourselves for living in Iowa. I wouldn't have chosen anything else.

Many times I would overhear people talking about the traffic issues, crack wars and urban blight around the country and they'd always comment "thank god we live in Iowa". I always was confused by the complete ignorance of people making comments just because we didn't have cities of millions of people, or that it snowed and got cold in the winter. Big woop. We all know it's going to be cold in January and February. If we really didn't like it we'd just move away. I really have no problem with cold weather. It's not fun, but compared to all the sick things going on in this world, and the crime, poverty, racism, joblessness and dispair that grip so many people in the USA, a little cold weather is nothing to cry over.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Omaha. Everyone thinks it's a town in the middle of a cow pasture but really it's pretty neat and has a great music scene.

Minneapolis. People think it's a frozen tundra of death (which it is) but it's got a lot of culture, lots to do, and great universities too.
I don't think Minneapolis has an inferior complex at all. The city constantly ranks very well among "best" city lists and its citizens have more pride than most other cities. I moved to Minneapolis from Denver and Charlotte and I'd say those two cities, especially Charlotte have more of an inferior complex than Minneapolis.

My vote goes to Charlotte.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times
Hackensack, NJ

HUGE one on that. A lot there wanna get out real quick. but to me, if you get a beutiful house there it would be great.

but there is a lot of dumpy parts of the city.

I would think because that city is very diverse in the way it was built up. Like the way a lot these mansions have a huge 20 story buildings in there back yard and how all these suites apartment buildings border the projects. Also the rich and middle class and poor clash together and go to school together and a lot of the people cant relate.

usually people like to hang out with people who can relate with life.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:48 AM

347 posts, read 1,357,903 times
Detroit MI.

Ever since I moved here, I have been hearing from the locals "Why did you choose Detroit of all the places?"

Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
I'm happy to see that Cleveland was mentioned. I'd also like to add Youngstown. It fits the original poster's description perfectly. IMO, our inferiority complex is one of the biggest factors keeping us from making even more progress than we have.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:08 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
People in Minneapolis seem happy and upbeat for the most part. They also are very proud of their town. I can't say that I blame them, it's one of the nicest big cities I've ever seen.
When I told someone that I was going to Minneapolis for a visit, the only thing they could say was that it is cold up there.
When we got there, we quickly realized how cold it was, but it didn't seem too bad because nobody was complaining about it. People just went about their business. I saw a few people riding their bicycles in the snow... when the temps were around 15. What a great town.
Only outsiders put it down.
I wish it were 15 out. The temp is -6, but there are still bikers. They can shut down the interstate between Saint Cloud and Fargo, but my sidewalk is always open.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:23 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I don't think Minneapolis has an inferior complex at all. The city constantly ranks very well among "best" city lists and its citizens have more pride than most other cities. I moved to Minneapolis from Denver and Charlotte and I'd say those two cities, especially Charlotte have more of an inferior complex than Minneapolis.

My vote goes to Charlotte.
Really? You think Charlotte has “poor civic pride”??? Never heard that one. If anything, the criticisms are typically that people in Charlotte have “too much” civic pride. And Charlotte historically has done well in many “best city” lists as well. Here are some recent ones.

Forbes Best Cities for Young Professionals - #8 Charlotte, NC: Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

Forbes Best Cities for Recent College Grads - #7 Charlotte, NC: Best Cities For Recent College Grads - Forbes.com

Forbes Best Best Cities for Singles - #18 Charlotte, NC: Best Cities For Singles - Forbes.com

Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Ha ha, definitley Little Rock.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Scranton, PA.....way too many people here think its some kind of hell-hole with nothing to do, yet its a really nice place to live. Nice, family oriented neighborhoods, very low crime, nice older architecture, lots of city amenities, while being close to mountains, lakes, and all sorts of outdoor recreation....major cities closeby (NYC and Philly are both 2 hour drives). On top of all this, the cost of living is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.