Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
A big misconception about NYC is that we're rude. I hear most people say we're some of the friendliest and most helpful people they've met
I love NYC. It's my favorite city in the U.S. and quite possibly in the world. Part of the reason is the New Yorkers. I have had incredibly positive experiences with New Yorkers every time I've visited (which is not nearly often enough).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
San Diego
-it's warm year round (it was in the 40's this morning)
LOL! I hate to be the one to have to break this to you, but a lot of us would kill to have 40 degree temperatures on a January morning.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
My area on the Oregon coast
If you live on the Oregon coast, you live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. I envy you.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I love NYC. It's my favorite city in the U.S. and quite possibly in the world. Part of the reason is the New Yorkers. I have had incredibly positive experiences with New Yorkers every time I've visited (which is not nearly often enough).

Thank you, that's nice to say

Old 01-06-2009, 07:03 AM

61 posts, read 261,028 times
This makes me think of this hilarious scene from 30 Rock..

I love New York!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times
I consider myself to be living in a suburb of New York City--especially since my wife and I mostly work in New York City and we only live a mile and a half from the World Trade Center, but technically we live in Jersey City, and that will probably be more interesting to answer. So, for Jersey City:

The most common misconception from fellow New Jerseyans--that you're putting your life at risk if you step foot in it--no matter where in Jersey City you go. This is partially due to what Jersey City used to be like. I think these folks picture it as something like the place you see at the end of the film Sid and Nancy. It hasn't been like that for awhile.

The most common misconception I encounter from people outside of New Jersey (aside from misconceptions about Jersey in general)--usually from people thinking about moving here because they want to be close to New York City, is that Jersey City is going to be far more affordable than other places in or close to New York City. In reality the real estate range in terms of what you can get for your money is comparable to almost everywhere else around here, including quite a few areas of Manhattan.

The most common misconception about New Jersey in general is that it's just a big industrial wasteland. In reality, much of it has a "country" feel, there are some beautiful rolling hills and small mountains, huge expanses of pine forests, great beaches, estuaries, etc. Much of Sussex County, for example, looks more like a Grant Wood painting.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 AM

62 posts, read 228,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ hes saying KC is not in Kansas.
Kansas City Kansas is in Kansas. Kansas City Mo. is not ... but who'd want to go to MO? (wink)

Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
3. Chicago is a dangerous place. Sure, we've got a crime issue in Chicago.
I see that the crime index for Chicago has decreased every single year since 1999, which is good.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Misconceptions about St. Paul:
1. That it is a carbon copy of Minneapolis.
1a.That its is interchangable with Minneapolis.
2. That it has always played second fiddle to Minneapolis.
3. That its cultural heritage is Scandinavian/Lutheran.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:23 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
we did not steal the supersonics.
That's how I understand it.

Chicago is not all gangs like Al Capone and Michael Jordan. Just a few years too late on those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.