Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've seen tons of people from NJ who say they want to be another borough of NYC. I totally agree with KONY. See, there's been a few other locals who feel the same way. It isn't just me.
I would bet a month's pay check that if you did a poll asking North Jersey residents if they would like to become " The 6th borough of NYC", it would be a resounding no!
A few people on C-D does not make a consensus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
This link to a report at the Census Bureau website's section on metropolitan areas is gold to anyone interested in the question of how metro areas are defined: http://www.census.gov/population/www...s/98-33676.pdf. The report reviews the history of the Census Bureau's definitions of metropolitan areas, provides detail about the current standards for defining metro areas, discusses advantages and disadvantages of various methods of identifying metro areas, and suggests possible changes in method which might be implemented in the future in order to counter the shortcomings of the current method of defining metro areas based on commuting patterns.

One paragraph in this report is key:

MAs are a Federal statistical standard designed solely for the
preparation, presentation, and comparison of data. Before the MA
concept was introduced in 1949 with Standard Metropolitan Areas (SMAs),
inconsistencies between statistical area boundaries and units made
comparisons of data from Federal agencies difficult. Thus, MAs are
defined according to specific, quantitative criteria (standards) to
help government agencies, researchers, and others achieve uniform use
and comparability of data on a national scale. (p. 70526)

That last sentence, about defining metro areas "according to specific, quantitative criteria," is especially significant. There are advantages and disadvantages to any method of identifying metro areas' boundaries, but in order to be useful in comparing metro areas, a method has to involve objective criteria. Since the Census Bureau's identification of metropolitan areas on the basis of objective data enables consistency in comparison, this is more accurate, and provides a more solid basis for discussion and comparison, than personal perceptions about which locations "seem" to be all part of one local area, how far out from a principal city the landscape "appears" to remain densely populated, how close to or far away from the hub city a location "should" be in order to be included in a metro area, whether it's "fair" for metro A to have more area or greater end-to-end extent than metro B, or other such subjective perceptions about how different metros compare to each other.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
The Metro doesn't enter Delaware and does not go half way to NC. You' are strange how you take your anger out on the Balwash metro just because its bigger than Philly and tell lies about it.
Don't forget (and) better.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Poor rainrock. Deep down I'm sure he's a decent guy. I wish he would just move to NYC so he could brag all day and night. At least in that sense he would make sense.

This Philly talk he keeps giving doesn't make any sense.

However, with all of his nonsense, he makes the best sense as a DC lobbyist.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
San Bernardino/Riverside, extends all the way to the Arizona line, at Needles, through about 200 miles of desert. 27,298 Square Miles, bigger than West Virginia

Last edited by jtur88; 01-02-2009 at 11:54 PM..

Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
^
I was just about to say the same.
I understand the Western portion of Riverside and San Bernadino county are occupied and it is fair enough to say they are part of the greater Los Angeles Metropolitan area.
But... I highly doubt that someone from Needles, CA would go to Los Angeles very often...They would be better off going to Las Vegas...which is closer by about 130 mile...or to Phoenix which is closer by about 20 miles.
or Blythe, CA...jeez... it's "part of Los Angeles" but oddly closer to Phoenix by 75 miles...which is over an hour of driving difference. and closer to Las Vegas by about 10.
Needles is not part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area...
and perhaps some of the more "out there" ones like Twentynine Palms, CA and Barstow, CA arn't either.
Los Angeles take the prize for this one...The "metropolitan area" is across the state and is bigger then probably half the states i the US.

Last edited by CMDallas; 01-03-2009 at 12:36 AM..

Old 01-03-2009, 01:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Don't forget (and) better.
Extremely debatable gang. You have absolutely no answer for Center City Philly.Princeton + Penn #2 +#5 ranked universities in the country in our backyard, and the geographiy of Pa can arguably match anything in VA or Md. I respect the wealth and landscape of Dc-Bal but theres not a doubt in my mind that we would take you down.

Every cent of income tax in this country ends up in Washington DC and they keep it in Washington DC. The wealth of the Philadlephia metro isnt too far behind DC but the difference is that we earn our money through hard work, self preservation and ingenuity. No freebies here, no trillion dollar government contracts, no arab sheiks dropping 50 B dollars into the local economy, just good old creativity and hard work and you have to respect that in a region.

We certainly dont get the rep and we dont get the government perks but I think we would kick your ass anyway.

Last edited by rainrock; 01-03-2009 at 01:49 AM..

Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
Poor rainrock. Deep down I'm sure he's a decent guy. I wish he would just move to NYC so he could brag all day and night. At least in that sense he would make sense.

This Philly talk he keeps giving doesn't make any sense.

However, with all of his nonsense, he makes the best sense as a DC lobbyist.
What doesnt make any sense?

Wash-Bal metro(2 combined metroes)= 10,000 sq miles

Philadlephia =5,000 sq miles. Philadlephia at 10,000 sq miles has 1.5 million more people living around it than Wash-Bal. But for whatever reason Trenton 15 miles away Reading 35 miles away etc etc dont get included in Phillys metro.

NO big deal though who cares its totally irrelevant to anything other than a friendly squabble.

Last edited by rainrock; 01-03-2009 at 01:51 AM..

Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
palm beach county excluding itself from (broward and dade county) would be a metro of 1.3million peopel. Wow.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:17 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
ajf131,

St. Louis metros land area is incredibly overextended if you plan on comparing it to Cleveland. Clevelands metro is actually a lot more dense than St. Louis' and it still would be if Cleveland took up as much land area. Cleveland has 2.2 million in 2,000 sq miles, St. Louis has 2.8 million in 8,650 miles. That makes Clevelands' metro about 3-4 times denser now. NE Ohio takes up approximately as much land area as the St. Louis metro, and NE Ohio with that land area contains 5.2 million people, and if that was all in Clevelands metro it would be nearly twice as dense as St. Louis metro. Your entire argument makes no sense and is full of flaws. St. Louis metro contains many areas that are very low-density or even rural. If we did add Akron-Canton than St. Louis would still cover nearly twice as much land area, but we would have 3.4 million people over St. Louis' 2.8 million. Cleveland is as large or larger than St. Louis no matter what way you look at it, and denser (except central city limits). The formula for metro area is just not fair for Cleveland.

Just look at this density map (or any other density map): http://cohn.files.wordpress.com/2008...on-density.png
Cleveland/NE Ohio is much more dense than St. Louis and its metro, and the density covers a much larger area.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 01-03-2009 at 04:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.