Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:42 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times

Advertisements

How about Louisville, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh or Indianapolis? All afe pretty nice cities with lots of variety.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM

40 posts, read 55,807 times
Louisville is still too South for me. Ohio has been vetoed by my husband (see earlier posts) and so has PA. I have heard Indianapolis is a really cool city! I may look into that...no mountains anywhere close though :-(

Old 01-09-2009, 01:15 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
Now, with that being said....JV, I have Hartford on my list of cities to research more but please stop selling it to me in the meantime! I think it's awesome that you LOVE your city and I really appreciate your advice but please back off of making me love it! Are there any other suggestions for cities on here besides the ones in CT??? It's like somebody said on the NJ board when someone asked how NJ compares to CT....CT is vanilla. I'm sorry, but that's how I see it, too. I'm not saying I won't look into it more but it honestly doesn't thrill me right now and I shouldn't be faulted for MY OPINION. I know people hate NJ for some reason but I actually like the more urban feel of it. There is more to NJ than Newark and Camden. Wayne and the 23 area is actually really quaint with VERY close proximity to NYC. I am totally open to people's suggestions and REALLY appreciate them but please read my original post about our wants before responding. THANKS!
I can see how someone can come to that conclusion...but really, don't flatter yourself. I am more concerned with squashing misconceptions about our area due to skewed "statistics", then being a real estate agent. You called my home a dump, stuffy and vanilla without knowing a thing about it.

Perhaps you expected me to say "oh yea, right what was I thinking?" Sorry but I'm not wired that way.

To be upfront, I have a love/hate relationship with this area and it's not my home town. I would rather be in Southern Coastal or Mid-coast Maine but it's not realistic and this is the best combination of city, work, quality of life, culture, price, history and location in one place that I've found from roving the country.

Denver always seemed to be a nice town...I havn't been there in years, but I have a friend who left to escape the "Cowboys" as he put it. Don't know if it's accurate, that's what I was told.

Good luck to you.

P.S. You seem to be pretty "upfront" and so are we around here, so I hope you accept it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
If you are considering buying, right now is an excellent time, as you probably know. Have you thought about Fairfield County in CT? Prices for homes have plunged for the most part, and it is an excellent quality of life. Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield and all the towns in-between can be expensive, but also there are hidden pockets within the 3 I mentioned that are amazing.
I live in Stamford and it is a wonderful place to be. Just 44 mins to the city by train.
Yea, I agree and if you can afford it, Stamford fits the bill all the way. Not sure of the OP's budget - many folks say "nice place" and then go into sticker shock. lol

Actually, New Haven might be a better fit then Hartford all said and done. Still have train access to NYC and it's much more affordable then FFC.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
If you are considering buying, right now is an excellent time, as you probably know. Have you thought about Fairfield County in CT? Prices for homes have plunged for the most part, and it is an excellent quality of life. Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield and all the towns in-between can be expensive, but also there are hidden pockets within the 3 I mentioned that are amazing.
I live in Stamford and it is a wonderful place to be. Just 44 mins to the city by train.

Southern CT is nearly as expensive as Long Island though, isn't it?

Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 PM

40 posts, read 55,807 times
Well basically if we decide to move to the NYC Metro area I would just do a job search about 40 miles out and then move where we find the best job/city fit. So you guys are just helping with that potential decision right now (so thanks in advance! lol ) In my opinion, it's almost 6 in one, half dozen in the other for that area. They all have enough pros and cons that it would probably just come down to job opportunity at that time.

So, besides the NYC area, what other areas of the country do people have opinions about??? Again, please read my original post for our preferences so that we don't waste each other's time when you suggest Atlanta and I have to yell at you KIDDING!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:50 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Lindsey, the problem with NYC, other than cost, is that it's not a great place for outdoorsy people. If you like hiking, surfing, whatever, it's just hard to get out of the city. People here like to get together for dinner, brunch, drinks, museum & gallery visits, etc-- in other words, urban things. There is decent hiking and even surfing near here but it's not part of the mainstream culture. If you live out in Stamford or somewhere, much better for the hiking, etc., but being out there makes it hard to make regular use of the city. So Denver, Boulder, Seattle, Portland (OR) are better choices for a city scene where people like to do both.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:59 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
People here like to get together for dinner, brunch, drinks, museum & gallery visits, etc-- in other words, urban things....If you live out in Stamford or somewhere, much better for the hiking, etc., but being out there makes it hard to make regular use of the city. So Denver, Boulder, Seattle, Portland (OR) are better choices for a city scene where people like to do both.
What the hell do you think we do in our cities of Stamford, New Haven, and Hartford. lol

That was the whole point to my post...you can live in a small city (Relatively speaking) such as Hartford or New Haven, not have to pay NYC prices, have access to outdoor stuff and still have very easy access to NYC and Boston when you want it.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Yes, you can go, but being two or three hours away is not like living there. If you want to be in the scene, get into personal networks, be regulars at various places, you can't do that from Stamford or Hartford. I think she wants a city with lots of public space, somewhere you don't have to drive everywhere, people hang out in cafes, parks, whatever... New York is like that and it's hard to find elsewhere. Boston and Cambridge, yes. Providence maybe, Northampton, MA even. New Haven? Maybe, but if you're not in the Yale scene you remain an outsider. Hartford is very suburban (read, people drive everywhere). At my age, I'd get the hell out of Brooklyn and live in Hartford happily but I think they want something else. But NY is not a great place if you want to go hiking every weekend. Nobody you meet can even imagine doing such a thing. They'll want to get together for brunch and a visit to the Whitney. By then your day is over and you never got out of Manhattan. Or Brooklyn. So I think Seattle or Denver--maybe there all your friends hang out in the city but want to go rock climbing too.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Quote:
Your post is FULL of what you are accusing CT of being!!!

First, Atlanta is HELL to me!!!! It is nothing but AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL traffic and dreadful people!!!! The only reason people think Atlanta is a big city is because they consider forty thousand (exaggeration of course) tiny spread out suburbs to be part of the city!!! Not to mention that if you read my wants in the original post, we do NOT want to live in the Southeast!!! We live there now, that's not moving away! So that rules out your Chesapeake, VA suggestion as well.
I'm not even going to comment on Syracuse. Really?!?! The locals don't even want to live there!!!
CT has a resentment for modern culture?! That makes no sense....basically they don't want their residents with pants so slacked their underwear is showing so that makes them resentful of modern culture? I don't like modern rock or hip hop (actually HATE hip hop) so I'm okay with that. More minorities in politics? In 11 days we will have a minority president. Enough said! If minorities want to be in politics, RUN!!! Lots of the "kids in the hood" could go to college if they would lay off the drugs and guns....I hear those don't look good on a college application. No money? I hear they have these crazy things called LOANS now!!! I know because I make a monthly payment to my lender!
You really need to open your mind!!!
I really think you should move west, not north. Denver is very different than N.C., which sounds like something you want. Denver is a good town near spectacular outdoor activities. If you don't mind rain, I'd strongly recommend Seattle and Portland b/c you want to live in an urban area near mountains. I'd rate Seattle as a better urban city than Denver, and probably would rate Portland as a better urban city than Denver as well, but Denver isn't bad, and it has less dreary weather.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Tetto...you should re-read all of the posts and think about how ridiculous you sound. I have been very open to everyone's suggestions. But remember, I asked for SUGGESTIONS!!! Just because I don't take them or don't want to be hounded about one particular place does not mean I am not open to what people say. If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. Thanks for not helping, only criticizing!
I sound ridiculous? How do you think you sound? I tried to help you, but you slapped down CT without knowing a single thing about it. Try visiting a few places before you start asking strangers where you should live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.