Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:14 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,035 times

Advertisements

The correct answer is the Northeast, particularly New York, Connecticut, and Boston, in addition to any place within close proximity to an Ivy League school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,325 times
@DinsdalePirahna
Long Island is preppy, Old Brookville & Upstate New York is rich & preppy. Scarsdale, Edgemont etc...

The houses there are 5,000+ SqF but they're mostly filled by the Businessmen & Real Estate moguls, so i guess in some aspects, they're not "Preppy" as not many kids live there in their own house.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,325 times
Virginia is Preppy, VA has Short Pump(West End) & Stony Point Fashion Park(Chesterfield - I think?). But, they have the "West End" I know, because i live in Glen Allen & am a Junior @ Deep Run, all the kids here have money, their parents tend to be lawyers and businessmen. Deep Run High School is wealthy, that's the "Rich Kid school" along with Godwin but Deep Run is more wealthy.

[url=http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Glen-Allen-VA/31751_rid/37.806665,-77.410183,37.594784,-77.659092_rect/11_zm/1_fr/]Glen Allen Real Estate & Glen Allen VA Homes for Sale - Zillow[/url] -- Some of the housing that's in Glen Allen.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:35 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123456790 View Post
@DinsdalePirahna
Long Island is preppy, Old Brookville & Upstate New York is rich & preppy. Scarsdale, Edgemont etc...

The houses there are 5,000+ SqF but they're mostly filled by the Businessmen & Real Estate moguls, so i guess in some aspects, they're not "Preppy" as not many kids live there in their own house.
I think my last post was 2 years ago.

Yes, Long Island has plenty of pockets of preppies. Mostly North Shore up to St. James and the East End).
But on the whole I would not consider Long Island Preppy.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 PM

5 posts, read 13,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
That's a suburb of Richmond. And everyone definitely does not drive those cars you mentioned.

Does Richmond even have a Ralph Lauren store?
No, we do not have a Ralph Lauren store. You can find the outlet stores in Williamsburg and wherever else we have outlets. We do, on the other hand, have a Vineyard Vines Store, a Brooks Brothers Store, a Southern Proper store, Peter Blair, and Francos (a store that sells various brands like Southern Tide, Vineyard Vines, and Barbour). During the winter, most of the time, you see high school and college kids wearing Bean Boots, khaki pants, Barbour jackets, Patagonia jackets, etc. That's "southern prep". Southern Tide and Vineyard Vines seem to be the most popular in Richmond right now, especially since we just got the VV store at Stony Point. Ralph Lauren and BB still seem to be pretty prominent though.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,384 times
Like a previous poster, I also grew up on the Upper East Side and have spent more than enough time in a few of the "preppy areas" in the country. Traditional preppy to me is a composition of dress, manners and tradition. In my opinion, we need to distinguish preppy from waspy. A lot of waspy people I know would be considered preppy but a good majority of the preppy people I know would not be considered waspy. As already mentioned, both are different from yuppies.

Last edited by sheaosaurus; 07-22-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 PM

541 posts, read 912,438 times
New England and Boston especially.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
According to the goth kids on South Park, it's Scottsdale.

Scottsdale - Video Clips - South Park Studios

Old 09-02-2013, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 7,204 times
The central part of Baltimore (Homeland and Roland Park) all the way to the far northern suburbs (horse country) is very preppy. There is a plethora of old money and private schools. A lot of the kids play lacrosse (one of the mecca's for the sport), field hockey, golf, squash, tennis, etc.

Annapolis has a preppy feel also because of the strong boating culture.

In the DC area, definitely Georgetown and also big swaths of Montgomery County, especially Potomac.

A certain level of socio-economic status is usually associated with preppiness, but for me it's more about classiness, sophistication (but not haughtiness), and if you are wealthy, a strong sense of noblese oblige.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:16 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,701 times
Anywhere in the NE, particularly New England, in those whitebread states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.