Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:17 AM

717 posts, read 2,808,931 times

Advertisements

Smithfield, Va
Dahlonega, GA
Madison, GA
Lititz,PA
Caledesi Island, FL
Old Salem, NC
Bucks County,PA
Covered Bridges in Indiana--Nashville, IN
Conway, NH
Wolfeboro, NH
Too many more to list.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 PM

I misssed the OP part about "in your state"

Delray Beach, FL

Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Door County, WI has been mentioned, and I have to second that. The towns of Ephraim, Fish Creek, Egg Harbor, Sister Bay, Ellison Bay, Sister Bay, etc., are all very unique and beautiful venues. Door County is not really a "hidden gem," as it has more than 2 million visitors annually, but it's pretty unique to the Midwest. Door County is the 4th top cherry producing area in the U.S., and cherry picking is a nice way to spend an afternoon. I also enjoy all the galleries, and have found some very unique pieces of art. What I enjoy most, though, are the shorelines - just beautiful.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Here's a link - Door County Wisconsin: Your Midwest Vacation Destination

Be sure to check out the interactive photo gallery.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:13 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default The Niagara Escarpment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Door County, WI has been mentioned, and I have to second that. The towns of Ephraim, Fish Creek, Egg Harbor, Sister Bay, Ellison Bay, Sister Bay, etc., are all very unique and beautiful venues. Door County is not really a "hidden gem," as it has more than 2 million visitors annually, but it's pretty unique to the Midwest. Door County is the 4th top cherry producing area in the U.S., and cherry picking is a nice way to spend an afternoon. I also enjoy all the galleries, and have found some very unique pieces of art. What I enjoy most, though, are the shorelines - just beautiful.
The cliffs and hills of Door County are actually part of the same ridge that makes up Niagara Falls!

The ridge is called the Niagara Escarpment and goes all the way from Door County, under Lake Michigan and Lake Huron (except for some islands), to the Bruce Peninsula in Southern Ontario.

It then continues across Southern Ontario through the suburbs of the Toronto Metro area till it reaches Niagara Falls. There is a hiking trail most of its length in Ontario - much of it in the Toronto metro area. The Bruce peninsula itself is sort of Ontario's version of the Door peninsula.

After the falls, the escarpment continues past the farmlands of Western NY until it reaches Rochester & the Genesse river and 3 more waterfalls.
Supposedly the escarpment continues on toward near Syracuse but I have not seen it.

Not bad at all for a ridge!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:19 PM

I have been to Door County, WI and found it to be beautiful. This has easily been 25 yrs. ago so I don't know what it is like now, but I really liked it.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:46 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Saranac Lake, NY
Grand Marais, MN
Petoskey, MI
Eagle River, WI
Tawas City, MI
Minocqua/Woodruff, WI
Lutsen, MN
Silver Bay, MN
Camden, ME
North Conway, NH
Gunnison, CO
Jackson, WY
Woodstock, VT
Wolfeboro, NH
Ogunquit, ME
Snowshoe, WV
Egg Harbor, WI

Old 02-01-2009, 06:53 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Nogales, AZ
Compton, CA
Maywood, IL
Those are some awesome places! I've never been to Maywood, IL, but I love Compton and Nogales. I'll be sure to go to Maywood since you've lumped these three together. Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
A lot of these places are not exactly unknown.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A lot of these places are not exactly unknown.
But "known" and "unknown" to whom? It all depends on one's own perspective and worldliness. If you get to travel a lot more than I do, then many,many places may be unknown to me--but not to you.

I have enjoyed reading through the lists provided. I have been to many of the places listed and have not personally been to many others. That means it is another possibility for a trip of exploration...

As for the places listed that I have been too, I always think it's neat to see that somebody else liked it as much as I did.

Keep the "hidden gems" comin'

It's pretty much impossible to be totally "unknown" today anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.