Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:46 PM

137 posts, read 294,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I don't really like to say that I'm proud to be an American, per se, because pride implies that I somehow deserve the good fortune of being born here.

I am very thankful to be an American.

What are you talking about? You're born where you're born. Have some pride already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 02:55 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger15 View Post
What are you talking about? You're born where you're born. Have some pride already.
I have pride in things I worked hard to accomplish. That's what "pride" means to me. I'm proud of many of the things this country has done over the years, but I can't say that I'm proud of myself for being born here.

Being proud of America and being proud to be an American are two different things.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:15 PM

256 posts, read 750,258 times
Quote:
I have pride in things I worked hard to accomplish. That's what "pride" means to me. I'm proud of many of the things this country has done over the years, but I can't say that I'm proud of myself for being born here.

Being proud of America and being proud to be an American are two different things.
I really don't think they are, though. I think being proud to be an American simply means you're proud of America and what it's done, simple as that.

The way I see it, being proud to be an American means that you're proud to be from a country that has done such great things, not that you're proud to have been born here or proud that you got the chance to live here and other people didn't.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
I really don't think they are, though. I think being proud to be an American simply means you're proud of America and what it's done, simple as that.

The way I see it, being proud to be an American means that you're proud to be from a country that has done such great things, not that you're proud to have been born here or proud that you got the chance to live here and other people didn't.
I understand your point of view, but don't share it. The word "pride" has a great deal of power to me, and I tend to try to reserve its use.

That's just me. I understand that you have a different viewpoint. That's one of the reasons I'm grateful to be an American.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:32 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I find myself bursting with pride when I see our President, the First Lady and also our Secretary of State on the television....I feel proud to be an American.....and a deep sense of Joy and happiness.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:11 PM

256 posts, read 750,258 times
Quote:
I understand your point of view, but don't share it. The word "pride" has a great deal of power to me, and I tend to try to reserve its use.

That's just me. I understand that you have a different viewpoint. That's one of the reasons I'm grateful to be an American.
Fair enough.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 PM

137 posts, read 294,782 times
So you're grateful and thankful to live in America but not proud of it? Sounds a little hypocritical to me.

That's like saying you're thankful for friends to make a cross country visit to come see you and get to your place safe, but you don't really want to hang out with them. You're not proud to be associated with them. And something's not right about that.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
So you're grateful and thankful to live in America but not proud of it? Sounds a little hypocritical to me.

That's like saying you're thankful for friends to make a cross country visit to come see you and get to your place safe, but you don't really want to hang out with them. You're not proud to be associated with them. And something's not right about that.
That's not at all what I mean. I simply don't think the word "proud" is applicable, because to me it conveys a sense of entitlement and accomplishment for something you did nothing to deserve. Simply being an American is not, in my opinion, an accomplishment.

I don't see that as hypocrisy at all. I feel that "proud", along with lots of other words like "love", is overused, to the point where it's lost some of it's intrinsic value. Words are important.

I'm not looking for you to agree with me.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:48 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:

no, pride is often associated with condescension of something else in comparison, especially when it comes to the generic nationalism of americana.

there is a fine line between good pride and arrogance. too many americans or any 'nationalists' feel they are better than others inherently from other countries and nationalities. they have an us vs them mentality. so he/she is saying they are aware of the positives and are grateful but not associating or equating their self-worth in comparison to others as better because it is ludicrous to do so. AND many people do because people are HYPOCRITICAL (as you say) and just stupid.

i've seen too many americans think they are actually better than other people simply because they are 'americans'. that's not only rude but just illogical and stupid.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:59 PM

188 posts, read 521,027 times
No, I am not proud of our country or the actions we have taken recently (dumping the remainder of our money on an unecessary 'war' like haphazard fools, and not being able to prevent the cause of our failing economy), but I am not going to become bitter about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.