Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times

Advertisements

Phoenix mornings and evenings are colder than most think in Dec., Jan. and Feb. You have to wear a winter jacket, mittens and hat many of the coolest ones. It's not tropical those months like people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Southern Ca. Some people seem to think it's tropical and has warm winters where you can easily spend the day at the beach. It may be warmer than much of the country in winter but highs in the low 60's and lows in the 40's and even 30's farther inland isn't "warm" overall.

People are probably surprised by how cool it is during later spring/early summer too during "May Gray" and
"June Gloom" months where prevalent overcast conditions can hold the temps down.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,936,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Texas.
Exactly. I was in Dallas in January and it felt like the winds had come in straight from the North Pole. Both Amarillo and Lubbock routinely get multiple inches of snow almost every winter, and even Houston when the wind picks up can almost feel like Cleveland when stiff breezes come off the water. El Paso's palm trees were nearly destroyed last winter (I haven't heard about them lately). Only the Rio Grande Valley is comparable to Florida in regards to winter temperatures.

Cold weather can be refreshing, though, and it sends the bugs into hiding.

Last edited by shoe01; 06-06-2011 at 04:55 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM

195 posts, read 250,580 times
This thread should be in the weather section of city-data.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Southern Ca. Some people seem to think it's tropical and has warm winters where you can easily spend the day at the beach. It may be warmer than much of the country in winter but highs in the low 60's and lows in the 40's and even 30's farther inland isn't "warm" overall.

People are probably surprised by how cool it is during later spring/early summer too during "May Gray" and
"June Gloom" months where prevalent overcast conditions can hold the temps down.
What???
Highs in the low 60s is warm dude... That is what most people consider a beautiful and warm SPRING day, much less winter. People are out here running in shorts in the 40s. The average high in April here is in the 50s and it is still snowing. The average *high* here in January is 29, and that is without wind chill, with average low at 15...again, w/o wind chill... wind chill usually puts it a consistent 0 as a low and it get down to -50s wind chill and -20s actual.
People here will definitely be out at the beach if it is 60s.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What???
Highs in the low 60s is warm dude... That is what most people consider a beautiful and warm SPRING day, much less winter. People are out here running in shorts in the 40s. The average high in April here is in the 50s and it is still snowing. The average *high* here in January is 29, and that is without wind chill, with average low at 15...again, w/o wind chill... wind chill usually puts it a consistent 0 as a low and it get down to -50s wind chill and -20s actual.
People here will definitely be out at the beach if it is 60s.
It's all relative though, once you get used to a certain climate after awhile your definitions start to change for what you consider "hot, cold, warm, etc..". Seen plenty of who grew up in Boston and Chicago complain about temps in Southern CA after living there for a while. They know it's still better than what the weather is like back home but they've gotten used to Southern CA's climate. But I do realize how complaining about something like that might sound ridiculous to much of the country that gets much colder in winter.

I remember some of my relatives in Hawaii complaining about how "hot" it was during a "heat wave" in Honolulu where temps were in the low 90's even though the average high July and August is 88 and 89 respectively. But the all time record highs for those months are 93 and 94. They were complaining about temps that weren't even more than 5 degrees above normal. Or them complaining about how "cold" the water is in winter, down to a "chilly" 76 degrees even though that is about the warmest it gets in Southern Ca during summer.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of people don't realize how "cold" Central and Northern FL can be in winter either even though it's not that "cold" in comparison to the rest of the country.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Oh I know exactly what you are talking about, it takes moving out of that area to appreciate the weather more, having lived in both FL and CA I definitely know the feeling and would complain while growing up... If I go visit there in the winter now, trust me, I am not complaining and even if it is 50s and 60s I will be walking around in shorts!

North FL is about like San Diego in winter, 60/40. Same with Houston/Austin

I have known somebody from Miami that moved up farther north and florida and thought they were going to freeze, had to move back to miami, where jan high is mid 70s and really never gets below 60 ever.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:07 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Phoenix mornings and evenings are colder than most think in Dec., Jan. and Feb. You have to wear a winter jacket, mittens and hat many of the coolest ones. It's not tropical those months like people think.
Surprisingly its true. Ive had a few mornings and nights in Tucson and Phoenix down in the upper 20s and lower 30s.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Flagstaff, Arizona looks to be one of the snowiest places in the US according to this site. I don't know if people are "surprised" by that, but it's the furthest south I find for snowy places.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Flagstaff-Arizona.html

Lubbock looks like it's regularly windy and below 40 in January. That might not be super-cold, but maybe not what people in the rest of the nation would think.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c467.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Lubbock-Texas.html

Note: I see mdp_az and shoe01 dealt with these two cities.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,332 times
People think that when you get below Richmond, it doesn't get cold at all. A lot of people think Charleston is warm all year. It is not. The average high in January is only 59 degrees, low for this far south.

It can get much colder though. There's at least 10 nights a year below freezing. Each of the last three winters, we've had temperatures in the low 20s and even teens at night. In December, there's been days stuck in the 30s. The last two winters we've had snow on the ground at some point. Last winter it snowed on the day after Christmas, and the year before that some places got 7-9" of snow not far inland in mid February. A few years ago, it snowed two days before Thanksgiving.

This winter we had an ice storm, and the town shut down. Everything was closed. Even the malls opened late.

Other years, we've had days in the 70s and even some 80s. It varies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.