Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:16 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,565,571 times

Advertisements

What cities in America are surprisingly colder than you would think?

My vote goes to Albuquerque. The average daytime highs in January are only 48! Most people think it's in the 60's or 70's in winter but this isn't true, mostly due to the elevation. ABQ is only about 300' below Denver in elevation. There are days when the daytime high is even colder due to storms. Thankfully by mid-Feb spring is in the air.

It snows there every winter , 7-11 inches per year, never sticks around for more than a few days at most but it gets colder in ABQ than most people would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM

19 posts, read 57,416 times
My vote goes to Richmond, Virginia. I mean, who thought the Northern Virginia Army had snow to work with? That does not explain the malaria problem down there. I went there once in October and it was 70 degrees!!!

This thread is just catering to pro-tundra types. Sorry, Sarah Palin can run again in 2012.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:16 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,565,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwithacause View Post
My vote goes to Richmond, Virginia. I mean, who thought the Northern Virginia Army had snow to work with? That does not explain the malaria problem down there. I went there once in October and it was 70 degrees!!!

This thread is just catering to pro-tundra types. Sorry, Sarah Palin can run again in 2012.
please take all your meds before posting. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 PM

256 posts, read 750,634 times
Yeah, Virginia can get really cold. I was just up in Roanoke for a funeral and we drove through a snow storm on the way there!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:33 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,682,858 times
I guess it's cold for my standards, but even in the Carolinas, the average high temperatures can go down into the upper 40s in January. It just depends on where you live. Average lows were in the 20s up until about a week or two ago. Depending on where you live, we can accumulate a few inches of snow. In metro Charlotte, the snow storms have been extremely hit and miss. The eastern suburbs and city have gotten measurable snow a few times while we in the western suburbs have been disappointed every time. Back to the cold though; we've hit single digits once or twice this winter, and we hit a low temperature of 13 degrees around Thanksgiving, way before Winter officially arrived. Of course, it gets very warm here (like the 70s we had last week), but we can have very deceiving winters. This fall/winter season has been much cooler than what we're used to.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,382,775 times
I was in Columbia, SC for army boot camp. It was very cold and we had to keep coal going in the furnaces. In January it snowed. We had Puerto Ricans in the company. They put their hands over their heads, broke formation and ran for cover.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:19 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,036,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
What cities in America are surprisingly colder than you would think?

My vote goes to Albuquerque. The average daytime highs in January are only 48! Most people think it's in the 60's or 70's in winter but this isn't true, mostly due to the elevation. ABQ is only about 300' below Denver in elevation. There are days when the daytime high is even colder due to storms. Thankfully by mid-Feb spring is in the air.

It snows there every winter , 7-11 inches per year, never sticks around for more than a few days at most but it gets colder in ABQ than most people would think.

thats average 48, so that means there are plenty of days that reach into the 50's and some 60's for being January that is perfect weather to me. The sun shines almost all the time and its intense so it feels much warmer than it really is and there isnt any wind to make it feel colder. We rarely ever have a high in the 30's, maybe once or twice a month and on most days I wear a short sleeved shirt and a hoodie at night.

The snow is usually gone by the next day or its gone by noon and if you slept til noon you might not even know that it snowed. The east side of the city gets most of the snow, the west side of the city gets less and this winter I've only seen maybe 2-3 inches at the most.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:07 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,682,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I was in Columbia, SC for army boot camp. It was very cold and we had to keep coal going in the furnaces. In January it snowed. We had Puerto Ricans in the company. They put their hands over their heads, broke formation and ran for cover.
Yeah, I went to college in Columbia and it did get cold there. It rarely snows in Columbia, though...they get ice storms every now and then, but they usually cut off between Columbia and Charlotte.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:31 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,406,195 times
Asheville, NC and Knoxville, TN are my votes. Their climate is more humid continental than humid subtropical because of their locations in the Smokey and Blue Ridge Mountains, which keep their climate cool in the summer and also enable their winters to be cold with a reasonable amount of snowfall. They are very cold for their latitudes.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:02 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,014,873 times
Las Vegas. Many people are fooled by the palm trees and think that it's just as warm as Southern California or the deserts of Arizona. Not true. The average high temperature in Vegas during January is about 53 or 54 degrees with average low temperatures around 35 or 36 degrees. That's roughly the same as Atlanta. 65 degrees in Vegas in January is not very common at all.

Vegas also tends to get freak snowfalls, which will grind the city to a halt. There was a snowstorm last winter that dropped about 3 or 4 inches of snow on the city. Drivers were so unprepared that many began sliding off the roads, with many abandoning their cars for the day in the middle of busy streets.

Las Vegas or Fargo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAPAPZRmHlU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.