Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,258 times

Advertisements

I am just curious.

Now on some maps VA is included in the Southeast states. But some leave VA out, and just include Kentucky

Im thinking WTF???

Okay, because VA and KY are both pretty much on the same parelelll,

but Virginia is simply more Southern than Kentucky

We were one of the 11 Confederate States. I live in Richmond which is south of Louisville, and Richmond has a feel that is more like Memphis than Philadelphia.

If you call us Mid-Atlantic, then you should include Kentucky as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM

970 posts, read 2,950,816 times
Richmonder, you do a disservice to all those from VA here by posting your idiotic comments! No one had a hard time beliving Richmond was in the South until YOU made it an issue!

KY is not considered Mid-Atlantic because it's not on the Atlantic coast. It's land locked! As for me, Mid Atlantic is a misnomer. There's the northeast & the southeast. VA (and KY) would be in the southeast.

As for your constant moaning, have some dignity about yourself & give it up!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Richmonder, you do a disservice to all those from VA here by posting your idiotic comments! No one had a hard time beliving Richmond was in ther South until YOU made it an issue!

KY is not considered Mid-Atlantic because it's not on the Atlantic coast. It's land locked! As for me, Mid Atlantic is a misnomer. There's the northeast & the southeast. VA (and KY) would be in the southeast.

As for your constant moaning, have some dignity about yourself & give it up!
And I do agree with you. However, there is a "Mid-Atlantic " region according to most maps and census beaureaus.

In the Census VA is included in the South. But in more specific areas, VA is Mid-Atlantic, while KY is almost always in the South.

That was my question.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
And I do agree with you. However, there is a "Mid-Atlantic " region according to most maps and census beaureaus.

In the Census VA is included in the South. But in more specific areas, VA is Mid-Atlantic, while KY is almost always in the South.

That was my question.
..and to ask such a question, you continue to make yourself a laughingstock on these boards...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Virginia isn't landlocked like Kentucky. Virginia has some kind of relationship with the Atlantic Ocean, mainly through the 7 cities of the Tidewater region.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Virginia isn't landlocked like Kentucky. Virginia has some kind of relationship with the Atlantic Ocean, mainly through the 7 cities of the Tidewater region.
So Kentucky gets to be in the South because they're not on the Ocean?

Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
So Kentucky gets to be in the South because they're not on the Ocean?
The mid-Atlantic is a sub-region of other larger regions. If you look ata map; you will make the startling discovery that Kentucky does not touch the Atlantic Ocean. In fact; Kentucky's easternmost point is 400 or so miles from the coast.

I can not believe someone asked this; it is more embarrasing that I opened and responded.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 PM

You do make yourself look like a laughingstock. I cannot believe there's someone here as dimwitted as you. Honestly, stop breathing my air, ok?

Look at the map below. Does THIS make you happy? It's an official US Gov't map!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
It's a bit hard to call a state "mid-Atlantic" when it doesn't have the Atlantic Ocean as a border.

At any rate, Kentucky is usually consider upper South or upper inland South or something like that.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:43 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Richmonder27, this is you:

Looking forward to the next 32849238029 threads you'll start to ask the SAME BLOODY QUESTION OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

You think Virginia is Southern. That's great. I think most people here agree with you. Some don't. That won't change and that's fine. Move on with life! The world is too big and wonderful and interesting to have such a one-track mind!

P.S. I'll add, I'm originally from Virginia myself. To me it doesn't matter if Virginia is generally considered Southern, Northern, Mid-Atlantic, or on the Moon! It has zero impact on my life, and doesn't change my memories of growing up in VA. There are more important things to be concerned about. The first thread you posted on this topic was interesting. But now, after literally hundreds of threads about how "southern" Virginia is or isn't, and after you yourself have taken on three different city-data aliases, it's old hat, a dead horse. Time to move on!

Last edited by lammius; 03-02-2009 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: added another paragraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.