Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,985 times

Advertisements

In the theme of most of Upstate of New York not being mid-Atlantic, I feel that Pennsylvania northwest of Blue Mountian is not truly mid-Atlantic either. That makes Philadelphia, Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, and Harrisburg mid-Atlantic, but Pittsburg, Erie, Scranton, Altoona, Williamsport, State College are not.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:07 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I tend to agree with Daytonnatian, WV is not mid-Atlantic, certainly not the major portion of it. Aries inadvertently left off southern WV from the list.
The western panhandle of WV actually has some commonalities with Pittsburgh.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
IThat makes Philadelphia, Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, and Harrisburg mid-Atlantic, but Pittsburg, Erie, Scranton, Altoona, Williamsport, State College are not.
You don't even know how to spell "Pittsburgh" and you're going to tell me what region it's in?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:11 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
The Pacific Northwest is most definitely a different cultural region from Southern California, and probably should begin about the level of San Francisco, and extend east to the Rocky Mountains.

I'm surprised you say you live in that region ... grouping the entire West Coast together is such an East Coast thing to do. Brought to you by the people who named the Mid-West the Mid-West.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
You don't even know how to spell "Pittsburgh" and you're going to tell me what region it's in?
Someone needs to relax. Anyone can make typoes, you're acting like I just insulted your mother or something.

I would probably put Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania with eastern Ohio and the WV panhandle in the Appliacian Region, distinct from either the mid-Atlantic or Midwest.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The Pacific Northwest is most definitely a different cultural region from Southern California, and probably should begin about the level of San Francisco, and extend east to the Rocky Mountains.

I'm surprised you say you live in that region ... grouping the entire West Coast together is such an East Coast thing to do. Brought to you by the people who named the Mid-West the Mid-West.
well, like i said, when you compare socal and seattle to anywhere lese in the country (not just the east coast), you will see how similar they are. i live in the bay area, and although people say the bay area and socal are so different, that is pretty much bull****.

for example, north carolina and texas aren't by no means exactly the same place, but if i compared them to other parts of the country they are very similar. i didn't want to divide this map into a million pieces.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:15 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Well, I appreciate you trying to be nice, but I totally disagree. Almost nothing about it is western (in the sense of having anything in common with the Rocky Mountain states). The trans-pecos area can be fairly called "Southwestern" (as with New Mexico and Arizona), but most of West Texas doesn't share the same qualities. And other than the upper-panhandle having some common characteristics, the Midwestern influence in Texas is virtually nil. lmost nil.

As a whole, Texas is essentially a Southern state. Texas is Texas to be sure; you are right there. But when placed in a region, it belongs with the South, both historically and culturally (And it doesn't get anymore Southern than many parts of East Texas). (Besides, any state which was in the Confederacy has paid its dues and earned its Southern star! ).
You sound proud that Texas was in the Confederacy!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

I disagree. The Pacific states of Washington\ Oregon\ California\ Alaska & Hawaii have much in common: the Pacific ocean\ stronger ties to Asia than Europe\ strong libertarian roots\ environmentalism\ a dislike of old traditional beliefs & petty issues common to the East & South U.S.\ a sense we can do it on our own & could easily leave the U.S. etc.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
No way is western NY anything like the midwest. I'd put it in with the northeast. Then have a separate New England category.
What are you talking about? Buffalo has more in common with Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Milwaukee than it does with NYC, Boston, or Philadelphia. I can see how it could be considered Midwest, but a more accurate classification would be Rust Belt.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
What are you talking about? Buffalo has more in common with Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Milwaukee than it does with NYC, Boston, or Philadelphia. I can see how it could be considered Midwest, but a more accurate classification would be Rust Belt.
Buffalo is really not like any of those cities listed. I can see some similarities with the layout of midwestern cities but thats where it ends. I have spent an extensive amount of time in all of those cities but Milwaukee and Buffalo does not compare to them at all. I live i Rochester and its even more less like those cities listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.