Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
Hawaii isnt an option. I want some place kinda off the map, very private and not stuck on an island..lol Not to mention I think Hawaii is a rip off to have to spend that much on land.. I want the simple life.

I'm not sure why people are getting hung up on the whole sushi thing.. Its becoming more and more common in every state., even AR..lol I'm sure every major city has some kind of sushi.

Does anyone know the length of growing season for NW Ar? Or where I could get that info from?
Thanks!!
Unsertandable - Hawaii = $$$

It sound slike Arkansas is the best fit fot you, so I'd suggest posting on the Arkansas forum with questions about their growing season and sushi needs and such...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:19 AM

278 posts, read 1,001,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Unsertandable - Hawaii = $$$

It sound slike Arkansas is the best fit fot you, so I'd suggest posting on the Arkansas forum with questions about their growing season and sushi needs and such...
I already had a few ???s posted on AR forum already. I plan on going there this summer to check it our further.. But... The reason for THIS post was to get the thoughts of others on where might have these qualifications in their opinion... which might not be AR.
Does anyone know of people that homestead?? Where they live off the land already?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:28 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Either a House Boat or some areas of Oregon and Washington would pretty much meet your needs.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know of people that homestead?? Where they live off the land already?
Most of Africa, and many other third-world countries.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Is your reason to live off the land a retaliation of American culture? Or do you like the outdoors more...
Would you feel better if you lived in say.. Japanese culture?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:35 PM

I want to live off the land.. I want to be self-sustainable. I dont want to have to rely on modern things. I'd like to grow my own food, produce my own energy, heat with wood I cut down.. Its seems like its more work but I see it as the simple life.

Cant have a garden or windmill if I live on a houseboat.. But I would love one.. I love the water and to be able to travel whenever

3rd world counties?? I think thats not a matter of choice.. Homesteading is becoming more popular.. Maybe if more did it we would have less pollution, more trees standing, less crime, and not to mention healthier bodies... No retaliation of american culture.. Infact its to compliment american culture.. getting back to the basics of life. Isnt that why we came over on the big boat to begin with??

Old 04-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
3rd world counties?? I think thats not a matter of choice..
You asked us to name places 'Where they live off the land already'...

Not, 'where they live off the land BY CHOICE'. The fact is that very few people who are truly 'living off the land' are doing so by choice.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
I want to live off the land.. I want to be self-sustainable. I dont want to have to rely on modern things. I'd like to grow my own food, produce my own energy, heat with wood I cut down.. Its seems like its more work but I see it as the simple life.

Cant have a garden or windmill if I live on a houseboat.. But I would love one.. I love the water and to be able to travel whenever

3rd world counties?? I think thats not a matter of choice.. Homesteading is becoming more popular.. Maybe if more did it we would have less pollution, more trees standing, less crime, and not to mention healthier bodies... No retaliation of american culture.. Infact its to compliment american culture.. getting back to the basics of life. Isnt that why we came over on the big boat to begin with??
Cool...

You should watch this documentary Survivorman - Living off the Grid...

If you can't find it let me know and I'll find a way to send it to you, it is about 2 hours. Inspiring and some good tips.
I have tinkered with the idea before at some point as well...
Now all we need is an electric car and for solar power to get cheaper...

Then...Grow and hunt all my own food, can and jar the excess... I'd probably only catch fish and crabs/dive for abalone for the protein. Might go buy some bags of rice
Then compost my waste (bye bye trash man)
Solar the house (bye bye electric company)
Drill a well w/ water filters(have already done this at my gfs parents place)
Build fence to keep out the deer from eating the garden...
The climate is such there where you don't need a/c and definitely have woods in place (eucalyptus/redwood) to cut down for a burning stove.
These are long term plans though probably 20 years out for early retirement...but if economy continues to be ****... it could become future terms.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:05 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
IMHO living entirely off the land is a lot of work. I don't see where you'd have time to open a sushi restaurant. Having a garden and a wood lot, sure, with maybe some small livestock. Seems that 2-5 acres would be plenty for a good life. That way you could live close enough to a town that could support a sushi restaunt and not burn a lot of gas to get there.

P.S. if you are ever driving through Knoxville, get off the interstate and visit Nama.

Last edited by creeksitter; 04-23-2009 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
You asked us to name places 'Where they live off the land already'...

Not, 'where they live off the land BY CHOICE'. The fact is that very few people who are truly 'living off the land' are doing so by choice.
This tread is about the US... not other countries..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.