Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:02 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times

Advertisements

GSA Business | Greenville, SC | Spartanburg, SC | Anderson, SC
We will not be passive,” said Greenville County Council Chairman Butch Kirven, citing reports from Detroit that General Motors Corp. may want to move its headquarters. Kirven suggested Greenville officials contact the struggling automaker about moving here

Would GM Really Exit Detroit? - AOL Money & Finance
But he cautioned such an option isn't "queued up at the top of the list" and the company is proud to be in the city.

Will GM move to China?
Now it turns out that GM's CEO is headquarters shopping. More specifically, it's talking about moving out of Detroit. and maybe opening its headquarters somewhere else. I think GM may be considering moving to other countries like Brazil, China, or perhaps over the border into Canada. From GM's perspective, it should relocate to whichever country will enable it to be most competitive globally. (I don't want them to move out of America or even Detroit because Detroit is in a depression not a recession in my opinion)!

Source: GMAC Eyeing HQ Move to Charlotte (http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/2818771 - broken link)
GMAC Eyeing HQ Move to Charlotte (notice that it doesn't say "Charlotte eying GMAC HQ Move"!!!!)

If you owned a company and its was bankrupt, would you stay in that city just to please it's resident's or would you take incentives from other cites to move into a cheaper location? Because I know if my company was bankrupt, I would make sure that we get out of it, and if the city that I'm in isn't doing that well then I'M GONE....I'm not going to risk my a** to and go bankrupt to please someone else! (I hope I'm not sounding mad at you, I'm just proving a point of a possible move, they don't care where they move, as long as it's cheaper)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 12:10 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm pretty sure they just took the census estimates for 2000 through 2005 and then pushed them out through 2025.

Not exactly scientific, just assuming that what they think happened from 2000 through 2005 will repeat itself for the following two decades. They slowed down ones in the Midwest and Northeast, and then grew others faster in the South and West.

No one has any idea what's going to happen. The census is well known for being WAY off on many of their estimates.

They were off by over 300,000 people when they estimated the 2000 population of the Chicago metro area.

They thought Cook County was going to lose population, and it grew by over 270,000 people, thought Chicago would stagnate, and it grew by over 110,000. That's a pretty big FAIL. Then of course after the official counts they immediatly started estimating that both the city and county would start losing population as they had estimated in the 1990's. Ironically things only started picking up much more after 2000 as far as gentrification, high-rise construction, crime dropping, jobs, etc.

Once you get this far away from the 2000 official count, the estimates can vary by large margins. I'm curious to see the results when they do the counts next year.
I thought Chicago city proper increased population from 1990 to 2000 was due to a slight increase in area...like they included O'Hare within the city proper and few neighborhoods around there? Idk lecture me

Old 06-06-2009, 01:51 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
After watching a little bit of last night's special on ABC, NYC would not be desirable since those dams have to be built. The finance industry and the rest of the population will shift to Philadelphia since it's inland like Houston instead of on the coast like Galveston.
Please. If it didn't happened in 1800, it won't happen in the future. Not to mention that the finance industry almost always rebounds. If anything it will shift to another global market instead of it contuining to decline.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:20 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
We will not be passive,” said Greenville County Council Chairman Butch Kirven, citing reports from Detroit that General Motors Corp. may want to move its headquarters. Kirven suggested Greenville officials contact the struggling automaker about moving here

But he cautioned such an option isn't "queued up at the top of the list" and the company is proud to be in the city.

Will GM move to China?
Now it turns out that GM's CEO is headquarters shopping. More specifically, it's talking about moving out of Detroit. and maybe opening its headquarters somewhere else. I think GM may be considering moving to other countries like Brazil, China, or perhaps over the border into Canada. From GM's perspective, it should relocate to whichever country will enable it to be most competitive globally. (I don't want them to move out of America or even Detroit because Detroit is in a depression not a recession in my opinion)!

Source: GMAC Eyeing HQ Move to Charlotte (http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/2818771 - broken link)
GMAC Eyeing HQ Move to Charlotte (notice that it doesn't say "Charlotte eying GMAC HQ Move"!!!!)

If you owned a company and its was bankrupt, would you stay in that city just to please it's resident's or would you take incentives from other cites to move into a cheaper location? Because I know if my company was bankrupt, I would make sure that we get out of it, and if the city that I'm in isn't doing that well then I'M GONE....I'm not going to risk my a** to and go bankrupt to please someone else! (I hope I'm not sounding mad at you, I'm just proving a point of a possible move, they don't care where they move, as long as it's cheaper)
It's all just speculation, though. Do I think it would benefit GM to leave the city of Detroit, yes. Do I think they should leave Michigan, yes. Do I think they will...no.

Over the years I have been one of the few people to defend Detroit, but there is no doubt they could do better someplace else. If Greenville has room for them, then I'm glad they are competing. If it does become a fact that they will leave the Detroit area, I will be in favor of Greenville (assuming my own city has no shot lol). It's past time for these large companies to start looking at medium-sized areas to relocate to. They all want to move to these huge metros and its time for them to start considering places they haven't considered before.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:41 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Detriot goes up and then down? That makes no sense....
There's some logic to it. Something like 50 percent of residents graduating from universities leave Michigan within a year, and probably a higher percentage than that afterward. While some may come back and some people may move from other places, that's going to cause a major demographic population shift as the Boomers start dying out.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:00 PM

81 posts, read 218,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
It's all just speculation, though. Do I think it would benefit GM to leave the city of Detroit, yes. Do I think they should leave Michigan, yes. Do I think they will...no.

Over the years I have been one of the few people to defend Detroit, but there is no doubt they could do better someplace else. If Greenville has room for them, then I'm glad they are competing. If it does become a fact that they will leave the Detroit area, I will be in favor of Greenville (assuming my own city has no shot lol). It's past time for these large companies to start looking at medium-sized areas to relocate to. They all want to move to these huge metros and its time for them to start considering places they haven't considered before.
I'm surprised Dallas hasn't already stolen them - like Comerica. It seems more companies move to Dallas and there is also some payola involved.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 PM

12 posts, read 44,607 times
As of the 2007 estimate St. Louis has already passed their prediction for 2010 and is not far from their prediction for 2015.

2005 - 2,773,156
2010 - 2,836,374
2015 - 2,882,714

As of the 2007 estimate we already have 2,871,421.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:58 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
If these estimates actually are accurate:

The Bay Area CSA will have 8.447 Million residents by 2025. The state projects 8.297 Million by 2020.

If we add Stockton and Modesto(Not unlikely at this point), it rises to 9.863 Million. Actually this is not far off from the state's own projection of 9.940 Million by 2020.

If we add Salinas(Another big possibility), it rises to 10.297 Million.

Lake and Mendocino are two counties that probably will join the Bay Area too but this link doesnt have their projected populations for 2025.

Sacramento is a stretch for 2025 but if we added Sac, the combined area's population rises to 13.003 Million.

For SoCal, if these estimates are accurate:
The LA CSA will have 20.986 Million-within striking distance of NY.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:00 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

Will GM move to China?

I wonder what moving their HQ is supposed to accomplish?

They can move to the most tax friendly place imaginable but so long as they keep their bad management, it doesnt matter.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
McAllen-Edinburg, TX metro sure is booming, where is all the growth coming from? Who is moving in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.