Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 PM

144 posts, read 270,621 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Atlanta, a co-worker from New Jersey complained about the slow drivers in the Atlanta area. I was thinking "what the heck?" because you have drive atleast 80 mph to keep up in Atlanta traffic. We would also go out to lunch sometimes and he would tap his fingers on the counter when he felt like the workers were not moving fast enough.

Also another of my co-workers was from Minnesota and he walked very fast. Everyone wondered where the fire was when he walked by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:16 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
It's not like the south moves in slow-motion, guys. Even the cars go as fast as the ones in the north do!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:26 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
standing in walmart with 15 cash registers but only four cashiers and each of them are slower than sap and molasses mixed into a weird concoction is not fun at all, period.

there's more to life than standing around bored as HELL waiting on the person in front of you with 75 items stuffed in a cart with broken wheels to finish their conversation with the lady behind the counter. it seems like it takes every muscle in their arms to take the stuff off of the conveyor belt.

sometimes i just want to walk to the front and scan the groceries and charge the customers my damn self. then the cashier and the customer in the front of the line can have their convo and the rest of us can get the hell out of the store before the ice cream melts.

everybody wins.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
standing in walmart with 15 cash registers but only four cashiers and each of them are slower than sap and molasses mixed into a weird concoction is not fun at all, period.

there's more to life than standing around bored as HELL waiting on the person in front of you with 75 items stuffed in a cart with broken wheels to finish their conversation with the lady behind the counter. it seems like it takes every muscle in their arms to take the stuff off of the conveyor belt.

sometimes i just want to walk to the front and scan the groceries and charge the customers my damn self. then the cashier and the customer in the front of the line can have their convo and the rest of us can get the hell out of the store before the ice cream melts.

everybody wins.
Then when they finally decide to open another register the people that were behind u with stuffed carts are the 1st ones at the register, so u still have to wait.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:34 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
I noticed in NYC you can get the same slow affect.. Some of the stores I went too they were moving like snails especially that Urban outfitters in the Village.. The girl at the register was talking to her co worker about earrings and bangels while ringing up people.. The crazy part was there was a sickening line and the girl goes on break.. So I sat in line to buy 2 shirts it took 20 mins.. And the KFC in brooklyn off norstrand ave.. They must not have had a manager on duty because instead of them taking orders, the girl was patting her weave while 2 guys or trying to sell her X rated DVDS.. It was a mess.. Another thing if the escalators are full why are people trying to pass people to get ahead. While they are doing it they are stepping on peoples feet and bumping and shoving with there man bags ..not paying attention because they are blasting music on there iPod touch. There is not need to be in such a rush the buildings an establishments aren't going anywhere.. If have have to rush leave your house 2 hours early especially if u are riding the subways..

Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 AM
eek

slowness in nyc is nowhere near what it is in the south but yes, you can and do encounter it from time to time. if i were you i would have left. bad service is bad service, regardless of location.

you would have been better off copping the shirts or the food next door/down the block or something instead of waiting 20 min. you must have been really hungry and those must have been two really good looking shirts.

as for the train, that could happen anywhere. nyc has the best mass transit in the country so i don't know where you're going with that. it beats sitting in a car for an hour and 45 in traffic in parts of the south without decent mass transit with no other option but to sit in that car and vent at the driver in front of you that can't hear you.
rubber necking in the south <<<<<.
congestion on the highways in the south <<<<<.
looking at a short term solution to solve a long term issue <<<< (i.e. deciding to incorporate trolleys instead of planning for REAL rail).

nyc might have bad traffic but we have options (nyc subway, lirr, nyc bus, long island bus, cab, gypsy cab, dollar van, tram, ferry, path, etc.)

Old 10-16-2010, 07:06 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
i think mass transit and having a car both have their drawbacks... damn i just did a paper about this the other day lol. i know they need to hurry and add those extra lines to our train and lightrail here in baltimore cuz our traffic getting worse daily.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:05 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Subway in NYC us inconvient also there were Mad delays.. I took a cab to Williamsburg from 17th ave and made it in 15 mins.... the night before waiting on the train and trying to get there it took 45 mins.. In the south I can take a cab train bus etc to were I need to go I live in th heart of the city.. So I don't have to travel far for anything.. Yes the shirts I needed them and I didn't feel like mcdonalds or no freakin Pizza or no quick Chinese I wanted Chicken..

And for your info I cant remember what highway that was the queens blvd sits off of I wasn't really paying attention but that highway was congested like hell.. I still don't understand why people drive in that city.. Everytime I'm there I have a experience just this week alone since I been here and I'm here for another 3 weeks. I have experienced some crazy things..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
slowness in nyc is nowhere near what it is in the south but yes, you can and do encounter it from time to time. if i were you i would have left. bad service is bad service, regardless of location.

you would have been better off copping the shirts or the food next door/down the block or something instead of waiting 20 min. you must have been really hungry and those must have been two really good looking shirts.

as for the train, that could happen anywhere. nyc has the best mass transit in the country so i don't know where you're going with that. it beats sitting in a car for an hour and 45 in traffic in parts of the south without decent mass transit with no other option but to sit in that car and vent at the driver in front of you that can't hear you.
rubber necking in the south <<<<<.
congestion on the highways in the south <<<<<.
looking at a short term solution to solve a long term issue <<<< (i.e. deciding to incorporate trolleys instead of planning for REAL rail).

nyc might have bad traffic but we have options (nyc subway, lirr, nyc bus, long island bus, cab, gypsy cab, dollar van, tram, ferry, path, etc.)

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 10-16-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 AM
eek

lol @ the train being "inconvenient." you do realize that mass transit in ny is the best on the continent??

i get it. you don't care for ny. at all, period. cool. but you do realize that it could be much worse and is worse in 99.9% of the country, right?

how do you think the ppl in *insert city here* feel that have no car and the only way to get to work is to wait for a bus that seems like its never going to come, only to get dropped off far away from where they have to work...? in the winter time? in the snow/sleet/etc.? and pay MORE than we do here in ny. but they get less service.

i've been there before. there's nothing to complain about in ny when it comes to transit. for a lil over 2 dollars you can go anywhere in the city any time of the day or night.

you can't do that in like 95% of the world, let alone the U.S.

the U.S. is far behind in terms of mass transit in comparison to the rest of the world, with the sole exception being NYC.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 AM
eek

as far as delays go, ppl complain when the trains break down, ppl complain about stations being dirty, ppl complain about _____. so when they actually fix the problems...ppl still complain.

the only real complaint should be the gross mismanagement of money on the MTA's part, the service cuts that somehow come with an increase in the price of metro cards, the G train in general and the fact that they *still* don't have any plans to expand train service into eastern queens.

these are all things that (IMHO) only nyers should complain about. ppl from elsewhere need to chill. our mass transit is >>>>>>> than the transit in your respective cities. even our worst line is better than your best line, if you have any at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.