Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 7,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
It's funny how I can drive to the store, grab a few items, check out and be home in less than 15 minutes yet it takes some people 20 minutes just to check out.
Guess exaggerations abound as usual.

Add to that, when I lived in NY it would always take me much longer because the store was so freaking crowded.
Yes if you're only getting a few items you could go through the 20 items or less line. I am seriously not exagerating. I have been living in Chattanooga for 4 months now. Maybe 3 times I had a cashier that wasn't slow. I look at my watch and it really takes 20 minutes if there is only one person paying, one person with their stuff on the conveyor belt and one person with half a cart (buggy) of stuff in front of me. At my town in Ohio I would get through the line in 5 minutes. Here 20 minutes.. If there is 4 people with their carts full it takes about 35-40 minutes. Literaly. No exagerating. I love Tennessee. It's a lovely place. I love the people here. I'm just having a hard time with this. Maybe I should bring a book to read?
Why do people sum up the north as one whole. How can you even put Ohio and New York in the same group? They are nothing the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa2020 View Post
Why do people sum up the north as one whole. How can you even put Ohio and New York in the same group? They are nothing the same.
I agree, there is so much variation of the "North"- Seattle vs Cleveland vs Chicago vs Philadelphia vs NYC are all different in pace, let alone the smaller cities/ towns of the "North"..I guess the "North" means "Northeast" in this thread though

regarding the OP, weather plays a big role in pace...sleepy Southern downtowns...the emphasis on "friendliness" also in the regional mentality...agree though I've traveled alot, and in the South, it always seems so sultry and slow-paced

Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 PM

83 posts, read 163,919 times
The north consumes more caffeine and drugs like cocaine, meth which makes you hyper, while the south sticks with alcohol, and depressants like pot which slow you down.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Yes if you're only getting a few items you could go through the 20 items or less line. I am seriously not exagerating. I have been living in Chattanooga for 4 months now. Maybe 3 times I had a cashier that wasn't slow. I look at my watch and it really takes 20 minutes if there is only one person paying, one person with their stuff on the conveyor belt and one person with half a cart (buggy) of stuff in front of me. At my town in Ohio I would get through the line in 5 minutes. Here 20 minutes.. If there is 4 people with their carts full it takes about 35-40 minutes. Literaly. No exagerating. I love Tennessee. It's a lovely place. I love the people here. I'm just having a hard time with this. Maybe I should bring a book to read?
Try a new store.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Try a new store.
I have tried many stores even in the surrounding cities. I do want to try Georgia and see if they are better. You obviously have never been to Chattanooga because you would know what I'm talking about the cashiers chatting. It's like that everywhere here.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
I've never talked to anyone at a cash register for more than checking out unless we were flirting or I know them.
Not to mention at stores like H.E.B; cashiers have to move at a fast pace due to IPM [Items [scanned] per minute]. I don't get this slow cashier thing people are talking about in the south.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I have tried many stores even in the surrounding cities. I do want to try Georgia and see if they are better. You obviously have never been to Chattanooga because you would know what I'm talking about the cashiers chatting. It's like that everywhere here.
I haven't been to Chatanooga. Some of the things that come with small towns is that many people have known each other for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Not to mention at stores like H.E.B; cashiers have to move at a fast pace due to IPM [Items [scanned] per minute]. I don't get this slow cashier thing people are talking about in the south.
HEB is pretty fast, Walmart never is. Krogers is nice too because it never gets packed the way HEB and Walmart do.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
I haven't been to Chatanooga. Some of the things that come with small towns is that many people have known each other for years.

HEB is pretty fast, Walmart never is. Krogers is nice too because it never gets packed the way HEB and Walmart do.
Cashiers in Wal-mart are very slow and it's not because they're chatting. They just all seem tired and lazy lol

Old 01-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Cashiers in Wal-mart are very slow and it's not because they're chatting. They just all seem tired and lazy lol
I mean, can you blame them?

Old 01-01-2012, 01:03 PM

[quote=annie_himself;22352128]I haven't been to Chatanooga. Some of the things that come with small towns is that many people have known each other for years.

Chattanooga is a huge city to me. I come from a small town. That's why I'm wondering why is the culture so different here.
I was thinking and where I shopped in Ohio alot of people worked at the Honda plant. It's ran by the Japanese and if you are one minute late to work 3 times you are fired. Even if you have worked there for 30 years. It's crazy. So people will complain to managers if the cashiers are to slow because they don't have time. Many of those people are also driving over an hour just to get to work. So they don't want to waste time in the store. They want to get home to their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.