Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 07:49 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
They are both primarily ghettos
Thanks for that info. Nobody realized that before now. Pardon my sarcasm lol.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:29 AM

30 posts, read 97,066 times
In no particular order:

Las Vegas, NV- too big, too "glitzy", lots of crime, tons of traffic, in the middle of the Nevada desert

Stockton, CA- just plain gross, lots of crime, very ugly, smoggy

Los Angeles- horrible traffic, too big, too many problems, smoggy

Amarillo, TX- ugly, hot

Grand Junction, CO- ugly, brown, hot, middle of nowhere

Barstow, CA- probably the WORST place (it's a tie with Stockton). Extremely hot, extremely ugly, in the middle of a desert along a highway in the middle of nowhere

Basically, almost anywhere that is either in the middle of a desert or that is plagued with crime and horrible traffic... and any city that has super bad thunderstorms along with a tornado season.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:44 AM

128 posts, read 347,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
That is so true. I grew up in Detroit and recently moved back. As soon as I saw the title I knew half the people would answer Detroit. I wonder how many of them actually have spent significant time there or attempted to get to know the city. Lots of people love to write about how awful it is and take pictures of burned buildings. My BF is a hobby photographer and he has gone through the city taking pictures of beautiful buildings,neighborhoods and our favorite places. We love Detroit and go to many beautiful places in the city. Interesting people take the time to really get to know a place before writing it off.
I'm not from Detroit and have never been there (except to the Detroit Metro airport many years ago on the way home after Air Force basic training and tech school), but it's good to read something positive about the city.

Finally, someone who can speak with credibility who, while not denying Detroit's problems, can still see its beauty and redeeming aspects. Thank you.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:07 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFinMD View Post
I'm not from Detroit and have never been there (except to the Detroit Metro airport many years ago on the way home after Air Force basic training and tech school), but it's good to read something positive about the city.

Finally, someone who can speak with credibility who, while not denying Detroit's problems, can still see its beauty and redeeming aspects. Thank you.
I appreciate you saying that, thank you. I can also add that I have lived in other cities like San Diego and traveled extensively so the positive post isn't coming from someone who has never been anywhere else.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 AM

93 posts, read 88,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
I appreciate you saying that, thank you. I can also add that I have lived in other cities like San Diego and traveled extensively so the positive post isn't coming from someone who has never been anywhere else.
Oh please! Give me a break! I've been to Detroit more times than I care to remember and the place is a DUMP!(downtown is a ghost town) Do you expect people who have never been to Detroit to believe that Detroit has the reputation it has because people have it in for Detroit, or because they've been there and know what it's like. You people in Detroit have two choices: 1) live in a dream world, deny your vast array of problems and don't demand change or, 2) get off your butts and hold the city government accountable and step into the 21st century like everyone else. Chicago isn't consider to be the best planned city in America because they thought about, they made it happen. You can too.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
Oh please! Give me a break! I've been to Detroit more times than I care to remember and the place is a DUMP!(downtown is a ghost town) Do you expect people who have never been to Detroit to believe that Detroit has the reputation it has because people have it in for Detroit, or because they've been there and know what it's like. You people in Detroit have two choices: 1) live in a dream world, deny your vast array of problems and don't demand change or, 2) get off your butts and hold the city government accountable and step into the 21st century like everyone else. Chicago isn't consider to be the best planned city in America because they thought about, they made it happen. You can too.
Calm down, please. Calling a place a "DUMP" isn't exactly a good starting point, especially from an outsider.

I can tell you this much: Acupunk does not need a lecture from you.

She is doing her part in a small way by generating positive energy. Part of recovery, believe it or not, is having hope and having hope begins by seeing the diamonds in the rough.

While you're looking down your nose from the paradise or nirvana called Chicago, try not to be so demeaning and patronizing, OK. Cool?

Last edited by RFinDE; 02-24-2008 at 09:55 AM..

Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 AM

93 posts, read 88,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFinMD View Post
Calm down, please. Calling a place a "DUMP" isn't exactly a good starting point, especially from an outsider.

I can tell you this much: Acupunk does not need a lecture from you.

She is doing her part in a small way by generating positive energy in her own way. Part of recovery, believe it or not, is having hope and having hope begins by seeing the diamonds in the rough.

While you're looking down your nose from the paradise or nirvana called Chicago, try not to be so demeaning and patronizing, OK. Cool?
You're right. We Chicagoans do tend to do a lot of chest thumping. I've been told we can be pretty obnoxious. What do you expect from people who come from the "city that works". However, we're also nice and gracious, so I apologize if I was a bit harsh. It's just that I've seen things deteriorate in Detroit for so long and no one seems to care. There is too much history in that city for this to continue. It's a shame really.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:00 AM

87 posts, read 290,417 times
Detroit (Frigging overrated)
Oakland (My fiancé's dad lives there, what a hole)
Los Angeles (Maybe Orange County though)
Fort Myers, FL
Most of the Miami area
New York City (Fun to visit though)
El Paso (Once again, lots of fun to visit, but I'd never live there)
Gary, IN
Barrow, AK (Not really an "ugly" city, but just too damn cold)
Anywhere in South Phoenix
Jackson, MS

Old 02-24-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
You're right. We Chicagoans do tend to do a lot of chest thumping. I've been told we can be pretty obnoxious. What do you expect from people who come from the "city that works". However, we're also nice and gracious, so I apologize if I was a bit harsh. It's just that I've seen things deteriorate in Detroit for so long and no one seems to care. There is too much history in that city for this to continue. It's a shame really.
Well, we all do that sometimes!

I do hope Detroit can turn things around. It will take a long time to do it and a whole lot of elbow grease, including getting rid of the politicians who don't care enough to do something about the state of things. I just appreciate how Acupunk and her boyfriend can see the positive things in the city despite its problems.

By the way, my neice is marrying someone from Chicago and she's been there numerous times. She loves it and says a whole lot of nice things about the place. I might have to take the trip to the wedding in August (on a boat near the Navy Pier, I think) to see for myself...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:06 AM

287 posts, read 503,050 times
Chicago people, nice and gracious? HA! As a truck driver I have been to Chicago proper many times for deliveries, and I cannot remember a delivery in which the
people were NOT rude to me. Minneapolis, now there is an example of nice people.
Just thought I would set you straight. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.