Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 12:39 PM

93 posts, read 247,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Pretty much any place without mountains. I hate hate HATE flatness.
Just my opinion...I agree as far as wilderness/rural areas go, but I think mountains are way overrated as part of a city's geography, unless you have both an urban job and a serious mountain climbing hobby.

For ugliest city overall, I have to go with Detroit.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
^^Yeah, I lived in Denver for a while. I found it mostly boring and never got the big deal about the mountains. I guess I'm just not the outdoorsy type.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
New York City--too dirty, run-down, and deteriorating (the Tappan Zee Bridge was very old but I didn't know it was the most likely victim of another bridge collapse). On the ground the buildings are nondescript. The skyline is also nondescript with the lack of color. Ugly apartment buildings stick out between the landmarks. Why do the landmark skyscrapers have to be some sort of beige?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:39 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
New York City--too dirty, run-down, and deteriorating (the Tappan Zee Bridge was very old but I didn't know it was the most likely victim of another bridge collapse). On the ground the buildings are nondescript. The skyline is also nondescript with the lack of color. Ugly apartment buildings stick out between the landmarks. Why do the landmark skyscrapers have to be some sort of beige?
^^^^^^ Which suburb/rural area do you live in that is so much nicer That is a pretty broad slam on one of the world's most beautiful, cosmopolitan cities, and one of the greatest and most unique cities in history by all accounts.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:58 AM

251 posts, read 895,893 times
Mobile had 1 Target in 2000.

Mobile is extremly clean for the size. You have not been here since 2000, maybe you should visit again sometime. I guess if a city is overcrowded then something must be going for it. Mobile is going into an economic boom, so watch out for more overcrowding.

Downtown is undergoing a HUGE renovation. Nearly every building down there is being redone that has not already been done. Condos, lofts, business....

Mobile is very pretty. Are you saying all the streets with the old oak trees making canopys over the streets is ugly? The water front park, which I know you haven't been too is ugly? The historic homes are ugly? Mardi Gras is ugly? Springhill is ugly....I guess it is all ugly....

You already researched the crime and stated it was on par with cities its size now, although it may not have been at one time. So that is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Is horrible. The crime is sky high and strip malls everywhere.

last time we were there was 2000, and it was one of the ugliest cities. Dirty and overcrowded. Traffic everywhere. May as well move to NYC without any culture or museums, just Targets.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:53 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Stcokton
Bakersfield
Vacaville
the stretch of the East Bay from (but not including) Oakland to San Jose
the entire Inland Empire
Las Vegas

Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_1975 View Post
Mobile had 1 Target in 2000.

Mobile is extremly clean for the size. You have not been here since 2000, maybe you should visit again sometime. I guess if a city is overcrowded then something must be going for it. Mobile is going into an economic boom, so watch out for more overcrowding.

Downtown is undergoing a HUGE renovation. Nearly every building down there is being redone that has not already been done. Condos, lofts, business....

Mobile is very pretty. Are you saying all the streets with the old oak trees making canopys over the streets is ugly? The water front park, which I know you haven't been too is ugly? The historic homes are ugly? Mardi Gras is ugly? Springhill is ugly....I guess it is all ugly....

You already researched the crime and stated it was on par with cities its size now, although it may not have been at one time. So that is not an issue.
Actually I was there in December 2007 when I went back home to visit my father. Extremely clean? This reminds me of some of the delusional New Orleans residents who tried to tell me their city was clean when anyone who has ever visited NO could tell you that it was one of, if not, the dirtiest city in the U.S. Have you visited any places outside of Mobile?

And I did not say Mobiles crime was on par with cities it's size (I have quoted my previous post and listed it below). I said larger cities and cities Mobiles size have have less crime. Thats not on par. How sad is it that a city like Boston, with more than double the residency of Mobile, has less crime? It's obvious that i've offended you and you are trying to twist what is said in an effort to either save face or win the argument. Don't take negative remarks about your city so personal. I don't get bent out of shape every time someone mentions the problems in Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post

it looks like they have dropped to 139th from 75. However it's still ranking higher than larger cities like Portland, Ft. Worth, San Diego, etc
Mobile is counted among the most dangerous cities - NBC 15 Online

Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 AM

251 posts, read 895,893 times
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey
Is horrible. The crime is sky high and strip malls everywhere.

last time we were there was 2000, and it was one of the ugliest cities. Dirty and overcrowded. Traffic everywhere. May as well move to NYC without any culture or museums, just Targets.

Read what year the above says. You did not write that. That was not intended for you.

Mobile is nothing like NOLA in trashy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Actually I was there in December 2007 when I went back home to visit my father. Extremely clean? This reminds me of some of the delusional New Orleans residents who tried to tell me their city was clean when anyone who has ever visited NO could tell you that it was one of, if not, the dirtiest city in the U.S. Have you visited any places outside of Mobile?

And I did not say Mobiles crime was on par with cities it's size (I have quoted my previous post and listed it below). I said larger cities and cities Mobiles size have have less crime. Thats not on par. How sad is it that a city like Boston, with more than double the residency of Mobile, has less crime? It's obvious that i've offended you and you are trying to twist what is said in an effort to either save face or win the argument. Don't take negative remarks about your city so personal. I don't get bent out of shape every time someone mentions the problems in Mississippi.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:11 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
-Orlando-Kissimmee, Fla. area. I have no desire to return UNLESS it's just for EPCOT. There is no culture, very little history, the scenery has been ruined; it just doesn't do it for me.

-Nashville, Tenn. Inside Briley Parkway, the city is grimy, run-down, and many of the historic sites have not been well-preserved. I like the city and region overall, but I still think it's overrated and not as pretty as people make it out to be.

-West Memphis, Ark. Please, don't even stop there, much less spend the night.

-Weehawken/West New York, N.J. area. At least there's a view of the Manhattan skyline. But, I find much of northern N.J. to be dirtier than NYC itself.

-Dallas/Mesquite/Terrell, Tex. I love Texas, but part of the eastern half of the Metroplex just doesn't do it for me. There's an old-looking, neon "XXX" sign on US 80 in Terrell the size of Oregon (at least there was in 2001!)

Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
the stretch of the East Bay from (but not including) Oakland to San Jose
San Leandro and parts of Hayward are just like extensions of Oakland. The hills in that stretch are nice, too. Look at the Mission San Jose neighborhood of Fremont. It's the areas near 880 that are ugly, and that's all anyone sees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.