Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:50 PM

142 posts, read 1,030,712 times

Advertisements

Currently in Portland....yeah, nice town, top ten worthy? Yes, most def. , but the long rainy winters make lots of people (myself included) depressed. I hear great things about Charleston, SC. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 03:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times
Great picture of Philadelphia

Old 06-12-2007, 07:10 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
Currently in Portland....yeah, nice town, top ten worthy? Yes, most def. , but the long rainy winters make lots of people (myself included) depressed. I hear great things about Charleston, SC. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
Do you like heat and humidity?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times
I like everyone's pictures but I wonder if they really tell the true story of the community. Using the right angles you can make any place look good or bad.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 AM

142 posts, read 1,030,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Do you like heat and humidity?
I like it better than cold and snowy

Old 06-12-2007, 10:38 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
I'm baffled at the bashing going on in this forum about cities in which I'm sure many people haven't even set foot -- not to mention making judgements based entirely on what they heard. I say, unless you've seen a place for yourself, you have absolutely no room to pass judgement. A lot of people are extremely ignorant to the fact of how much Pittsburgh of today is much different than the economically-depressed, wallowing in misery Pittsburgh of yester-year. Cities go through stages all the time, everyone.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
I'm gonna be blunt- someone who prefers Pittsburgh over Phoenix in this day and age either (1) grew up in Pittsburgh, (2) lives for football (Steelers over Cardinals any day or (3) strikes me as the extremely dull-type who is scarred of (a) non-white people, (b) a competitive economy (c) upwardly mobile people.

Sorry, certain things are up for debate (Austin or Seattle?), (San Francisco or New York?), (Omaha or Des Moines), but Pittsburgh can't be compared to Phoenix. I would find someone who preferred, say, Hartford to Denver as boring too.
LOL. There is nothing more "boring" to me than endless, sunburned suburbia -- which is all Phoenix is. You must find a city with actual history and character "boring." Also, Pittsburgh is over a quarter African-American, well above the national average.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm baffled at the bashing going on in this forum about cities in which I'm sure many people haven't even set foot -- not to mention making judgements based entirely on what they heard. I say, unless you've seen a place for yourself, you have absolutely no room to pass judgement. A lot of people are extremely ignorant to the fact of how much Pittsburgh of today is much different than the economically-depressed, wallowing in misery Pittsburgh of yester-year. Cities go through stages all the time, everyone.
Hear, hear!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:57 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yes! I visited P'burgh for the first time about 3 years ago - VERY pleasantly surprised. I expected exactly what you described as yesteryear - depressed, wallowing in misery. Nothing could be further from the truth, it seemed vibrant, clean, in a beautiful setting - all those bridges!!! I've been back twice since. PNC Park is gorgeous.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
I like it better than cold and snowy
Then Charleston may be your cup of tea,,,nice city,love the old sections and history.Plenty of areas for beaching it and boating,,very good seafood,,really nice place I would say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.