Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:22 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times

Advertisements

Brits and irish have their own look. Hard to pin point, but I see larger noses, ears and teeth.

Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians and (United States of) Americans tend to look alike, probably because of the immigrant influx over the last 300 years.

As far as fashion goes, its hard to tell an Aussie that comes form the Coastal or Metropolitan Areas of Australia from an American that lives in the North East or especially Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 09:32 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
I think Scots seem to have the same shade of gray hair - more a white than gray - but my dh thinks I'm nuts. When he met me for the first time he said I looked Irish (I'm an American mutt about 1/2 Irish ancestry). It was the colouring though - light brown hair and hazel eyes.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM

324 posts, read 572,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
No... If the OP was talking about a continent, he would have said "north americans" or "south americans". when someone says "americans" its obvious theyre talking about people from the united states of america.

When people speak of Americans it's based on superiority complex. Of course People from the US are going to assume that "Americans" just apply to people living within the United States. We are the high and might country after all.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
When people speak of Americans it's based on superiority complex. Of course People from the US are going to assume that "Americans" just apply to people living within the United States. We are the high and might country after all.
When non-Americans refer to obnoxious, loud, fat, patriotic or fill-in-the-blank Americans, they are not bashing Chileans or Mexicans, are they? Ask anyone outside (or inside) the US who an American is. It's someone from the US.

Nothing to do with superiority. It's just been used since the beginning and I doubt it will stop as there is no replacement word.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:10 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Go on then, prove to me that most people from South America consider themselves "American" rather than "Brazilian" or any other country they come from. Prove to me that most people identify themselves by firstly their continent, not their country. Prove to me that most people have more pride in their continent than their country. You can't because that isn't the case.

This has nothing to do with superiority, it simply has to do with the fact that our country is called The United States of America and "Americans" is the most sensible and logical name to take from that. As mentioned before - the only other option is to take a name from the "United States" part, such as "United Staters" or "United Statians" and that just sounds silly. It has nothing to do with superiority, that's just what you've made it about to make us look arrogant and further your anti-American agenda. Excuse me, I mean, your anti-"United Stater" agenda.

And this all coming from someone who clearly thinks wherever she is from is far superior to New Jersey and the south of the US!
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-jersey/804121-why-when-i-think-about-new.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/803853-where-south-can-i-get-cheap-post11420736.html#post11420736
That's really rich - for someone to have such ignorance, arrogance and prejudice callings Americans arrogant simply for calling themselves American. Wow.
And then you go on to talk about needing an atmosphere where you're not automatically stereotyped?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/803357-there-any-cities-us-have-people-post11411143.html#post11411143
So it's okay for you to stereotype Americans as arrogant, NJ as a terrible place and southerners as having terrible accents but it's not okay for people to stereotype you?

I think you still have a lot to learn about the world. I'm curious, how old are you?

Last edited by PA2UK; 10-31-2009 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 01:27 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
The term "Latino" and "Hispanic" are somewhat of a misnomer as well as many of those labelled as such have a good deal of Native American blood. They just happen to come from a Spanish-speaking country.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:23 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
I've never been to Britain or Australia before but I'll give you my opinion from what I've seen in person and on TV/pictures.

In general, do we dress different and have different styles and looks? yes, definitely. The US is especially diverse so it's not just one style and look, but in general I think it's safe to say that we're different than people from both those countries as far as dressing and styles.

As far as physically there's still a noticeable difference. People from Britain especially and Australia but to a lesser extent, there's a much smaller chance that they are mixed with another race or different type of person. I'm speaking mainly on the white/European descent population here but also the population as a whole. Britain is very white. Australia is as well and up until 1970s they actually didn't allow any (or barely any) non-white immigrants to come to the country.

Where I'm from, there is barely any British people or Australians (even in descent) and they would definitely stick out so there's noticeable differences between them and the average American.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post

Where I'm from, there is barely any British people or Australians (even in descent) and they would definitely stick out so there's noticeable differences between them and the average American.
A very large percentage of Americans are descendants of Scots, English, Welsh and Irish.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
It's weird how things like culture (especially language and dialect/accent), behaviour and dress can subtlely affect how you view a person, even their appearance. It does make you think there's a kind of 'American look.'

I think it would be a huge generalisation to say that he or she has a typical American/British/Australian look, BUT that Anglo/Northern type look would be most prevalent in Britain (obviously), while Aussies and Americans would statistically be more likely to have darker features (say Latino, Italian, indigenous, Asian, black, mixed). Then again there are many immigrants in the UK. Many 'whites' in the US though don't look completely white, there's probably more interracial going on there (doesn't seem a huge amount here in Oz for the population). Also, I think there are more 'exotic' looking Americans of varied European ancestry (esp Eastern Europe) than in Australia which is more British/Irish.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:05 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
When non-Americans refer to obnoxious, loud, fat, patriotic or fill-in-the-blank Americans, they are not bashing Chileans or Mexicans, are they? Ask anyone outside (or inside) the US who an American is. It's someone from the US.

Nothing to do with superiority. It's just been used since the beginning and I doubt it will stop as there is no replacement word.
When I lived in Europe, people constantly referred to me as "American"...so it's not just Americans that use this reference - it's pretty much used worldwide when referring to people from the U.S.

I lived in London for a while, and had several people walk up and ask me if I was from Australia - prior to hearing me speak, of course. I had a couple of Canadian friends living there also, and they were constantly assumed to be American. I think the three are very similar looks-wise, but Brits are often distinguishable from Canadians/Americans/Australians.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 11-01-2009 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.