Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

After reading many threads as well as talking to people who've moved from the east coast to San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle; they've all told me that while each of these cities is unique (many had visited several), they say that there a "distinct west coastness", whatever that means.

If such a thing exist, what would any of you say this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:31 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
West coasters tend to be more optimistic, like brighter, showier clothing, and are generally more outdoorsy (though this is partly due to the entire west coast being subtropical while the EC is a continental climate until you hit Georgia or so. Nobody bats an eye at the engineer or businessman who surfs before work in San Diego, but you don't want to talk about it in your office in NYC for fear of being seen as a non-serious person.

East coasters tend to be more serious, job-focused, and dress richly but in a conservative manner. It's difficult to sell clothing on both coasts, because the tastes are so different. What flies in LA is usually too much for New Yorkers, and what is popular in NYC isn't what people in LA, SD, or SF want.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
we're hotter.

and Im not talking about weather.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:06 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
we're hotter.

and Im not talking about weather.

...well, not so much the women as you move north from CA. Although it picks up a bit around Seattle.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I've lived on both coasts, and the one thing that really stands out to me is the ways in which each coast relates to other countries. The west coast (or at least coastal urban CA) seems far more oriented to Asia (especially China) and to Mexico. To me it's that blend that seems distinctively west coast in feel.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:58 AM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
There seems to be a higher level of environmental awareness and concern in the Pacific Coast states of California, Oregon and Washington than most other parts. Also in the Province of British Columbia (except for maybe the logging).

It shows in the way that people in California and Oregon care about their coasts. The battles over salmon in Washington State. The California State Park System. Cities like Portland, San Francisco and Vancouver having view-height restrictions on buildings in order to protect certain views.

Not saying its perfect, there are a few people who would cut down the very last Redwood or Douglas Fir in order to get one more weeks paycheck. But in general, you get the impression that people do not want to repeat the mistakes that were made in other parts of the country.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Surf culture is unique to California where surfing started. Hippy culture also started here. More progressive than the East Coast & people are more relaxed. But, honestly, the difference between California and Oregon\Washington & especially Alaska is pretty significant. No surfing in Alaska!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 PM

305 posts, read 771,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Surf culture is unique to California where surfing started. Hippy culture also started here. More progressive than the East Coast & people are more relaxed. But, honestly, the difference between California and Oregon\Washington & especially Alaska is pretty significant. No surfing in Alaska!
Didn't surfing start in Hawaii? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Well, if you mean the progression of surfing as we know it today, then yeah, that started here in CA.

Last edited by A.J._in_L.A.; 01-18-2010 at 11:23 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Surf culture isn't unique to the West Coast. East Coasters have an avid surfing culture and have produced many world-class surfers--including Kelly Slater. More than one life was saved on 911 because a solid swell was hitting NJ and LI that day and several surfers were skipping or late for work.

I'd suggest that the stoic nature of northern EC'ers keeps the surf culture more underground, but not south of VB, where the OBX and FLA host a flourishing and open surfing culture.

Oh, and there is surfing in Alaska. It just requires a MANY mils of neoprene and a LOT of dedication.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:29 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
After reading many threads as well as talking to people who've moved from the east coast to San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle; they've all told me that while each of these cities is unique (many had visited several), they say that there a "distinct west coastness", whatever that means.

If such a thing exist, what would any of you say this is?
I can't personally say, as I've never been to the west coast (only have gotten as far as Vegas) but this thread reminded me of a NY Times story I read once. The author had moved from the NY metro area to California for about fifteen years and then come back. She was in a conversation with friends about people they knew, talking about how well they were doing in their jobs, they'd bought a gorgeous new house, etc., and she said she leaned in and said, "But are they HAPPY?" She said the conversation stopped and everyone just looked at her as if she had two heads, and she became aware that she'd just said something very California.

Don't know how accurate that perception is, but I thought I'd throw it out there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.