Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 AM

324 posts, read 669,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Exactly

However, many people who move South do love it and do not move because of money. They move more for space reasons, politics, weather and better quality of life
I can speak for DC, Baltimore, Philly, New Jersey, NYC, Connecticut, Boston and Chicago on this topic. I have tons of friends from those places and the only consistent positive feedback from within my circle heard about southern cities was Miami.

However, I have heard positive feedback about other southern cities/towns. But, they were from retirees, around the age of 70.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
So many people in this forum hate, and I mean legitimately HATE the northeast. Being a native New Englander I feel the full brunt of it. Just today on the forum when someone from Arizona accused me of being an "apethetic elitist" because I faithfully didn't agree with him/her.

Here are what I think the reasons are for so much hatred directed at the Northeast, and I would say New England in particular:
1) We're center left politically. Most of us believe things like religion and politcs are personal and should only be discussed in homes or forums, not in day to day interactions, which then leads to perceptions of rudeness and arrogance.
2) We're old. Four hundred years old in fact. And because we're old, many people who live in "new" states, such as Texas, Florida, Arizona, California, think we're old "news."
3) We're wealthy. We're not all rolling in dough, but on average we make more than people who live in the South/West/Midwest. Jealousy becomes a factor.
4) We're educated. We have the highest rate of high school graduation and we have the highest rate of citizenry with a college education.
5) We're historic. We are the Birthplace of America and the Cradle of Liberty, along with a vast and long history. Every child learns about Massachusetts and our contributions to early America, well before they learn about what accomplishments their states are repsonsible for. A Texan would be hard pressed to admit that little ol' Massachusetts might be historically more important than the Alamo.
6) We're small, geographically. It's easy for us to be "bullied" upon, which ultimately it is about. The fact of the matter is, we have the same population as Florida, the same area as Washington state, and the same economy as Illinois.

All of these factors really equal one thing--jealousy. Many people who live outside the region look at us and become jealous, we have and do the things that many states can't or frankly won't do.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Some posts above were deleted. After reviewing the thread, it appears that the question has been answered thoroughly and the topic had begun to meander into areas that seemed to mostly cause fights. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.