Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 AM

13 posts, read 33,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
In Florida that's our state bird..LOL~
I live in Florida and that is SOOOOO true!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
We keep them as pets. Floopy and Charlie make wonderful companions. My daughter has fashioned special leashes for them so she can take them on a walk. So, no, roaches are not a problem - you just need to have the right mindset.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
I used the most effective cockroach medicine, the home of cockroaches was gone

Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
If you are on a septic tank, it is a never ending problem

otherwise it depends. this year is terrible for all bugs. there is a new anthill every hour, despite me poisoning all life within 4 miles...

the other night i saw and neutralized 2 small roaches (species.. uhm the chubby ones with the 2 rear antennas sticking out horizontally).

then this am i almost got crawled on by a 4" centipede cruizing on the 2nd floor. that wasn't fun!

early summer gets you that

Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Georgia insects are big and feisty, but not really for cockroaches. Atlanta may have a problem like most metropolitan cities, but by large no cockroach business. We save em for the entomology department at UGA

Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Hire an exterminator and you'll have no problem. We would see one in the house very rarely and it was usually dead by the time we found him.
Yes, but at some point you have to go outside.

Also, exterminators use nasty chemicals that some of us and our pets have reactions to. What else can be done other than live in a state that doesn't have as many of them?

Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Yes, but at some point you have to go outside.

Also, exterminators use nasty chemicals that some of us and our pets have reactions to. What else can be done other than live in a state that doesn't have as many of them?
The only chemicals we use are the ones Arrow uses for termites. Termidor. Otherwise, we simply leave the few intruders a year we see to the kittens. Let's just say they don't last very long.

The bugs here aren't that bad. I'd much rather deal with the few flying roaches we see down here than the skeeters and gnats and horseflies and deerflies we had to deal with in the upper midwest.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The only chemicals we use are the ones Arrow uses for termites. Termidor. Otherwise, we simply leave the few intruders a year we see to the kittens. Let's just say they don't last very long.

The bugs here aren't that bad. I'd much rather deal with the few flying roaches we see down here than the skeeters and gnats and horseflies and deerflies we had to deal with in the upper midwest.
We can't even use that in our home. My dog and I both have severe reactions to just about every chemical under the sun, even most soaps, beauty products, etc.

Getting a kitten is a good idea, though. Now if only that kitten would protect me outside the home, too, like at work and the farmers market.

Or better yet, go to coastal SoCal. The only real critter problem in residential areas there that I've experienced are ants, and once we filled the crack in the foundation from the quake, they weren't an issue. Just don't walk outside without your flip flops.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
We can't even use that in our home. My dog and I both have severe reactions to just about every chemical under the sun, even most soaps, beauty products, etc.
That chemical comes nowhere near the living area. It's pumped in under the driveway and along the foundation of the house.

Quote:
Getting a kitten is a good idea, though. Now if only that kitten would protect me outside the home, too, like at work and the farmers market.
You have bugs at work?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That chemical comes nowhere near the living area. It's pumped in under the driveway and along the foundation of the house.

You have bugs at work?
If it goes at the base of the house outside where they treated before, yes, that still made her very ill and she had to be rushed to the Pet ER.

Yes, we do have bugs at work. Outside too. They get into historic office buildings the same way they get into houses, unfortunately.

I'll steer clear of the southern states. It's all I can do to handle what we have here. :| Of course my good friend the psychiatrist thinks I need hypnosis instead. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia