Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 06:54 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times

Advertisements

This thread is not about the Atlanta mayor. Some posts have been deleted; no more of them please. Back on topic, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 09:10 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I've yet to see any evidence that anyone was denied an opportunity to vote.
Maybe not "the opportunity", but surely you heard of the massive problems trying to, which (not surprisingly) were in mostly democratic areas. Now, of course, you'll just blow it off to just those areas not being as well prepared.

What I've never seen evidence of is this supposed widespread dead liberal vote or illegal liberal vote. You guys throw out this nonsense ad nauseam, but refuse to accept that a guy running his own election may have skewed things in his favor. That's why I can't take you seriously.

Quote:
As for the lines, that's up to the local boards. And again, I see lots of times thrown out there, but no specifics. So its like anything you see on twitter or the internet, you have to have a healthy skepticism. Maybe there was a widespread problem. Maybe there were a couple problems. And if its a problem in heavy Abrams districts, its mostly in Democratic run counties like Fulton and Dekalb, not to "voter suppression." Those are the counties Ms. Abrams' district is in, so these are her colleagues running the local elections.
Just amazing how all the problems just so happened to be in those areas. Almost like it was by design.

But, let me ask you this: if a Democrat had been Secretary of State and had been in charge of the election while running in said election, how do you think conservatives would have handled it? Here, I'll answer it for you: they would have lost their damn minds. And rightfully so.

How you people can sit back and say that there's no way that Kemp of all people didn't do anything whatsoever to sway the outcome of the election he was running in is completely burying your head in the sand.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:06 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Default Some in GOP blame Brian Kemp for party’s suburban woes

Some in the Republican Party, including some high-profile figures like former U.S. House Speaker and former Georgia 6th District Congressman Newt Gingrich and former George W. Bush senior strategist Karl Rove, are accusing Georgia Governor-elect Brian Kemp of exacerbating the GOP's growing woes with the party's traditional base of college-educated suburban voters (particularly college-educated suburban female voters) with his successful rural and exurban-focused campaign strategy.

Hallowed GOP figures like Gingrich and Rove are extremely worried that Brian Kemp's 2018 gubernatorial election victory (which focused on slower-growing rural and outer-exurban areas) might have come at the expense of future electoral success for the party in faster-growing suburban areas.

Gingrich and Rove expressed their concerns about the GOP's apparent neglect of college-educated suburban female voters while at a conference in Sea Island, Georgia on Georgia's Atlantic coast.

"Capitol Recap: Some in GOP blame Kemp for party’s suburban woes" (Politically Georgia/Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Quote:
Kemp “spent almost no energy trying to reach suburban and exurban women,” former U.S. House Speaker (and longtime former Georgia 6th Congressional District U.S. Representative) Newt Gingrich said, according to The Washington Examiner, “and he came close to losing.”...

...“When we start to lose in the suburbs, it says something to us,” said Republican strategist Karl Rove, who joined Gingrich in speaking at a Sea Island conference.
"Karl Rove sounds the alarm about GOP losses in the suburbs" (Washington Examiner, 10 Nov 2018)

Quote:
Gingrich said Kemp paid too much attention to the strong GOP vote in South Georgia and ran a campaign about small ideas, ignoring Atlanta, where most of the votes, and the sort of ambitious policies that might have appealed to them.

“Brian Kemp, who did a very effective job in the primary, ran a primary election in the general election,” Gingrich explained.

"2018 Georgia Election Takeaway: Rural Georgia ain’t going down easy" (Trouble in God's Country)

Old 11-18-2018, 05:37 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Maybe not "the opportunity", but surely you heard of the massive problems trying to, which (not surprisingly) were in mostly democratic areas. Now, of course, you'll just blow it off to just those areas not being as well prepared.

What I've never seen evidence of is this supposed widespread dead liberal vote or illegal liberal vote. You guys throw out this nonsense ad nauseam, but refuse to accept that a guy running his own election may have skewed things in his favor. That's why I can't take you seriously.

Just amazing how all the problems just so happened to be in those areas. Almost like it was by design.

But, let me ask you this: if a Democrat had been Secretary of State and had been in charge of the election while running in said election, how do you think conservatives would have handled it? Here, I'll answer it for you: they would have lost their damn minds. And rightfully so.

How you people can sit back and say that there's no way that Kemp of all people didn't do anything whatsoever to sway the outcome of the election he was running in is completely burying your head in the sand.
I wonder how much was disenfranchisement and now much was just much bigger turnout in a midterm election than expected. If the problems were in urban areas where there was traditionally low voter turnout, 3 machines might have been enough in say 2014. And wouldn’t these precincts be run by Democrats?

What would be interesting to know is the process the local districts go through to determine machine count and anticipated demand. It’s not likely the SoS has some Machiavellian process to oversee over 2500 precincts.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Some in the Republican Party, including some high-profile figures like former U.S. House Speaker and former Georgia 6th District Congressman Newt Gingrich and former George W. Bush senior strategist Karl Rove, are accusing Georgia Governor-elect Brian Kemp of exacerbating the GOP's growing woes with the party's traditional base of college-educated suburban voters (particularly college-educated suburban female voters) with his successful rural and exurban-focused campaign strategy.

Hallowed GOP figures like Gingrich and Rove are extremely worried that Brian Kemp's 2018 gubernatorial election victory (which focused on slower-growing rural and outer-exurban areas) might have come at the expense of future electoral success for the party in faster-growing suburban areas.

Gingrich and Rove expressed their concerns about the GOP's apparent neglect of college-educated suburban female voters while at a conference in Sea Island, Georgia on Georgia's Atlantic coast.

"Capitol Recap: Some in GOP blame Kemp for party’s suburban woes" (Politically Georgia/Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

"Karl Rove sounds the alarm about GOP losses in the suburbs" (Washington Examiner, 10 Nov 2018)

"2018 Georgia Election Takeaway: Rural Georgia ain’t going down easy" (Trouble in God's Country)
This I believe. He squeaked by this election and that should be a wake up call. While Abrams had some positives going for her she also had a lot of negatives.

The same goes for Karen Handel. She really should have won (nothing against McBath, but Handel was the incumbent).

Lazy Republicans can’t mail it in anymore. And once an area flips Democrat it’s harder to flip back. It’s why John Lewis runs unopposed at least half of the time.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:07 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,098 times
Still think it was a fluke because Abrams got out a bunch of straight ticket voters who otherwise wouldn’t have voted. I expect everyone will be shocked when Kemp blows away whoever runs against him in 2022 (especially if a democrat is in the White House) and McBath is annihilated in 2020

Old 11-18-2018, 06:59 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Does your smartphone know it’s you voting? That you’re a citizen? That you’re also not voting via machine or provisional ballot? If people can vote by smartphone doesn’t that disenfranchise the elderly and poor who can’t afford one?
I would think the answer to your question is no - I seriously doubt that online voting would be the sole means of voting exactly because of your point.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:25 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I wonder how much was disenfranchisement and now much was just much bigger turnout in a midterm election than expected. If the problems were in urban areas where there was traditionally low voter turnout, 3 machines might have been enough in say 2014. And wouldn’t these precincts be run by Democrats?

What would be interesting to know is the process the local districts go through to determine machine count and anticipated demand. It’s not likely the SoS has some Machiavellian process to oversee over 2500 precincts.
Yet, they apparently have a very efficient process of determining if your signature is an exact match (I know my signature varies somewhat), or various other ways of quickly determining if all those folks from "urban areas" are allowed to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Still think it was a fluke because Abrams got out a bunch of straight ticket voters who otherwise wouldn’t have voted. I expect everyone will be shocked when Kemp blows away whoever runs against him in 2022 (especially if a democrat is in the White House) and McBath is annihilated in 2020
And this is based on....what?

Jesus...for some reason, I just realized we're with this jackass for four years. Hope he steers clear of the "religious liberty" nonsense and my career can survive his term.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:47 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
The violent undertones of your post are not lost on me. It’s a pity, tragedy even, that you feel such a way. I hope you keep this in mind for the terse terms immigrants, women, people of color, moderate and liberal whites might use in their “battles” against the GOP in GA, including our upcoming gubernatorial race and next midterms.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I would think the answer to your question is no - I seriously doubt that online voting would be the sole means of voting exactly because of your point.
I’m sure it wouldn’t be, but I’d bet some activist group would complain that the rich folk get to vote from their living room while the poor folk have to wait in line. Some people are never happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia