Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Valdosta Vs. Warner Robins
Warner Robins 37 52.11%
Valdosta 34 47.89%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:39 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

This is a good match up.Both cities have military bases (Robins AFB and Moody AFB).Population is close.Both have great football legacies.Which overall has the better overall living.I grew up in Warner Robins so its got my vote.Not just for that reason but because for one their seems to be less racism and poverty in Warner Robins.Also their are more people and the region is bigger with Macon being so close.The school system seems better as well.

Valdosta does have Valdosta State.Warner Robins only has extensions from some of the nearby cities.That's all I can think of ,but please feel free to enlighten me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,097,502 times
Hey, I'm from Macon and I actually like W.R.
I wouldnt mind living in Warner Robins. I just like the feel of south Georgia for some reason though. I like that Valdosta has a large theme park and is very close to Florida. Also, Valdosta is still pretty much the "IT" town in that area of Georgia, while Warner Robins is still in Macon's shadow. I'd probably choose Valdosta.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 PM

afonega1, what's your reasoning behind of racism being less prevalent in W.R. than it is in Valdosta. I would place both towns in a similar category...NOT racist enough to the point where I couldnt live there, but still a good bit of people you can tell just dont care much for black culture at all, no matter if it is effecting them negatively or not.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
afonega1, what's your reasoning behind of racism being less prevalent in W.R. than it is in Valdosta. I would place both towns in a similar category...NOT racist enough to the point where I couldnt live there, but still a good bit of people you can tell just dont care much for black culture at all, no matter if it is effecting them negatively or not.
Well I have friends that live their.i have also been there.I graduated from Fort Valley State University.We used to play Valdosta State.The people in the stands their would say racist comments out loud and call Fort Valley "the monkey school.They made noises and all!I also had a friends who is from Nigeria who went to school there.She said it was very prevalent.She had never experienced that before.She said it was not unbearable,but enough to notice.
Also the African Americans there seem to be a little further behind economically and education wise.Warner Robins has a decent black and upper middle class.Seems to me there is more LITTLE more poverty also.W.R. has a much higher high school graduation rate at 84.4% which is above the national average than Valdosta's at 76.07% which is below the national average.
Valdosta has almost 15 thousand less people than Warner Robins also.As far as it being the "it" town in that area,well lets just say it does not take much in that part of Georgia for that to happen!
I moved away with my parents to the suburbs of Atlanta when I was a senior in high school several years ago.I got a decent education.I would never moved back now.My parents moved back their after 20 years in the Atlanta area.They have a beautiful new house in a great new subdivision.It's just too boring for me.It is a great place to raise a family.I like to visit though.

Also Warner Robins is growing much faster than Macon.Macon's population has been dwindling.Macon does have more things to do.They also have a great downtown.Just needs some more street life in the evenings.

Last edited by afonega1; 05-27-2009 at 12:41 AM..

Old 05-27-2009, 11:16 AM

726 posts, read 2,817,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Also Warner Robins is growing much faster than Macon.Macon's population has been dwindling.Macon does have more things to do.They also have a great downtown.Just needs some more street life in the evenings.
To be honest with you W. Robins is really not growing faster than Macon…..W. Robins just seems to be having more construction than Macon because it really playing catch up with Macon. Other than population; Most of W. Robin’s growth is nothing but new restaurants, hotels and retail growth of merchant changs that Macon has already had for years. Macon really has not losing any pop; the people has not actually left Bibb county they are spreading out the newly developed areas which are right outside of Macon’s city limits; that’s why Macon’s Mayor pushed for annexation of about 13.5 sq miles early this year which would have almost double Macon’s size from 56.5 sq miles to 80.3 and adding more than 20,000 to the city’s pop.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
To be honest with you W. Robins is really not growing faster than Macon…..W. Robins just seems to be having more construction than Macon because it really playing catch up with Macon. Other than population; Most of W. Robin’s growth is nothing but new restaurants, hotels and retail growth of merchant changs that Macon has already had for years. Macon really has not losing any pop; the people has not actually left Bibb county they are spreading out the newly developed areas which are right outside of Macon’s city limits; that’s why Macon’s Mayor pushed for annexation of about 13.5 sq miles early this year which would have almost double Macon’s size from 56.5 sq miles to 80.3 and adding more than 20,000 to the city’s pop.
You and MayorfMacon are to funny!!LOL I new one of you boosters would chime in!!.Yes I know that people are moving out further. Macon had a population of 106,000 people in the 90's.Now its around 93,000.Have they actually managed to annex?I know how people are in and around Macon.Those people are not enthusiastically supporting it I'm sure.Yes Macon does have more but those business that only use to come to Macon are also looking and choosing Warner Robins as well.You are mistaken when you say its just restaurants,hotel, and retail.It is also PEOPLE, which are very important because they add to the tax base in ADDITION to business.

I like Macon a lot.I actually would move their in the downtown area before I would Warner Robins. I'm still fairly young and single.If i had to move back to the area, Macon would be more conducive to that lifestyle.If i were married with kids,it would hands down Warner Robins by a long shot.

As for now Atlanta has been my home on and off since I moved from their my Senior year of High school..Macon and Warner Robins are way too slow for me now.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:46 PM

By the way Macon had a increase of just under 4% percent,Warner robins grew at a rate of 20 percent.The individual and household income is also higher in Warner Robins.But this is not about Macon and Warner Robins.Create a thread about the two and I'll meet you there.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 PM

ahhh man@afonega1.....thats crazy@racist remarks from the crowd.

However, on the same note, I went to Northeast in Macon which is almost all black (couldn't have been more than 10-15 white students).

Dudes on the baseball team said Northside-Warner Robins fans and players made racist remarks at them too.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:16 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,626 times
On topic... Valdosta stands alone. Warner Robins tries to. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
To be honest with you W. Robins is really not growing faster than Macon….
You know... as soon as i saw the title of this thread I knew one of you Maconites would bring up Macon. It is no wonder that this section of this fine board is visited so little. It does not matter what the subject is... it will always end up being about Macon. A thread could be titled " Which town in nicer, Valdosta or Thomasville?" and one of you, without a doubt, will bring Macon into the mix. I am guessing that this is the reason this section (Ga. state board) has so little traffic.

Well, if I am gonna be force fed Macon in practically every thread I have a bit to add. In a strange twist of fate, the last few weeks I have been working in Macon. This is the first time in four or five years that I have done so. All my previous comments regarding Macon were based on either passing through or an occasional trip on purpose, like going to Bass Pro or some where specific. I want to take this opportunity to come clean about Macon now that I have traveled to, and worked in Macon for eight straight days now. I now feel very comfortable about this opinion... I can honestly say that, without a doubt in my mind, in my adult life, I have never visited such a nasty, run down ugly place. Everything I have said about Macon in the past was just too darn nice. The place is a hole. A dank miserable place in which I hope to not have to work in again. If you are stuck there then I guess you have to make the best of what you got... but Macon is not even close to Columbus, Augusta or Savannah in regards to cleanliness or growth. It quite possible may be the flat out ugliest place I have ever been to... and I have been around.

Macon is Gary, In. with warm weather.

Macon is East St. Louis with a smaller river.

It really is that bad. Seriously.

I am Bulldawgfan, and I believe this message to be true. Honestly. No kidding.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:14 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,708 times
Warner Robins because if you've ever traveled to Valdosta in July and August, you'll know why...wayyy too humid and hot.

Also, there's just much more to do in the middle Georgia area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia