Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charleston vs Savannah
Charleston, South Carolina 21 58.33%
Savannah, Georgia 17 47.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
There's no comparison - Charleston wins hands down.

I had visited Charleston maybe 4 times before I had the opportunity to go to Savannah. I called the Savannah tourism office and asked the older woman who answered about some "must see" things. I had told her I had been to Charleston, and her comment was, "Oh, if you liked Charleston... you'll LOOOOOOOVE Savannah!".

Long story short - um.. no. Park the car in Savannah, get out, and see a bum peeing on the side of a building. Get to the River Street area, and see two more bums asleep in a sitting area, and a group of gangsta wannabes walking by yelling "MF" at each other as loud as they can. Um... HELLO! I can go downtown to Five Points HERE and see that and not waste the gas!

River Street was ok I guess, but much smaller of an area than brochures and tourism shows would make you think, and with a lovely view of storage silos across the river covered with gang graffiti. Nice. Now, if you're into photography, Savannah architecture is a bit different than that in Charleston (which is also great in style), but with the parks or "squares", you can get some good photos.

So if you're a serious shutterbug, sure, a day in Savannah would make you happy. For tourism, personally speaking, I didn't think it was worth the drive. Charleston on the other hand is just has historic, but with LOTS more to see and do, and has a more lively and vibrant feel to it. And in the historic district - gasp - no bums, no gangstawannas, and no graffiti or heck, even street trash.

Sorry. Not trashing Savannah. It's just that on it's own, sure, it's sorta interesting, but if you ask to compare it to Charleston... well..
What you're saying is full of lies and you know it. Charleston=most overrated city in the south. There are some parts of downtown Charleston that I wouldn't dare step foot in. Here's proof: http://www.city-data.com/forum/south...left-sc-7.html (post #67) Charleston is boring and sucks especially if you have to live there. Traffic and crime nightmare is all the city is. Their IMAX theater closed down even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
What you're saying is full of lies and you know it. Charleston=most overrated city in the south. There are some parts of downtown Charleston that I wouldn't dare step foot in. Here's proof: http://www.city-data.com/forum/south...left-sc-7.html (post #67) Charleston is boring and sucks especially if you have to live there. Traffic and crime nightmare is all the city is. Their IMAX theater closed down even.
g-man,

You are starting to sound like the y-girl. You are denying someone their opinion. Not only atlantagreg, but me also. You are completely within your 'rights' to disagree, but to tell someone that they are not telling the truth when they offer their opinion is just wrong. And you know it. I happen to agree with most of what greg wrote... am I not telling the truth or do we just disagree? Let me tell you what I told the Macon kids... someones opinion is not wrong. It just may be different than yours. Thats what makes these discussions interesting... and you know that too. Look at it this way, if we all agreed with the y-girl we would have little to laugh about. Get it?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:28 PM

No. Charleston is bad. Very very bad. Greenville is better. Charleston makes me want to fall asleep. Goodnight.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
Charleston less formal than Savannah??
Charleston is very formal and obsessed with etiquette and good manners. Savannah is more casual and more seedy (in a new orleans kind of way)..
Charleston is more Disney...Savannah is more Vegas.
I got exactly the opposite feeling. May have just been the various things we each visited in the cities. Regardless, they're both really great cities...my personal opinion is Charleston is more laid back, and I definitely enjoy visiting it more than Savannah because of the laid back feel. I also like its architecture/layout much better.

Your mileage obviously varies on this one.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I got exactly the opposite feeling. May have just been the various things we each visited in the cities. Regardless, they're both really great cities...my personal opinion is Charleston is more laid back, and I definitely enjoy visiting it more than Savannah because of the laid back feel. I also like its architecture/layout much better.

Your mileage obviously varies on this one.
Did you visit the poor areas of downtown Charleston? Take a tour of parts of the city tourists never see.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
No. Charleston is bad. Very very bad. Greenville is better. Charleston makes me want to fall asleep. Goodnight.
I have spent time in Greer, but have never actually been downtown Greenville. So I will respect your opinion yet I am not sure I can buy what you are selling. See how that works? No disrespect there at all.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Did you visit the poor areas of downtown Charleston? Take a tour of parts of the city tourists never see.
Dude, I like nearly ALL of Augusta, even the slummy parts. I doubt Charleston can faze me that badly. I'm definitely a glass is half-full kind of guy; living for years abroad in true third-world s***holes can make you appreciate how good every single city we have in the US really is and can be.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I have spent time in Greer, but have never actually been downtown Greenville. So I will respect your opinion yet I am not sure I can buy what you are selling. See how that works? No disrespect there at all.
I love you bulldawgfan.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Dude, I like nearly ALL of Augusta, even the slummy parts. I doubt Charleston can faze me that badly. I'm definitely a glass is half-full kind of guy; living for years abroad in true third-world s***holes can make you appreciate how good every single city we have in the US really is and can be.
GeorgiaTransplant,

What can I say? This section of this excellent board is dominated by narrow minded folks. I can relate to what and how you post, but, between you and I, I think it is a lost cause. I have no problem having differing opinions... but this has simply become childish. What a shame. Anyone visiting this section must think very low of Georgia and its people.
Perhaps it is time for me to stop participating here for awhile... give it some time... and come back and hope for a more mature atmosphere.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 PM

The problem is you guys only visit the tourist part of Charleston. Ever been to North Charleston where only sprawl and traffic exists. Ever been to the part of downtown just minutes from the tourist areas that are crime ridden? Don't judge a book by its cover. I bet I have been to Charleston more times than both of you combined. I'm not the one being narrow minded. You guys are the ones being narrow minded by not visiting the real parts of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia