Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Why have they not "adjusted" anywhere throughout the history of mankind.

Think about it.
You're talking about the many places where they were brought to live as slaves against their will? And you really want to know why they haven't "adjusted"? (I'm not sure I even know what you mean by that, but I have an idea).

Someone like you just needs to walk a mile in "their" shoes. It's probably the only way you would ever be enlightened...so it certainly isn't going to happen on city-data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I don't believe our role here is to offer value judgments. Besides, if the OP was asking for majority AA or Hispanic communities in south GA., you know darn well that no one would bat an eye.
I agree. Although I prefer diversity, it's someone's own business where he/she wants to live.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
White people have had hundreds of years to obtain as much education as they want and to acquire wealth to pass down for many generations.

Black Americans were still struggling for civil rights as recently as the 1960s.

You cant expect the community as a whole to be as educated and as wealthy as whites when whites had a head start by hundreds of years. That's just reality.

You can't say everything is about "race".....because Black African Immigrants perform much better in schools than African Americans...and both are black.

African Immigrants are the Most Educated

..........yes, even higher than white and asian.

I only bring that up to point out that obviously there are more factors other than just race.

I dont condone any type of non sense. In this day and age, yeah, it's WRONG and BS for a young black guy to choose the streets over education then blame "the man" for his problem....because now we have the opportunity to be educated...but again it's going to take time (as an entire group of people - AA's).

There's something else I find funny. A black teen carjacking someone is looked at as such violent, cruel and savage behavior (as it should).....but white people going to someone else's land and KILLING THEM OFF is perfectly fine?????? Talk about double standards....

Old 11-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
White people have had hundreds of years to obtain as much education as they want and to acquire wealth to pass down for many generations.

Black Americans were still struggling for civil rights as recently as the 1960s.

You cant expect the community as a whole to be as educated and as wealthy as whites when whites had a head start by hundreds of years. That's just reality.

You can't say everything is about "race".....because Black African Immigrants perform much better in schools than African Americans...and both are black.

African Immigrants are the Most Educated

..........yes, even higher than white and asian.

I only bring that up to point out that obviously there are more factors other than just race.

I dont condone any type of non sense. In this day and age, yeah, it's WRONG and BS for a young black guy to choose the streets over education then blame "the man" for his problem....because now we have the opportunity to be educated...but again it's going to take time (as an entire group of people - AA's).

There's something else I find funny. A black teen carjacking someone is looked at as such violent, cruel and savage behavior (as it should).....but white people going to someone else's land and KILLING THEM OFF is perfectly fine?????? Talk about double standards....

I think we mostly agree, but...

1. My parents were born at the end of the Great Depression. There was no wealth to be passed down at that time, and everything they acheived was through hard work. BUT - being white, they had social and educational advantages and opportunities that black Americans just didn't have.

2. It's hard to compare someone committing a carjacking to Europeans settling the New World. One is a current-day crime, the other happened 400 years ago during a totally different era. Besides, you're lumping all white people into one pile, which just doesn't work. I can't take responsibility for all of the wrongs of white people throughout history. (In fact, I know I have some Cherokee relatives in my family tree.) So just because I'm the same race as people who murdered and pillaged - that doesn't indict me as a person.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 11-12-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
Deacon,

about your #1...I understand that. Some blacks have also turned it around completely going from "rags to riches" if you will, through hard work. However, going back to my base point, with generations and generations of deprived education.....you can't just expect the majority of the AA community to turn it around over night...I think we can agree on that??

About #2....I should have just stated it differently because I'm against lumping people of any race or group together.....I did not mean all white people...just the ones to whom it applies to.

I cant agree at all with the present-day, past-day crime thing though, but I think we can pretty much see eye to eye on the rest.

Seriously, regardless of race or point in history, I can see no justification for invading SOMEONE ELSE'S area and violently ridding of them. That's not right!!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Deacon,

about your #1...I understand that. Some blacks have also turned it around completely going from "rags to riches" if you will, through hard work. However, going back to my base point, with generations and generations of deprived education.....you can't just expect the majority of the AA community to turn it around over night...I think we can agree on that??

About #2....I should have just stated it differently because I'm against lumping people of any race or group together.....I did not mean all white people...just the ones to whom it applies to.

I cant agree at all with the present-day, past-day crime thing though, but I think we can pretty much see eye to eye on the rest.

Seriously, regardless of race or point in history, I can see no justification for invading SOMEONE ELSE'S area and violently ridding of them. That's not right!!
True, I can't justify it either...but it has happened througout history and with every race of people.

I think we basically agree on everything, but I felt that I caught some of your anger toward other posts simply because of my race. White people have had a decided advantage in the U.S. for many years, and black people have just recently begun to have those same opportunities. We won't be playing on an even field for another generation or two.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,738 times
Does anyone know of any nice rental homes in the Lee County, GA area?

Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,149 times
Default rentals....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlingbrown View Post
Does anyone know of any nice rental homes in the Lee County, GA area?
no i dont but try this
google rentals and start your search
i have had good luck with this site, but am still looking
we would like to move to north georgia
around dohlonega or blairesville...
goodluck

Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,149 times
Default race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Yes, you are right about the racial makeup in Seattle. However, people here, of all races, could care less who is with who. When I was visiting SC, I saw ONE interracial (b/w) couple. ONE. I also saw one instance where ONE black man was sitting at a restaurant table full of white people. Here in Seattle you see everyone with everyone and no one cares. No one give you a second look if you are in mixed company (whether that be black/white, white/asian, hispanic/black, man/man, woman.woman or any other combination you can think of).

People are people and I wish folks would stop trying to segregate and learn how embrace our differences...
no offense but move back to seattle
this is the south, sorry

Old 12-13-2009, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,716 times
Wow this has gotten way out in left field. I'm not getting that 10 minutes of my life back! I would like to comment here. I work at a college in Nashville and the trend which I hate to see is that Blacks migrate to each other and so do whites more so when they are on campus for their first day of class. I have had some great students of all races. It's not about skin color it's about up bringing.After all most kids that get into real trouble have either rich parents or very poor parents. Now lets talk about opportunity. Everyone has an equal chance here granted blacks were held down but still are by a government that loves controlling the masses, equally so are Hispanics and whites long story short if you have ambition you will be successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia