Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:02 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times

Advertisements

Due to the overpopulation and euthanasia of millions of unwanted dogs and cats annually in the USA, I think there should be no for-profit or for-show breeding or selling of dogs and cats allowed by state law. I also believe that shows of domestic/pet animals should be outlawed.

That's what I think.
No breeders
No pet shops.
No pet shows.

Shelter animals and adopted strays only. There's certainly plenty to go 'round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 01:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It wouldnt be long until dogs and cats would become extinct in this country. If show animals were the only ones allowed to reproduce, soon only show dogs would be left and only those who show would have companions. Then due to interbreeding and the heath problems that causes there would be no healthy dogs/cats left.

I think it would be sad to live in a society where only the wealthy could know the love and companionship of a dog or cat. I think that education and affordable spay/neuter clinics are the answer.
Yeah...do you breed animals? Because the only ones that usually believe that sort of stuff are those who sell animals. Animals aren't going to be extinct anytime soon even if the policies introduced in this thread existed. You live in TN right? Do you have any idea what the overpopulation statistics are for your state in particular? You are facing epidemic pet overpopulation numbers! I think my odds of winning the lottery are significantly higher...I mean possible. Reputable breeders only being allowed to breed would result in fewer health problems and animals actually being bred for health rather than money. Health testing shouldn't be optional, breeders should want to know what health problems they may be producing and remove any animals that are carriers of those problems from their breeding programs. I am not rich, yet got a dog from a reputable breeder 1,000 miles away (yes, it was a nice roadtrip) and I also have a kill shelter dog.

Why would the wealthy be the only ones who could have animals? It is not expensive to own a breed from a reputable breeder who does health testing. It sure is a lot cheaper than the dogs I saw in petstores that had definite health problems and vet visits in their future. There will always be animals that need homes. Shelters will ALWAYS exist. The argument that breeds will disappear is sickening and frankly, selfish. Pet overpopulation and bad breeding is worth it if I get my (Insert dog breed)?!?

Yeah...I live for the day where I don't have to rescue animals.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:10 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Due to the overpopulation and euthanasia of millions of unwanted dogs and cats annually in the USA, I think there should be no for-profit or for-show breeding or selling of dogs and cats allowed by state law. I also believe that shows of domestic/pet animals should be outlawed.

That's what I think.
No breeders
No pet shops.
No pet shows.

Shelter animals and adopted strays only. There's certainly plenty to go 'round.
Serious question: How do you expect anyone to get new dogs?

Old 09-29-2010, 01:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Ha, well my friends are on their 4th batch of feral kitties this year, capturing them in their yard when they are as young as 2 weeks old, brining them into their home and raising them until they are old enough to go to new homes or no kill shelters. They caught one mama cat and had her spayed but the area has lots of wandering ones so there is no shortage of them. All the people who get their kitties from them don't give a hoot about licensing or what should/shouldn't be allowed because IT JUST IS. You can't stop this, or mother nature

Old 09-29-2010, 01:28 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ha, well my friends are on their 4th batch of feral kitties this year, capturing them in their yard when they are as young as 2 weeks old, brining them into their home and raising them until they are old enough to go to new homes or no kill shelters. They caught one mama cat and had her spayed but the area has lots of wandering ones so there is no shortage of them. All the people who get their kitties from them don't give a hoot about licensing or what should/shouldn't be allowed because IT JUST IS. You can't stop this, or mother nature
Hence - $25 per pelt...

Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Yeah...do you breed animals? Because the only ones that usually believe that sort of stuff are those who sell animals. Animals aren't going to be extinct anytime soon even if the policies introduced in this thread existed. You live in TN right? Do you have any idea what the overpopulation statistics are for your state in particular? You are facing epidemic pet overpopulation numbers! I think my odds of winning the lottery are significantly higher...I mean possible. Reputable breeders only being allowed to breed would result in fewer health problems and animals actually being bred for health rather than money. Health testing shouldn't be optional, breeders should want to know what health problems they may be producing and remove any animals that are carriers of those problems from their breeding programs. I am not rich, yet got a dog from a reputable breeder 1,000 miles away (yes, it was a nice roadtrip) and I also have a kill shelter dog.

Why would the wealthy be the only ones who could have animals? It is not expensive to own a breed from a reputable breeder who does health testing. It sure is a lot cheaper than the dogs I saw in petstores that had definite health problems and vet visits in their future. There will always be animals that need homes. Shelters will ALWAYS exist. The argument that breeds will disappear is sickening and frankly, selfish. Pet overpopulation and bad breeding is worth it if I get my (Insert dog breed)?!?

Yeah...I live for the day where I don't have to rescue animals.
No I do not breed animals, well except my goats. As far as animals becoming extinct, I was responding to the ops statement.

According to the op:
I think there should be no unlicensed/private breeding of dogs and cats allowed by state law.
I also believe animals that are not show animals should be required to be spayed or neutered prior to purchase (or within 6 months)
1.first you must have a license to breed, then
2. Only show animals would be allowed to reproduce, all others fixed.

Therefore only show animals would exist.
(how many poor or middle class ppl you know that owns show animals?)

If only a small population of show animals exist, you limit the gene pool, you have interbreeding which causes defects. (Look at the english bulldog that has to have human assistance to reproduce. Those little hairless dogs that cant even keep their tounge in their mouth)
A long shot maybe, but so is the suggestion that only show animals be allowed to reproduce.

Yes, prue breed animals from most breeders are expensive.
FYI All my dogs/cats are rescued animals that I got for free to save their life. All of my animals have been spayed/neutered.

Let me ask you. What constitutes a "reputable" breeder and how do you regulate. As someone mentioned some puppy mills are liscened "reputable" breeders. I have know plenty of sick dogs coming from breeders and suspect some breeders falsify documents. I also feel mutts are often healthier than offspring from generations of inbreeding. So I dont get the only "reputable breeders" produce healthy animals.

As I stated, IMO education, affordable spay/neuter and better regulation of "reputable breeders" would be a better solution.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
I'm all for clamping down on puppy mills, but I think this suggestion is ridiculous. What happens if a family wants to breed their nice family dog for the experience of doing so, and give the puppies to family members, or sell them to neighbors, or whomever? Would they be required to begin showing their dog? What if the dog can't be shown? Would the same people therefore have only one option, which would be to endure a bureaucratic cluster of educational and licensing and facility modifications so that they could qualify as "professionals"?

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were a breeder looking for an underhanded way to shove people to your doorstep, instead of adopting from shelters. To suggest that all litters except for show dogs and licensed breeders should be eliminated, is asinine. Picture all of the families that adopted shelter dogs or privately bred one-off litters. Now erase the dogs from almost every one of the pictures. Doesn't sound too nice.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
If she's feeding them, then they probably won't be preying on local species, will they? And furthermore, I'm assuming that if she is feeding them she has contact with them and may even be handling them. Wouldn't continuous contact domesticate them, thus decrease the number of feral cats? What would this world be if all animals were domesticated anyway? And I hardly think that feeding an animal should be considered a a crime.

Well, a crime as in break down her doors and throw her to the ground to be cuffed, no not like that. But I do feel she is exacerbating an existing problem under the umbrella of a good deed. These cats are not approachable; she pours a box of food into a huge pan then gets into her car to wait for them to feed. If these cats do have nasty diseases I really would rather that she fed them at her house and not next to a local food join.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
Wouldn't continuous contact domesticate them, thus decrease the number of feral cats? What would this world be if all animals were domesticated anyway?
Maybe, but once a day to handle twenty cats?? /Unless she took them into her home and cared for them as a responsible pet owner would then she should stop being the mother Theresa of cats./It would be make-believe. (survival of the fittest)

But I see, you have cats don’t you? (Just pick'n, we have two )

Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
As stated, the solution is not workable. And really no solution I can think of is really workable because far too many people - and therefore the authorities - simply don't care much about this problem, if at all. The sub-human football player M Vick showed us nothing if not that. He only went to jail for running an illegal gambling operation (lying to the feds didn't hurt either), not for cruelty to animals......and he was cruel to Hitler-esque proportions. Anyone who isn't revolted knowing he's back to fame and glory (and making millions) playing a game is IMO almost as warped as he is and also another glaring example of what I'm talking about: when you get down to it, most people just don't care. Frankly another example of how the worst thing that ever happened to this planet was the evolution and (subsequent dominance of the planet) of man. But I digress.

The only way any real change will happen is if MUCH MUCH tougher laws are made AND enforced, not just about animal cruelty (including neglect) but irresponsible breeding. IMO it should be made expensive as hell to do to minimize the profit incentive and finally get the population down.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:21 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Due to the overpopulation and euthanasia of millions of unwanted dogs and cats annually in the USA, I think there should be no unlicensed/private breeding of dogs and cats allowed by state law. I also believe animals that are not show animals should be required to be spayed or neutered prior to purchase (or within 6 months) with significant fines for owners and breeders for noncompliance. What do you think?
Flawed premise, you left out working animals, working guard dogs, seeing eye dogs, companion animals, those with the disposition and intelligence to be more than just something pretty on a leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates