Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If they are dead how can they regret anything? More importantly, how do you know what these people are feeling after their deaths?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
How do we know that some that commit suicide regret it?
Apparently, Oleg Bach can communicate with the other side.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM

413 posts, read 878,085 times
Default SOS (Survivors of Suicide)

For those of us left behind after a suicide (for whatever reason), I suggest SOS (survivors of suicide).
They have chapters all over the US.

I wish healing for those alone for the 1st time during this season.

Last edited by ncjoy; 11-30-2012 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,238 times
All I know is that I will opt out when the time is right. The world will go on without me, I will leave behind no dependents. Life for me has been one big failure. I don't feel sorry for myself and I don't feel bad. Like Moose pointed out, there is no point to life if you feel no joy or happiness, only pain.

Suicide is not a permanent solution to a temporary problem, it's what some people do when they know in their heart of hearts and their most logical mind than it's not going to get any better.

I don't get why my potential decision to opt out affects anyone else. I'd just be choosing not to be a burden and I don't particularly like society, nor do I have a place in it. I don't wish to keep fighting for a life of pain, loneliess and mediocrity. The world is already overpopulated. Some people take the so-called sanctity of human life too seriously. In reality, we have done nothing but harm this planet, while killing other species and going to war with ourselves.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Saw the I don't believe in God thing coming from a mile away. So you figure leaping into oblivion is freedom hugh. I mentioned the God idea because it was to show thankfulness- I don't care if there are things that have to be endured...we are physical beings not flighty ghosts...we are of matter and matter in the composition of a human being is imperfect. We are bio machines intentionally made to be defective...so what...I am glad to be here. You seem well spoken but you don't fool me- You have a problem with being alive...seems you never really learned to enjoy life..to enjoy the simple things.

Who ever said we are free anyway...we are interdependent on ever atom around us. It is not free to have to eat or sh*t...It is not free to be forced by nature and life itself to breathe. There is no such thing as freedom or free domain over anything or any one.

That's the point, NOTHINGNESS is not freedom...You are delusional- I don't seek freedom...I seek to live..and in living I am a slave to life- amen. You must accept your humanity...You don't believe in God? Well at least believe in yourself and man up to life.

You are the delusional fool who believes in a supernatural being, so maybe you should man up to that fact. You are born, you live, you die.

There is NOTHING after death so yes it bloody well is freedom, the ultimate freedom. Release. Oblivion. And to be free from patronising, self righteous contemptuous gits like you would be a fine thing.

I would love to see how far your body and mind can take things. How much torture you could endure and your fine words lost in a begging for mercy ? Or do you believe yourself so grandiose and so magnificently brave and strong that you could endure what millions of torture victims never have for example ? You are happy with whatever life throws at you hey ? really , electrodes attached to your genitals, limbs severed with you conscious, your entire family raped , mutilated and murdered in front of you, gang rape over and over again ? Let us see how precious would life become then ? Apparently nothing would make you want to seek that oblivion and release from pain. Your body and mind so strong that it is beyond mere mortals' . Never seeking Freedom from pain, anguish, mental torture.

After all we must endure whatever life throws at us and pain is part of the proces. I mean you would man up would you not ? Not just whine about mere inconsequential little details...

Wow. I guess maybe you are God ? Is that you oh wondrous creature ? Perhaps I should bow down to your supernatural strength ?

Or yes excruciating pain and agony is exquisite. Are you into S&M or just Sadism ?

MY LIFE , MY CHOICE, NOW BE A GOOD LITTLE BOY AND TAKE YOUR PENNY MORALISING SOMEWHERE ON YOUR PERSON WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE.

No wonder so many people do commit suicide with people with the emtional intelligence of pond slime ensuring life becomes a living hell beyond words...

IGNORE. I don't need this crap because despite what you think I do try to enjoy my life and would prefer if it was not marred by such putresecent minds like yours. People like you make me sick.

Patronising twit.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 4,440 times
Suicide may take place in the moment or it may happen over a number of years.
Using an extreme honesty, we are all committing suicide in one form or another. Do you smoke? Drink? You're hastening your death. Are you overweight? Do you sit all day at work and then come home and sit while watching tv or going on the internet. Hmm, no twenty minute of daily exercise. You'll die faster. Eat a diet high in saturated fat or red meat? You're committing suicide, only slowly. All of these unhealthful activities people voluntarily do to themselves and what is the end result. An earlier death.
To be truly against suicide, you would have to abstain from all activities that could precipitate your death. If your lifestyle ends up shaving 10, 20, 30, or more years off your life, that sounds like suicide to me. Perhaps a more passive self death, but a self death just the same.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You are the delusional fool who believes in a supernatural being, so maybe you should man up to that fact. You are born, you live, you die.

There is NOTHING after death so yes it bloody well is freedom, the ultimate freedom. Release. Oblivion. And to be free from patronising, self righteous contemptuous gits like you would be a fine thing.

I would love to see how far your body and mind can take things. How much torture you could endure and your fine words lost in a begging for mercy ? Or do you believe yourself so grandiose and so magnificently brave and strong that you could endure what millions of torture victims never have for example ? You are happy with whatever life throws at you hey ? really , electrodes attached to your genitals, limbs severed with you conscious, your entire family raped , mutilated and murdered in front of you, gang rape over and over again ? Let us see how precious would life become then ? Apparently nothing would make you want to seek that oblivion and release from pain. Your body and mind so strong that it is beyond mere mortals' . Never seeking Freedom from pain, anguish, mental torture.

After all we must endure whatever life throws at us and pain is part of the proces. I mean you would man up would you not ? Not just whine about mere inconsequential little details...

Wow. I guess maybe you are God ? Is that you oh wondrous creature ? Perhaps I should bow down to your supernatural strength ?

Or yes excruciating pain and agony is exquisite. Are you into S&M or just Sadism ?

MY LIFE , MY CHOICE, NOW BE A GOOD LITTLE BOY AND TAKE YOUR PENNY MORALISING SOMEWHERE ON YOUR PERSON WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE.

No wonder so many people do commit suicide with people with the emtional intelligence of pond slime ensuring life becomes a living hell beyond words...

IGNORE. I don't need this crap because despite what you think I do try to enjoy my life and would prefer if it was not marred by such putresecent minds like yours. People like you make me sick.

Patronising twit.
Bravo!!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 AM

398 posts, read 545,701 times
There seems to be a line of thought that pain and suffering are enobling or somehow transcendent. I even get the feeling that some folks would actually seekout discomfort or pain if they could. I'm not sure I agree with all of that. Where I draw the line is in having such people making policy that binds folks who DONT think like this. I think this is where people like the late Jack Kervorkian or groups like the Hemlock Society get the short end of the stick.

Now... I HAVE heard that people who have sought to commit suicide and were revived against their will came to feel that the original Suicidal choice was a poor choice. IDK since most reports of this kind seem to be limited to a particular organization or demographic. Just sayin'.....

FWIW.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:08 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
There is a difference in encouraging and respecting one's liberty.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
There is a difference in encouraging and respecting one's liberty.
You got a bit of flack for what you posted about your friend killing himself, but it stands a good chance that you were more of a friend to that individual than even his own family. You respected his wishes and didn't try to guilt him into living a pointless, lonely and painful existence. Your friend was probably far more "rational" than some of the weirdos in here invoking god or calling those who commit suicide "evil"

If these people genuinely mean well, perhaps they should deflect their attention to the external causes of many people's misery and isolation that led them to commit or attempt suicide.

Funny how all these people try to insist that person lives, yet 99 times out of 100, they won't actually help people in those situations.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
You got a bit of flack for what you posted about your friend killing himself, but it stands a good chance that you were more of a friend to that individual than even his own family. You respected his wishes and didn't try to guilt him into living a pointless, lonely and painful existence. Your friend was probably far more "rational" than some of the weirdos in here invoking god or calling those who commit suicide "evil"

If these people genuinely mean well, perhaps they should deflect their attention to the external causes of many people's misery and isolation that led them to commit or attempt suicide.

Funny how all these people try to insist that person lives, yet 99 times out of 100, they won't actually help people in those situations.
It sucks not having him around you know but if he needed that to achieve peace then I as his friend didn't want to see him suffer anymore regardless of how I would feel. One should not stand in the way of someone trying to heal themselves (regardless of method) if they truly cared or their views are so warped that they think they are caring but in reality they are taking control over that person's life. Ironically enough, he was a Christian (one of the few Christians I knew who I held in high regard as he was what a Christian is supposed to be). I'm not sure how suicide is viewed in Christianity but why should I care? That's between him and God (if there is one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates