Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times

Advertisements

Yes, a mentally healthy person can commit suicide. If at some point, life becomes "unbearable", either due to physical or mental pain, and this pain cannot be mitigated within our current medical system, (or due to cost or other "reasons"), then suicide is a viable option. I think a sane person would take steps to say goodby to his / her loved ones, would have a plan to avoid a "shocking scene" for family members and loved ones, and will have clearly stated both their intensions and their wished for their loved ones, prior to "doing the deed".

Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
You don't have to be "nuts" to take your own life. Our society in general always seems to think mental illness is at the base of every suicide but that's not so. In some countries it's acceptable. For instance, some native Americans accept it when a person can no longer help the tribe or provide for themselves. Religions have come between people's choice to stay or go and made suicide unacceptable. But IMO, it takes a sane person to figure it out and plan and be really OK with not wanting to live anymore or not being able to live anymore. Who are we to tell someone they should suffer and how much they should suffer? It has nothing to do with sane or not sane...

Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
. Also, as a reminder, the topic really isn't about people who are ill. The question is regarding someone who is otherwise healthy.
I am not sure this is the case.

Many of the recent posts here seem to be quite focused on suicide in the case of someone with severe illness/pain.

I don't see many here advocating suicide for someone who is in the prime of his or her life, healthy, and suffering from a mild case of depression.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
depression is a dark deep hole, it tells you no one cares, that there's no way out. Lots of antidepressants only work part ways, they make you sleepy or they stop you from being able to concentrate. So many people with depression self medicate, which makes it worse. It's a lifelong illness, there is no cure. You can only learn to live with it. So any young person, who is seeing themselves as having to stay alive for many years like that, can see the hopelessness as a dark tunnel and see no light at the end. We think someone who is young, has everything going for them, but we're on the outside ..not really feeling that person's pain or dispair.
It's not about us, it's about them. Everyone thinks the ones that stay behind are the ones punished, but the person usually does not kill themselves to get back at others or to punish them.
IMO Suicide takes as much courage as staying alive does...

Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Thanks for proving my post to be absolutely true. You're so focused on your views, and unwilling to see anything but that, that you can't even read. You still, after numerous requests, haven't provided any reasoning for your attitude towards suicide besides "It's really terrible".

You are truly the poster child for being closed-minded.
I’ve stated numerous times that I believe that we as human beings should look out for one another and care about each other. I view encouraging someone to not give up on life to be someone who cares. What you call close minded I call standing firm on one’s principals in the face of adversity. If no one will give me accolades for that then so be it. I can stand alone.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Wanting people to carry on living "just because" , in excruciating pain and mental agony so bad you have no quality of life whatsoever is not caring for another human being. It is selfish to expect someone to want to live simply because it makes YOU feel better somehow.

Caring for people, loving them is wanting them to be happy, to be pain and anguish free and loving them enough , being mature and grown up enough, selfless enough to let them go so they can achieve freedom from all which is so unbearable they want their lives to end.

For a self proclaimed "gifted" kid you are proving remarkly obtuse and narrow minded.
I stand firmly on my morals and values. I haven't insulted your intelligence please allow me to politely request that you offer me the same respect. My mind isn't going to change regarding the matter. I'm not trying to change your mind except ask that you not state such things as suicide is okay around children. they're more likely to jump off the bridge over something trivial like getting a C on a test.

I wasn't talking about someone being ill but since you bring it up. I can understand others who believe in "pulling the plug" but I could never do that. That goes against what I believe in. As mentioned I ciould never be on a jury for murder. Even a case like the mass shooting in Colorado because I don't believe in the death penalty even for people who obviously don't deserve life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I love my Husband beyond words, I would take a bullet for him, and I hope I do die before Him because I cannot imagine life without him .

And yet if he was standing there in front of me , his body wracked with pain so bad he was praying for the end, or his mind so gone there was nothing left of him , or his dignity diminished to such an extent that he felt dehumanised to such a level that death was welcomed then I would be relieved on his behalf when he passed away. I would WANT HIM to die rather than merely exist in a shell so devoid of his own humanity, and the spark which makes him Him. I would be devastated to lose him , I would be experiencing the worst grief imaginable and yet I love Him enough to think whatever is best for HIM. Not ME, HIM.

When you love someone you want them to be free of unendurable pain. You do not want to lose them but you will be willing to suffer that terrible personal loss , putting that person first and foremost.

And you can crisp your little fists all you like and crunch your face with disgust all you like but if you had even an inkling what it is like to love someone so much that you would be willing to lose them because it is best for THEM, disregarding your own selfish interests then you might pause a while before you post and learn to think before you open your self righteous mouth.

You really to need to grow up and show some compassion. Compassion is NOT forcing people to live beyond what they can endure. That is NOT caring, that is NOT Loving, it is barbaric and cruel and selfish.

And if your gifted mind cannot even grasp that concept at least allow a little humanity to enter the void of your heart where your sense of self importance has somehow deadened all empathy and genuine understanding of how some people experience their own terrible lives.

Not ALL lives can be improved. If you even made a teeny, tiny effort to understand that you might realise that some people like myself are not monsters, we are not murderers, not criminals, not evil, not nasty, not psychopaths and that perhaps we too have a valid point and a view which might not be quite as awful as you think. I am not the Devil simply because I believe suicide can be the only solution and the end product of a very rational thought process. I am a human being who is chosing to have control over her death if or when her life becomes so atrocious she can no longer deal with.

I want people to live long happy, fulfilling, pain free lives, in an ideal world all of us would suffer only minimal pain and anguish and nothing unbearable would ever happen to us to break us. But sometimes human beings are broken beyond repair and trying to put them back together with a little superglue does not work. Some problems have no solutions.

Gee you think that concept is not that hard. It really is like talking to a wall.

People like you are fanatics , unable to even conceive of things which you do not wish to consider. You ignore certain truths conveniently because they fit a narrow mould you have decided is the only one. One size fits all.

Well sorry to rain on your parade young man, but we are ALL different and one neat little package of a solution is not going to fix every problem, no matter how hard you close your eyes and wish upon a star. Life's not a fairy tale and sometimes life is simply not worth it. You might as well believe in Unicorns and Leprechauns...

Old 12-07-2012, 03:58 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Hi, Wall! How was your day?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:42 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Hi, Wall! How was your day?
Feels like this does it not ? :

Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Feels very familiar. I love it.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,877 times
Absolutly, what if you have stage 4 cancer that there is no cure for or some other thing, and you are gong into a time when pain and agony are your lot for what little of life you have left with no quality of life? Why not drink a coctail of drugs that make you go to sleep and never wake up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates