Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You people can just enjoy your doom and gloomy scenario if you must. Seriously, have you all ever driven around this country? Except for the big cities, there is so much vast open space that we are never going to fill it up.
The amount of arable land in this world is finite. Our ecosystem is not naturally replenishing the nutrients taken out of the soil by all of our agricultural activities. We are supplementing our land with chemicals and non-natural fertilizers (btw, no, I'm not someone that buys all organic - I'm an average joe).

How much longer can we prop up our food chain with these methods? That isn't even considering the constant increase of the population and the increased energy needs to create all this food.

Right now, we are sticking our tongue out at nature since we are beating the system. Other animals would have to play the game fairly and deal with population swings whenever there is overpopulation. But, not humans. We found a way to prolong our ever increasing population. But for how long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. The earth takes care of itself. Species become extinct when mother nature does her house cleaning. We are trying to cull the herd before such drastic measures need be taken. I used to ride around the country with my family on vacations. Then I got a job and stayed in one place. Decades later all those pristine places were gone, populated by strip malls and growing towns. The picturesque barns were all torn down. I mean, in a person's lifetime, if they do what you say, he can see the creeping threat of just too many people.
Anyway, regarding the "Mother Nature takes care of things" argument--this used to be true, but modern medicine now eradicates many diseases (i.e. Mother Nature's way of controlling populations) and people who would have died 30 years ago are still alive, which is generally a good thing on an individual basis, but not so good for society with that many more "mouths to feed" hanging around. Worst of all is that Mother Nature's fetrility patterns have been screwed with in the form of "invitro fertilization" or other unnatural ways of causing people whom Mother Nature made infertile to now be able to breed their own. Many of these attempts result in multiple births and have higher odds of developmental problems, so we get scenario after scenario where instead of adopting a baby that was already born iand unwanted, people shoot themselves up with freakish drugs only to find themselves pregnant with quintuplets, born 2 months early, who will slurp up so many more resources than that would-be-adopted baby (who now might grow up without a home at all) just so they can parade around their little "genetic copies". The unchecked self-centeredness in this almost knocks me over. "LOOK LOOK LOOK AT ME! I'm a MOMMY of 5!!!! Now where's my Government Handouts?!?!?!?"

Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 AM

927 posts, read 1,458,489 times
Mother Nature is clearing out the poor just fine ...

however - those who can afford insurance are entitled to be kept on life support until their coverage limit is reached (at about 1/3 of a million dollars a month)

Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
I'm NOT an extremist, but listen to yourselves...As a human we biologically designed to reproduce !! You people see the narrow scope of things. Africa has WAY more resources than America . Mexico has way more resources than America !
I would say then :

1. We may be designed to reproduce biologically but it needs to be in conjunction with great responsibility and if the offspring can be properly cared for in a loving, healthy, committed, financially sound, two-parent environment known as committed marriage --- that decision needs to be made prior to engaging in sexual intercourse and proper precautions taken to prevent pregnancy, if need be . Further, killing of the developing human being (walk in abortion) for the sake of birth control (which is mainly from the practice of irresponsible sexual hedonism representing 95% of all abortions performed)... should not be permitted because it entails no desired responsibility should pregnancy occur, and is only for the sake of using another for a mere copulation --- simular to animal behaviour in the Forest .

2. Its no good if Mexico and Africa have more resources, if they cannot be well applied to peoples lives. This is what makes America a favored place to live...THAT plus opportunites .

Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
The amount of arable land in this world is finite. Our ecosystem is not naturally replenishing the nutrients taken out of the soil by all of our agricultural activities. We are supplementing our land with chemicals and non-natural fertilizers (btw, no, I'm not someone that buys all organic - I'm an average joe).

How much longer can we prop up our food chain with these methods? That isn't even considering the constant increase of the population and the increased energy needs to create all this food.

Right now, we are sticking our tongue out at nature since we are beating the system. Other animals would have to play the game fairly and deal with population swings whenever there is overpopulation. But, not humans. We found a way to prolong our ever increasing population. But for how long?
Actually we're doing as other animals do. When there are too many born and the food is plentiful, they eat too much of the available food and damage its ability to grow. So come next season, there isn't as much food and starvation hits. And the one after that there are less and things begin again to even out. We just are able to forstall the next season but not forever.

The chief means of decimating a population by Mom is disease. And when there are too many mouths and not enough food the weaker individuals are more succeptable. That is how it works in our world too, but disguised a bit and 'weak' and 'strong' redefined by tools.

The last major human die -off was the Black Plague, and it was so terrible in part because the society operated in a way where there were a few well fed and a vast number of pesants who were not. Same principal, applied differently, than you would with non-human animals.

Bottom line is the imbalance *will* be corrected in time, no matter how much we try to forstall it.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM

324 posts, read 877,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I would say then :

1. We may be designed to reproduce biologically but it needs to be in conjunction with great responsibility and if the offspring can be properly cared for in a loving, healthy, committed, financially sound, two-parent environment known as committed marriage --- that decision needs to be made prior to engaging in sexual intercourse and proper precautions taken to prevent pregnancy, if need be .
I agree with you but people need to realize THERE IS NO OVER POPULATION PROBLEM !!

CORRUPT POLITICAL PROBLEM - YES

A Lack of responsibility - YES

A Lack of proper planning - YES

Poor guidance - YES

Lack of proper Education - YES

Earth being or becoming OVER POPULATED - NO

Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
Quote:
I agree with you but people need to realize THERE IS NO OVER POPULATION PROBLEM !!

CORRUPT POLITICAL PROBLEM - YES

A Lack of responsibility - YES

A Lack of proper planning - YES

Poor guidance - YES

Lack of proper Education - YES

Earth being or becoming OVER POPULATED - NO
Thanks for agreeing with me, but, i have to disagree that we are not overpopulated ; we are overpopulated in major cities and metropolitan areas yet there is a tremendous amount of uninhabited land on earth . I heard that there is so much unihabitated land that each person on earth could have at least 1 sq. mile to himself if it were all spread out.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 AM

538 posts, read 731,776 times
We'd be much better off with way less people. Resources are being pushed to the limit. People need space around them...a bit of nature to walk around in...room to grow some of our own food. We'd be able to hunt and gather, too, if there wasn't so darn many of us. Too bad the U.S. government keeps pushing people to have more kids by having other people pay to support those kids. They want us to keep breeding more slaves and canon fodder...makes life easier for those elite, ya know...gives them more power.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 AM

324 posts, read 877,054 times
Pookie.....have you done ANY research on what you are saying ?!?!?!?! The entire population of the planet could fit in the state of TEXAS..and your telling me the world's resources are being pushed to its limit ?!?!?

damn....wake up people

Old 05-13-2011, 01:32 PM

313 posts, read 450,369 times
Quote:
Pookie.....have you done ANY research on what you are saying ?!?!?!?! The entire population of the planet could fit in the state of TEXAS..and your telling me the world's resources are being pushed to its limit ?!?!?

damn....wake up people

"WE" need to wake up???? 7 BILLION people squeezing into the state of Texas? And you BELIEVE that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates