Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Gay kids have a right to go school and not be bullied.

The same goes for Asian kids, fat kids, handicapped kids, Jewish kids, African American kids, nerdy kids ... what have you.

The topic is about bullying. Nobody is saying that you have be friends or admire a particular student, but that school is for learning ... and in my view it is not okay for a student to be subjected to force, intimidation, ridicule, torment, humiliation and/or abuse.
I agree with this post, it's right on.............the only ones who think the anti bullying movement is overplayed are those who've never been bullied........NO kid should have to attend school in fear, and then be expected to learn at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywha View Post
Kids today have it so much more rough than older generations. Now the taunting is on the internet for not old people at their school to see but at other schools as well. I love the IT GETS BETTER campaign. If you have a child in your life, let them know you love them and value their existence, and life without them would suck. My little sister, who is hilarious (a lot like Gilda Radner), was taunted a lot, the kids didn't know how to take her crazy antics. Fortunately she was able to chalk it up to, "Those kids just don't know what's funny."
Good post. However taunting on the internet to a point can be easily rebuffed by blocking bullies, hiding oneself, etc. But I have heard about people setting up fake accounts in people's names. Eek.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I agree with this post, it's right on.............the only ones who think the anti bullying movement is overplayed are those who've never been bullied........NO kid should have to attend school in fear, and then be expected to learn at the same time.

Quite untrue, I think most people have been bullied at one time or another, true some kids get more of it then others, but life is like that. I was bullied in school as a kid because we moved & I was the new kid a couple times. After awhile I decided to stick up for myself & it stopped. Happened again in high school as a freshman & again I just fought back & it stopped. The bullies were still there but they picked on somebody who wouldn't fight back.
Its a lesson I'll take to the grave. More recently my son was getting bullied on the bus his first year in middle school. They bring in kids from the projects because we dont have enough juvenile delinquents in our neighborhood and they were on my sons bus. They wouldn't let my son or the other kids from our stop sit & the bus driver turned a blind eye, beyond yelling at the kids to find a seat. He told be that when he did sit, as requested, the boy next to him punched him. He wanted me to intervene but I refused & told him he did NOT need to let anybody hit him.
Took a week or two for him to figure it out & then he punched the kid in the nose. Of course then the bus driver decided to care & my son was reprimanded. But thats fine, I told the principal, bus driver & guidence counselor that my son has MY permision to defend himself & thats that.
Luckilly a few other kids came forward & told the truth so he was not suspended. Personally I dont like zero tolerance rules & I dont care about stupid rules. My younger son never had any troubles I know of. I'm raising men not a liberals.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Quite untrue, I think most people have been bullied at one time or another, true some kids get more of it then others, but life is like that. I was bullied in school as a kid because we moved & I was the new kid a couple times. After awhile I decided to stick up for myself & it stopped. Happened again in high school as a freshman & again I just fought back & it stopped. The bullies were still there but they picked on somebody who wouldn't fight back.
Its a lesson I'll take to the grave. More recently my son was getting bullied on the bus his first year in middle school. They bring in kids from the projects because we dont have enough juvenile delinquents in our neighborhood and they were on my sons bus. They wouldn't let my son or the other kids from our stop sit & the bus driver turned a blind eye, beyond yelling at the kids to find a seat. He told be that when he did sit, as requested, the boy next to him punched him. He wanted me to intervene but I refused & told him he did NOT need to let anybody hit him.
Took a week or two for him to figure it out & then he punched the kid in the nose. Of course then the bus driver decided to care & my son was reprimanded. But thats fine, I told the principal, bus driver & guidence counselor that my son has MY permision to defend himself & thats that.
Luckilly a few other kids came forward & told the truth so he was not suspended. Personally I dont like zero tolerance rules & I dont care about stupid rules. My younger son never had any troubles I know of. I'm raising men not a liberal.
Funny how so many equate liberal to weakness.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Tim Knocker...my son went through something quite similar to yours, and we also encouraged him to throw a punch..he did, and like you said, after that he was no longer bullied....but does it make you feel good that the bullies picked on another kid instead?? some kids can become physical and fight back....does that mean we should turn a blind eye and deaf ear to those who can't??

Old 06-15-2011, 05:51 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times
Quote:
Tim Knocker...my son went through something quite similar to yours, and we also encouraged him to throw a punch..he did, and like you said, after that he was no longer bullied....but does it make you feel good that the bullies picked on another kid instead?? some kids can become physical and fight back....does that mean we should turn a blind eye and deaf ear to those who can't??
Exactly where the problem is....parents who believe that their feelings are in isolation.

A child (relative) kicked my daughter (2 yrs) in the face. It was not the first time she was hit or pushed. All I did was remove my child and then keep her away. When I tried to talk to the mother about it without the children present, as in "stop calling it an accident", she blew up on me. Yes, I could have handled it better but I said what I said. When she calmed down, she later told me "I am just trying to protect my daughter". I responded back "So am I."

The funny thing is that I did nothing other than not let her daughter play with mine but she felt the need to protect her daughter from me.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,198 times
Why is making it less defensible to bully even debatable? If it helps people to be bullied less, and discourages bullying more, who cares? Find something more controversial to argue about.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't make me feel good, but some things are beyond my control.
I'd expect my son to stick up for another kid if it was really needed, I would, we all should. If we all acted responsibly instead of expecting someone else to do it this wouldn't be an issue at all. You cant change human nature with a rule or law.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Funny how so many equate liberal to weakness.
Not so much weakness as a lack of desire to do what needs being done here & now. The answer to this isn't legislation or new rules, its already against the rules. The answer is to take responsibility & teach responsibility. Liberals always want to study things & dream up regulations that, in theory, everyone can live with & avoid the issue at hand. Most of the time it just wastes time & money with little or no effect.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
I think it is more overplayed as the parents become overly and insanely overprotective... down to the idiocy of egging their kids on to fight ( gotta love YouTube fights).

Then kids grow up and can't move on without having someone stand up for them... Time to move on people. Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates