Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

I sure hope so. I'd love to live in Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 PM

326 posts, read 871,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
What is more likely in the real world, I think, is closer economic integration. Currently, EU citizens are free to live and work anywhere within the EU without having to worry about visas, work permits, etc. I think it's likely Canada and the US will eventually pursue something similar.
That would be awesome!

I don't see any need to unify the two countries, and I also don't ever see it happening. We are distinct nations and I think this is good.

However, I would definitely like to see NAFTA extended with regards to travel and employment across the border in both directions.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:24 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Poor Canada

Old 07-15-2011, 04:32 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I've always thought mayo on fries was a Dutch thing.
The Germans do it, too. You can find it throughout Europe.

I thought Canadians were more prone to splash vinegar on fries.

Unfortunately, fries are verboten in my diet, so it doesn't really matter.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 AM

591 posts, read 866,368 times
Never happen, Canadian anglos can't even get along with the Quebequois, how are they gonna deal with latinos?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:48 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
lol yeah, einstein, way to dog a state that actually isn't falling apart.

i never understood libs, how you can support policies that pummeled the economy and industry out of detroit, chicago, cleveland, buffalo, etc. now instead of jobs being in abundance in these cities, both skilled and unskilled, and the guy without his hs diploma getting a job, the fed is taking about 1/4 of my money. i work 3 months per year lifting 100+ pounds of brick, stone, wood, mulch, dirt, etc in 100 degree heat for the moocher leaning up against a pole thanks to people like you. it literally makes me sick thinking about it. it's about 4:40 am right now, i leave for work at 5:30 am, and i will be carrying around 100+ pounds of bricks for 10 hours today in 95 degree heat, all blazing sun, and probably about 65% humidity... and 1/4 more or less of what i earn tomorrow will go to some guy leaning up against a friggin pole. i just want to thank you for that.
when i said i work for 3 months per year, i meant that's how long i have to work per year for my money that i have to kick on over to the government but i'm on the job year round.

to play the math out a little, i work 2.5 hours in a 10 hour shift of lifting 100+ lbs all day in 100 degree humid heat with the sun scorching me for the moocher leaning up against a pole. HOW IN THE HELL CAN ANYBODY SUPPORT THIS????? can a liberal please explain this. tell me how it's my responsibility to work almost 3 hours per day on a job which 99% of you would not be able to handle for 15 minutes let alone 10 hours to pay for some lazy irresponsible mom's 6 kids or some lazy jobless bum who leans up against poles all day? my ancestors came in a time when welfare didn't exist AND minimum wage didn't exist and yet, yes, they FLOURISHED within the generation. now we have welfare, and who exactly is flourishing off of it? not us, because these little welfare states are damn near bankrupt. who is flourishing off of section 8 housing? and since when do we basically give away houses to lazy people who can drop out of high school? those people should then be living 3-4 families to a house, working together to feed their kids, showing them what hard work is, and motivating their kids to do better to avoid that situation in their future. that's how my ancestors did it and, yes, they flourished within the generation.

people make their own decisions. you want to make decisions that will make you dirt poor, then you better be ready to accept the consequences. instead, they expect the government to hold their hand, something we're taught needs to stop after elementary school. so where's the motivation to better yourself in a crappy living situation when the government is supplying you with a roof, air conditioning, and twinkies? that's how canada does it. supply the poor with a roof, air conditioning, and twinkies to cover up their societal problems.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
when i said i work for 3 months per year, i meant that's how long i have to work per year for my money that i have to kick on over to the government but i'm on the job year round.

can a liberal please explain this
I would think either a liberal or conservative citizen could explain this to you. For our taxes, each of us receives services as varied and diverse as access to paved streets and highways, police and fire protection, education, utilities at a reasonable cost, safe food and water, veterans' care, mail delivery, research into curing disease, assurances for catastrophic care, plus many such others. This does not take into account the large bulk of our taxes that go into funding the military.

Those are a few examples. If you are interested in debating tax rates, you may find a willing taker on a fourm titled Poltics and Other Controversies: http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/ The rest of us are considering the thread topic.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Too large.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,948 times
If Canada did merge with the United States I would definitely buy a condo in Vancouver.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
It would be like the video game Fallout 3. We take over Canada just before the Chinese invade Alaska and we launch the nuclear missiles that start the beginning of the end. Of course this is in 2077 so we have a while.

Seriously, from a larger economic standpoint we're very close to being the same country. The economies are so intertwined that Canada is still our largest trading partner (ahead of China) with only 34 million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates