Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Then howcome it seems like foreigners rarely visit the U.S. for vacation or tourism? I hear more about Americans traveling to other countries than non-Americans coming to America for leisure and travel.
Are you really this clueless. Do a little more research. I travel the world often for work and am always extremely happy to come back to the US.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_2014 View Post
3 main reasons

A) USA is extremely young. Not even 250 years

B) USA is surrounded by two huge bodies of Ocean. Great for holding off invasions, bad for experiencing foreign cultures

C) USA media & government brain washes the masses into believing Nationalistic BS. So citizens never leave the nest, never compare and contrast with the rest of the World
What percentage of French, Germans and Italians have visited North America?

What percentage of US citizens have visited Europe?

Without knowing this, your statement is complete conjecture.

How long does it take a French person to visit the UK, Italy or Germany? How long does it take a person from the US to visit those countries? Those oceans and distance make quite an obstacle, especially when there are so many places for US citizens to visit in the US.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,554 times
I think the OP means american cities themselves not the natural beauty surrounding them.

for example, take Paris. really cool streets, buildings, architecture, monuments, etc. you can google street view any street in paris and it'll be cool looking, whereas in the US, u might have 1 or 2 blocks that actually have any soul to them out of the entire city.

american cities are just a bunch of ugly squared buildings with no soul.

the only thing that gets close to European cities is new york city ..

now im not trying to "talk $hit" about US cities by any means because they are the way they are because of when they were built. if the US was older like european cities, they'd obviously look like buildings in paris and stuff.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,824 times
I know this is an American forum, but I think a lot of people who would call America "bland and boring" are probably Americans themselves. I don't know any non-Americans (myself included) who would say that after traveling there. I suspect the Americans who find it boring should live overseas for a while and perhaps learn a new respect for what they have. Sometimes you don't see these things until you miss it.

For example, OP talks about the beauty of Egypt. Well, yes, there is some - until you see pizza hut plastic cups squished into the side cracks of a pyramid. The lack of garbage collection, skinned cows hanging in the open boiling sun My point is that there is always beauty and always non-beauty to be found everywhere. Also, when you see nothing but beautiful old architecture, you do learn to appreciate modern stuff too.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 AM

97 posts, read 97,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What percentage of French, Germans and Italians have visited North America?

What percentage of US citizens have visited Europe?

Without knowing this, your statement is complete conjecture.

How long does it take a French person to visit the UK, Italy or Germany? How long does it take a person from the US to visit those countries? Those oceans and distance make quite an obstacle, especially when there are so many places for US citizens to visit in the US.
You are completely right. Which was the point I was making with #2

Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,363 times
I've never left the states, but I've traveled extensively within. There are enormous differences in lifestyles between west coast, Midwest, east cost, south. It's like these areas alone are their own countries within one United States. Some states are just boring and cultureless while others more lively and diverse.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siavashm31 View Post
US is indeed boring in compare to many other countries, the biggest problem with urban design in the US is that public spaces and social interactions are not defined in the context of city architecture. America is beautiful for its astonishing nature and landscapes, but when it comes to social life and fun it's supper boring. and also there are so many regulations that take fun out of everything.

basically fun in the US is consumerism or a faked Vegas. I lived in San Diego and to have fun you should go to Tijuana. Now I'm in San Francisco for god sake it's not nearly as fun as Istanbul or Berlin or Paris or London.
You need to hang out in the Castro some. The fellas there will be happy to see you get bored.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:33 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
american cities are just a bunch of ugly squared buildings with no soul.
Uhhhh, no.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I know this is an American forum, but I think a lot of people who would call America "bland and boring" are probably Americans themselves. I don't know any non-Americans (myself included) who would say that after traveling there. I suspect the Americans who find it boring should live overseas for a while and perhaps learn a new respect for what they have. Sometimes you don't see these things until you miss it.

For example, OP talks about the beauty of Egypt. Well, yes, there is some - until you see pizza hut plastic cups squished into the side cracks of a pyramid. The lack of garbage collection, skinned cows hanging in the open boiling sun My point is that there is always beauty and always non-beauty to be found everywhere. Also, when you see nothing but beautiful old architecture, you do learn to appreciate modern stuff too.
Good post. My travels often take me to the "less than desirable" locations in some of the foreign countries. While I often get to see some pretty cool stuff I also see stuff that would never be tolerated in the US. Amman, Jordan is a good example. Love the people I work with there and we were treated like royalty but the city was a huge trash bowl. There were more plastic water bottles thrown everywhere in public as well as other trash. The port town of Aqaba didn't seem as bad though.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,479 times
America has all those great places of natural beauty, you do have to travel to find them. In the UK it's a very short distance from any home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates