Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that animal welfare refers to the responsibility humans have toward domesticated and captive animals to provide what they need and prevent suffering. Animal rights goes farther and places animals equal or above humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Just like children, animals are dependent on us. Unlike children, it's not for a limited time.

Children can't sue, does that mean they don't deserve rights? Yes animals deserve rights, they deserve to have food and water.
When you adopt a cat, you promise that you will take care of this cat, or dog, or etc.

Yes they should have rights.

If you torch a dog, not only is the dog dead, but no matter what, it wouldn't be able to fight for justice, it's OUR job to make sure that justice is served.

It is our job, OUR RESPONSIBILITY because it is our RIGHT to keep pets or eat them for those who choose. True, that your statement says they deserve to have food and water, if you give them that right, it is no longer your responsibility to feed them. Just like when a child turns to an adult, it is no longer your responsiblity to feed them, although we usually do always feed our children forever, but they are, as an adult, able and responsible for getting their own food.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouss View Post
What would an animal do with rights? If you give an animal rights it takes away YOU responsibility. Say your sick dog that you have loved for it's entire life became sick and was in pain, could no longer walk. If you give the right to live to that dog, it is no longer your responsibility to choose to end his suffering.

Animals don't want rights, they want the people who choose to take them as pets or to eat them, to be responsible for their care. It is our right to have children, it is our responsibility to make sure they are fed and safe. Animals deserve for people do be responsible and do the right things. Taking our rights and giving them to animals will not unchain the dog in the back yard, it won't keep him from being abused. People just need to stand up and be responsible and make others be responsible as well. Stop walking on the other side of the street so you don't see the dog starving to death in the neighbors yard.

Oh, but that dog has the right to live, a lot of good it will do for him.
All animals deserve the right to food, water, shelter and to be taken care of.

Their shouldn't be stray cats and starving dogs out there and we as citizens shouldn't be walking by them ignoring them.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:55 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I don't think I mentioned civil rights specifically. And I believe what you are talking about is known as animal welfare, rather then animal rights. Of course animals can not have civil rights.
No, you didnt say civil rights specificially. I guess Im having difficulty understanding just what you mean by rights. Do you mean in that people should be prosecuted for not providing adequate care?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Their shouldn't be stray cats and starving dogs out there and we as citizens shouldn't be walking by them ignoring them.
I agree, they do deserve the right to food and water and shelter, so for sake of example, let's say all domestic animals now legally have the right to food, water... I have three animals that I do not feed. How is having this right going to help these starving animals?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:

And what should we as citizens be required to do for stray, starving animals? I went to the co-op today and its becoming a financial burden for me to feed and care for the animals I have. Many of mine are the cleaning up of other peoples irresponsibility. I would love to be able to take in more but just can not afford it.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I agree, they do deserve the right to food and water and shelter, so for sake of example, let's say all domestic animals now legally have the right to food, water... I have three animals that I do not feed. How is having this right going to help these starving animals?

Well, if you have three animals (theoretically) then the state on behalf of the three animals can prosecute you for neglect. But in the long run they cant force you to actually feed them. Nor can the state be forced to feed them.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM

568 posts, read 962,019 times
Digging around in my kitty litter box and still havent found what exactly this "debate" is supposed to accomplish. Maybe I should dig deeper...it may be hidden.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No, you didnt say civil rights specificially. I guess Im having difficulty understanding just what you mean by rights. Do you mean in that people should be prosecuted for not providing adequate care?

Well, yes, that too. People should be prosecuted for not providing adequate care.

I understand there are many forms of rights, there are implied rights, negative rights (government prohibited from interfering with a person's exercise of the rights) positive rights (require some entity to provide you with something you can not provide yourself)

There are already many laws in place for animals and none of them give the animals any rights.

There are laws say a person may not beat, kick, torture or otherwise cause pain to an animal, this does not mean the animal has the right to not have these things done, it means it is our responsibility to make sure they do not happen.

Failure to provide food water, shelter, it is not their right to have, but our responsibility to provide. An animal is not able to prevent abuse, or demand food, they can not speak, or call the police.

It is our responsibility.. I feel that in trying to give animals rights, or making them equal in our society, is just crazy. Giving rights to animals is a way to pass the responsibility. I think people should turn the finger around and rather then say it is "Your right", say it is "My responsibility"

Old 10-02-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
Digging around in my kitty litter box and still havent found what exactly this "debate" is supposed to accomplish. Maybe I should dig deeper...it may be hidden.
yes, dig deeper.

I was simply asking if there are any animal rights activists, and hoping they could explain their views on why they feel animals should have rights.

It there are none, then I am sure you can get out of the kitty litter box and toss your litter into another post.
Simple simple stuff.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates