Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Death is inevitable. Each day, we hear on the news of someone who died at a premature age - on the basketball court, on the football field, in an accident, from a very early cardiac event, and whatnot.

With each of us, we know people who have died while going about the business of living, neither being exceptional human beings nor being bad ones, either. I already have a friend who died from breast cancer, another friend who died from being 325+ pounds, and a few in the college obits within 5 years after graduation from traffic related deaths. While I think the latter were more arrogant than bad people, I was indifferent that they died.

Why I'm bringing this up is the assumption that what happens after death is bad. If one was living in Dust Bowl poverty, I'm sure they didn't aspire to anything other than survival, so they may have met death with more acceptance. I can't be sure. On the other hand, the wealthy person with a view home in Sausalito doesn't want to go. They want to hang on. It's going to happen anyway and the outcome is not changeable.

I DON'T want this to turn into a religious thread. I don't want to hear about the lake of sulfur or fire or streets that shine so brightly. Have you ever been operated upon? They finish surgery at 11 am and at 1 pm, you're waking up from the anesthesia, not remembering a thing. I often wonder if what happens is just that. You basically cease to exist and feel nothing.

What do you think?
I can say the main reason I fear death is because of all the things I'll miss. The family gatherings I won't be at, the books I won't read, the technological advances I won't see, etc. Death itself doesn't scare me. I have absolutely no belief in an unpleasant afterlife. I doubt there is a Hell, and even if there is I am sure I won't be going there. No, it's no longer being able to participate in this life that I am scared of. Although "scared" isn't really the right word. It's more accurate to say I'm saddened about it than that I am scared of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
I think people who fear death don't have a basic understanding of physics and think they will cease to be (and it's their ego that fears this) . . . for the ego, death is annihilation and the ego fears that.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I think people who fear death don't have a basic understanding of physics and think they will cease to be (and it's their ego that fears this) . . . for the ego, death is annihilation and the ego fears that.
What do YOU think happens? Lately, I'm all about the "anesthesia" analogy.

For most of us who were raised religious, the biggest fear is guilt and punishment of sorts, rather than ego. Slowly, we are coming to terms that that is neither fair nor likely.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What do YOU think happens? Lately, I'm all about the "anesthesia" analogy.

For most of us who were raised religious, the biggest fear is guilt and punishment of sorts, rather than ego. Slowly, we are coming to terms that that is neither fair nor likely.
I don't know who the "we" is that you are referring to . . .you asked that this not take "religious" tones . . . my perspective is both scientific and spiritual. From a scientific perspective, we know that energy never dies but changes form . . . I have no idea "what happens" at death, but I assume it will be something worthwhile and interesting . . .I "believe" that life is to learn stuff (for what reason I could not tell you) . . .so I expect to be surprised and happy to "wake up" in another reality and go on to further adventures.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:12 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
. . .so I expect to be surprised and happy to "wake up" in another reality and go on to further adventures.
That is definitely what I DO NOT want ... sounds like reincarnation and a "wild card."

Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
I have no worries about death itself, not even the death of my loved ones (I've lost enough of them over the years, including my 2nd wife, that there's nothing unthinkable left for me to go through). I would not want to die via some horrible painful disease process that destroys my quality of life, particularly if it makes me completely dependent on others. But I don't fear that either as fearing it does nothing to prevent or forestall such eventualities. If I saw that coming I would simply be a rational suicide. If not ... [shrug] I'd be obliged to deal with it as best I can, which is, ultimately, what we all do every day about everything that comes our way.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,059 times
If reincarnation is what happens, then reincarnation is what happens.

That doesn't seem to be very logical, though. The population of the planet at the beginning of the 20th Century was about 1.65 Billion people and by the end of that Century it was about 6.65 Billion.

If the planet relies on reincarnation to re-populate, where did the additional 5 billion people come from?

Keeping religion out of it (but it's pointless to try to pretend that religion doesn't exist) then [and I'll limit the consideration to monotheism - I have a simple mind and I don't want to get bogged down in sums ] there are 2 possibilities:

1. There is a God (and some sort of afterlife)
2. There is not a God and when you're dead, you're dead.

In the first case, you die and there's God. If you believed in God, you might get all smug about it (though God might just have a way of wiping the silly grin off your face ) and you get on with your after-life. God is with you for all eternity.
If you didn't believe in God, you might be in for one hell (or heaven ) of a surprise.

Then there's the second possibility. There is not a God and when you are dead, you are dead.

You were one of those who believed in God, so - just as you thought - God is there for you for all eternity. Nobody actually knew this, but 'all eternity' suddenly became a highly-subjective (and very finite) period. You reached eternity at the instant at which you died.

(If you didn't believe in God, you were right - If you want to Pass Go; if you want to collect your £200 - feel free! You can crow about it, if you like - Nobody's going to hear you, because you are dead and there is no God.)

I have indeed had surgery - the most recent event was a week ago. I was awake and then I was not awake. My heart was beating and then it was not beating. Then it was disconnected and they were doing something to bits of me which included refrigeration (probably unpleasant, but I didn't feel a thing) while I was getting an engine rebuild.

Then I was awake again. I've no memory of anything from the time I became unconscious to the time I regained consciousness. Why should I have?

Then again, I go to sleep every night and (although I do dream - just like everybody else) I often wake up with no memory of the interval during which I was asleep.

Why should I have?

Shortly before the operation (And it was a very short-notice op) the surgeon asked me whether I needed time to discuss it with my wife. "Of course not! Do it."

Then he went through all the garbage about 'Every operation involves a degree of risk ...' (I suppose they have to do that, really.) I stopped him. "Yes, there is a risk. A small risk. There is a much larger risk if you don't do the operation!"

He said: "Aren't you worried?"

Simple answer: "No."

I will die sometime (I hope!)

I don't care about being dead - that's going to happen.

The 'dying bit' itself could be a problem. Some ways are certainly easier than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates