Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,543 times

Advertisements

Fear of the unknown. The ego has only idea's based on information that is incomplete at best. BUT mostly based on fear of the unknown. Anything can happen and every death is unique.

I don't look forward to death, as per say, I want it to happen; however, I do not fear it either. I know that when that "time" comes it will be when it should be; and this itself gives me ease. I pray and hope that my EGO will also see it this way and not struggle against the natural flow....

In my minds eye I see it as falling asleep in this place and awaking in the next...Freer and lighter, with all eyes open!
Knowing I have been down this road before and sort of know my way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
If you have no memory after death than what is the after life? How are you suppose to remember grandma and uncle Joe if you have no memory? The NDE crowd loves to talk about going in to the light and meeting their relatives. That would be a little odd if you had no memory. Without memory life beyond death is meaningless. As John Henry Patterson once said, "We are part of all we have met."
Interesting question. I don't really have an answer as to how memory survives. Perhaps it's all about love, and those we meet in the afterlife are those we have deeply loved. I choose to include my pets in that scenario.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
I too will go for the fear of the unknown. For me I believe we have experienced death many times and will continue to do so until we see our reality. Some have little idea of "WHY" they are here and as such have done little to accomplish the given task. Based on how I see people treat each other there are many that should be concerned of karma.

Some fear that they have lead inconsequential lives. Fear of mediocrity should be the real fear. When it is said and done it won't be how many Ipads you owned, but how you treat others and the impression they have of you.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
I just ordered, and cannot wait to get this book. It is about what the animals can teach us about life and death and that it is nothing to fear.
Blessing the Bridge by Rita M Reynolds, only one left in stock at Amazon.
Would be a great gift.
Blessing the Bridge: What Animals Teach Us About Death, Dying and Beyond: Rita M. Reynolds, Gary Kowalski: 9780939165599: Amazon.com: Books

Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
If you have no memory after death than what is the after life? How are you suppose to remember grandma and uncle Joe if you have no memory? The NDE crowd loves to talk about going in to the light and meeting their relatives. That would be a little odd if you had no memory. Without memory life beyond death is meaningless. As John Henry Patterson once said, "We are part of all we have met."
Those who believe in an afterlife assume the survival of our consciousness. If you think about it, what is the word "soul" if not a way to collect all of our inner uniqueness into a single word/idea? The idea, as I understand it, is that our consciousness survives with our unique personality/memories.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Death is inevitable. Each day, we hear on the news of someone who died at a premature age - on the basketball court, on the football field, in an accident, from a very early cardiac event, and whatnot.

With each of us, we know people who have died while going about the business of living, neither being exceptional human beings nor being bad ones, either. I already have a friend who died from breast cancer, another friend who died from being 325+ pounds, and a few in the college obits within 5 years after graduation from traffic related deaths. While I think the latter were more arrogant than bad people, I was indifferent that they died.

Why I'm bringing this up is the assumption that what happens after death is bad. If one was living in Dust Bowl poverty, I'm sure they didn't aspire to anything other than survival, so they may have met death with more acceptance. I can't be sure. On the other hand, the wealthy person with a view home in Sausalito doesn't want to go. They want to hang on. It's going to happen anyway and the outcome is not changeable.

I DON'T want this to turn into a religious thread. I don't want to hear about the lake of sulfur or fire or streets that shine so brightly. Have you ever been operated upon? They finish surgery at 11 am and at 1 pm, you're waking up from the anesthesia, not remembering a thing. I often wonder if what happens is just that. You basically cease to exist and feel nothing.

What do you think?
Death almost certainly is ceasing to exist and feeling nothing.

I'm not scared of death, but I certainly enjoy existing and feeling something. I'll try to hold death off for the foreseeable future.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Evolution.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM

753 posts, read 728,052 times
Well, to quote a voice coming from the radio:

"Dyin' to me don't sound like all that much fun!"

On a more serious note, a few billion years of natural selection has imbued us with an intense aversion to death, for rather obvious reasons.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,671 times
No fear of it, just waiting when my time comes, rather way later than sooner!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:04 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,277 times
I don't fear death, only the pain that usually accompanies it, especially if there's no morphine or the like available. The body doesn't give up easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates