Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM

398 posts, read 545,551 times

Advertisements

OK.....this may not come across right...and please know that I am not making light of the topic as I know that there are people who are afraid of death, and I am not dissing anyone.

I like to think that I am a pretty spiritual person and have a lot of Faith and that helped me get a handle on Death. But seriously--- ya know what helped me more than anything else? Absolutely true.
The few times that I have been for a colonoscopy!! I swear; absolutely true.

The doctor told me the first time that I had one that he was going to have to "inflate me" and that it was going to be uncomfortable. Remembering that doctors have a funny idea of whats "only going to hurt a little bit" I told him to put me out.
It was amazing! One minute I was on the gurney in the examination room and then I was opening my eyes in recovery.
No dreams; no foggy voices. One moment I was there and the next moment I wasn't.

Of course...it WAS nice to wake-up. Death doesn't give a person that option. But since that first experience I have had maybe five examines. Its been the same every time. My best guess is that I probably won't have any trouble dying, and I usually make sure I say what I need to...when I need to....just in case God has a sense of humor and decides to throw me a fastball.

BTW: I don't believe in reincarnation...not now..... and......... not the last time I was here, either.....

FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,028 times
I don't fear it. I embrace it. Dying is part of life. Aside from being born, it's the only real certainty, which is why I look forward to that day.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
I authored this thread for several reasons:
a) listening to the news and hearing of young deaths,
b) reminiscing about school, or going through FB, and finding out about the deaths of classmates or friends' siblings,
c) thinking that most people are neither worthy of streets paved with gold, nor a lake of fire and sulfur, and
d) not being manipulated by guilt to practice my religion of birth to the tune of 100%, seeing that I'm discerning enough to know it has its flaws and I need to evaluate this more

Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
I myself do not fear death. I just can't fear something I won't even know happened.

But I can understand those who do. It's not like you can experience death and then move on with your life. Once your dead your dead. I think the whole idea of not knowing is scary to some.

What scares me more is how I will die. Old Age, Heart attack, cancer?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
^^ Me too, chris...so many possibilities to contemplate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
What scares me more is how I will die. Old Age, Heart attack, cancer?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
1. death=unknown
2. the experience of dying - pain, fear, suffocation, none of it is pleasant.

I have been with many people when they have died. The myth of a peaceful death is just that, very few people I have been with just "drifted off". Most experienced significant pain, hyperventilation, anxiety before they died. That for me is the biggest fear.

I used to not fear death itself because I always believed when you are dead, you're dead, end of story. I hope that is the case. I'm not the least bit interested in immortality in any "form". Unfortunately for me, I had an experience in 1998 that makes me question the "dead is dead" theory. I went to a psychic who did not know me, knew nothing about me and asked me no questions. The first thing she said to me was, "before I talk about you, I have a message for your father, he thinks his wife is all alone but she is not, she is with Mary Francis and is fine". Okay so, my stepmother had died 2 days prior. I had never heard the name Mary Francis before. When I asked my Dad if he knew of a Mary Francis he gave me the strangest look and said that she was my stepmother's cousin and best friend in childhood, who had died at the age of 10. I never really believed in psychics but, this woman told me many things about myself that were to come true as well. To this day, it still bothers me. I don't want to live forever, when I am dead, I'm ready for it to be over. But I still cannot find an explanation for what this woman said to me. As I said, she knew nothing about me, not my name, nothing and, didn't ask me any questions. Still freaks me out. So pain, suffering and the possiblity of an afterlife, none are attractive to me.
Very interesting!
I really hate the idea of coming back and having to do this world all over again - so I hope reincarnation isn't true. I especially fear the idea of coming back as anything other than human, ie in the form of an animal. Wouldn't that be awful? A laboratory animal, for instance. A dairy cow, or a dog in North Korea....
We have no idea what awaits us.
Watching some videos of people that have died and come back is comforting, almost all of them want to stay on the other side. I remember one man that thought he went to hell, that was scary.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
bek they think they know life but dont know death.
they dont know either

Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
think about that for a second....
how could a decomposing organ (brain) continue to function 6 or 10 or 100 years after it's been turned into goo? (function for a minute or two or ten after death, fine, maybe....but the statement you made is a very bold and rather baseless prediction if you really think about it)
We are energy, energy doesn't die, it may take a different form, but it's still there.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I don't fear it. I embrace it. Dying is part of life. Aside from being born, it's the only real certainty, which is why I look forward to that day.
Every living thing fears pain. It is the suffering we have to endure from here to there that most of us fear.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 AM

15 posts, read 79,478 times
I'd fear it because I wouldn't know what happens to you afterwards.

Your heart would stop working, etc, and the rest of your body would stop working too forever and not function anymore at all on its own. That's pretty much what people mean when they say a person 'died.'

I really do hope your mind, conscious, soul, anything continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates