Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 03:53 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times

Advertisements

Here is how it is supposed to work:

Guy has legally obtained gun, and a permit to conceal and carry. He is peacefully minding his own business.

Masked teen gang banger approaches guy, pulls out gun, and demands things.

Guy pulls out his own weapon and eliminates teen.

One less gang banger.

It happened in St. Paul.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:15 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times
Do you know WHY there's been no mention of an armed citizen stopping a mass shooting event?

Because in order to be classified as a mass shooting event the bad guy must kill at least four people...armed citizens have so far stopped them way before reaching four victims...often before ONE!

Did you know the same year as the James Holmes shooting there was a potential mass shooting in an Aurora CO church? Of course you didn't hear about that...because an armed church-goer killed the shooter before he killed anyone.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:06 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
We can perhaps deal with them once we have our own mess straightened out. In the meantime, your sorry attempts at deflection must -- at best -- go on the back burner

Pardon?

Why would 'We' (I take it you mean Americans?) feel the need to 'deal' with another culture's preferences? If other countries want to outlaw guns, it's none of your business.

I wasn't attempting to deflect anything, I was merely showing the contrast between countries that permit guns and those that don't. Clearly, those that do not permit gun ownership are no more peaceful, and are, in fact, often more violent.

I'm in favor of people owning guns, if they want to. My husband likes to have rifles for hunting, as well as crossbows etc., and I fired my first rifle at the age of five.

As for your 'Sorry attempts' remark; is there a reason for your rudeness?

Mahrie.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:31 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
[quote=Reynard32;41246745]Only as of the moment. This very day, many of your so-called law-abiders will miracu UOTE]

This^^ is just...so over the top. You would lay the blame, for every person killed by a criminal with a gun, squarely on civilian gun owners? So, what do you suggest we do with our firearms? Let me guess, turn them into the police, out of a sense of social conscience. Since we don't want to do that, we should be compelled to do so. I'll hazard to guess, that you think most Americans feel as you do, as well. After all, you're RIGHT, how could anyone feel differently.

Twice, in my life, violent criminals have injected themselves, on my life. The second time was not me, directly, but a loved one. She defended herself, successfully, but not with a gun. If she had had a gun, it would have been preferable. Would have spared some trauma. She could have stopped him, before he got as close as he did.

I don't understand this mentality, that views criminals as victims, holds not wanting to be a victim against folks, sees a means of defense as a sentient force, and can have such contempt, for others, because they don't feel the same. Most, with damn good reason. You do realize, if your dream came true, and everyone rushed in to turn in their guns, a LOT of them would end up going home with cops. Lol, there's no way any cop is going to send the guns I have to the smelter, and a lot of people have better.

A LOT of guns, in criminal hands right now, came from various government stores. What do you propose to do about that? Do you hold the government as accountable for all these tragic deaths and maimings, as you do people like me? They have more guns than private citizens do, and a bunch of them wind up in the wrong hands, every second of every day. Before you elevate yourself any higher, you might want to look and think about how far it is to fall.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:13 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,183,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Yet their victims are just as dead.
And drunk drivers agree that we need to do something about drunk drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Maybe you should avoid firearms.
Maybe everyone should.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
There is no additional penalty for carrying a gun into a private establishment. The sign is a company policy, not a law. The only way it becomes criminal is if the establishment somehow knows you have a gun and asks you to leave. If you refuse, you can be prosecuted for trespassing.
You might need to read a few more laws.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
We can't be saved from ourselves.
Yes, actually we often can be. And every little bit of harm reduction is of course a step in a positive direction.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:49 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,390 times
Default Bullets kill people because you can't outrun them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
It's not as if anyone argues that guns get up by themselves and shoot people. Many of us just don't see a reason why so many people need to have the ability to kill people so easily and so MANY of them (as you can with a gun).

As most of us know, there was a recent attack in China on elementary school kids which left 22 wounded. If the guy had a gun, it would have been like Newton, CT. Sure, a knife can also kill (happened in China a few yrs ago), but in general, it takes longer and is harder (which would give others time to stop the attacker).

I really don't see why anyone, other than the cops and military, should have the ability to STOCK UP on guns and ammunition. Sure, I can see having a single gun if you live in a city/suburb if you're scared in your home and maybe a few if you live in a rural area....even in those scenarios, no one really needs to have a gun that can fire many times before re-loading. And only a tiny fraction of people need to be able to have like more than 10 bullets at any given time. I live in TX, a totally gun loving state, which was a bit of a culture shock. I see no reason why people I know should have multiple guns as a HOBBY.
This topic may never be resolved because right-wingers as a whole can't handle subtlety and their arguments are designed to ignore context and dumb things down. Guns were invented to make killing much easier and detached and that's really all that needs to be said. Just witness the much lower death rate for mass knife attacks in China, etc.

People who repeatedly call guns "tools" are dim and/or missing the point on purpose. It's technically accurate to say that guns, rather bullets, do kill people. Arrows are the closest things to bullets but take a lot more skill to launch.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:36 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Yes, actually we often can be. And every little bit of harm reduction is of course a step in a positive direction.

Yes, indeed. It is my choice to spare my loved ones and myself from harm. Should , in the course of seeing that resolution through, it becomes necessary to bring down harm on them who would harm us, then so it is. That harm , may or may not have to be lethal. I used a can of Copenhagen snuff, to good effect, once. Better than any OC spray we lowly civilians can get, actually. His eyes were still burning when the deputies hauled him off. Took his mind off the beating he took, before they got there.

The Copenhagen trick ...interested..them Told me it was one they would remember. Not all situations end so well. Thing is, if harm is going to be done, and that's just the way it is, sometimes, one has to make the choice as to who that harm will be done to. I'm not going to feed my lady to a pack of hyenas, just so the hyenas don't get hurt, nor will I offer myself up as a sacrificial lamb, on the altar of "harm reduction".

If someone chooses to bring harm, to me n mine, that decision will be costly. One way or another. At that point, what has to be done must be done. That part, is out of my hands. Its just a matter of how bad the creep wants it to go for him. So, Heya, "back reduction"...I can get on board with the term. However, I think I'll use it in the context outlined above, which may be a bit disparate from what you're actually thinking. It has the virtue, though, of working for me. . ;

Old 09-20-2015, 12:04 PM

Statistically, you were more likely to have been gunned down where you stood. You might not want to press your luck quite so much in the future. You are not the imposing specimen you imagine yourself to be.

The phrase "harm reduction" is meanwhile relevant to the 30,000 annual deaths from gunshot wounds and nearly 200,000 serious and sometimes crippling injuries. What are you willing to do or see done in order to reduce this toll of death and mayhem in our society? Anything? Anything at all? Or are "stray bullets" just something we should all learn to "live" with in America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates