Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You're right. I'm not a behaviorist who can reliably identify these crackpots in advance. I propose we leave it to the experts who can.
Such experts do not exist.

Quote:
The warnings weren't there because I said so. They're repeated ad nauseum in all the media reports on these incidents.
After the fact. With the benefit of hindsight, we can all tell who the risky ones were. This of course is not "actionable intelligence."

Quote:
Japan is monoracial, monocultural, and monolingual. Not open to immigration. And fairly rigid with little emphasis on individuality. A poor comparison to the USA.
Among other irrelevant variables, Japan does not have as many McDonalds per capita as we do either. But they do have gun control. The US does not. We pay a steep price for that. For every gun-related homicide in Japan, the US has more than 1,000. We have by far the worst levels of gun-related death and mayhem in the developed world. Some people just don't care.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:10 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
You might need to read a few more laws.
No, I don't. I train people to obtain their CCW's for a living. I teach the relevant laws. I'm up to date.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I've offered solutions for harm reduction, but that doesn't jive with you...
Your proposals to date have been worthless. Tougher laws promote injustice, but they do not deter crime, particularly not crime that is heavily based on spur-of-the-moment impulse. Why not admit it: you're just an "I don't care" person. There is no amount of death and mayhem that would actually bother you or move you to do one single meaningful thing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We're not Japan.
I'll say. In comparison to the US, Japan has virtually eliminated gun-related deaths.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Statistically, you were more likely to have been gunned down where you stood. You might not want to press your luck quite so much in the future. You are not the imposing specimen you imagine yourself to be.

The phrase "harm reduction" is meanwhile relevant to the 30,000 annual deaths from gunshot wounds and nearly 200,000 serious and sometimes crippling injuries. What are you willing to do or see done in order to reduce this toll of death and mayhem in our society? Anything? Anything at all? Or are "stray bullets" just something we should all learn to "live" with in America?
Statistically? Really? Do you have data to prove that statement?

Again I will post this.
Here are nearly 7000 instances of successful defensive firearm uses. Each has a citation to the local story.
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx

Old 09-21-2015, 08:15 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

You could say the same about cars.

Most cars today can go 100mph, many can reach 60mph in seconds but where can you drive that car legally at 100mph outside a race track?

The reason we don't have drivers speeding through school zones is because we have laws of the road.

The same applies for guns. A gun can't aim and shoot without someone pulling the trigger.

A car, a gun, a nuclear missile are all inanimate objects until we decide to use them.

Take that fast car to the race track, take the gun to the firing range, aim that nuclear missile at isis and use them the way they were designed to be used. Any other action is criminal.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
No, I don't. I train people to obtain their CCW's for a living. I teach the relevant laws. I'm up to date.
Then you should recognize this...

Whoever violates the Act shall be fined not more than $5,000, imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the term of imprisonment imposed under this paragraph shall not run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment imposed under any other provision of law.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Statistically? Really? Do you have data to prove that statement?
Yes, the worst thing you can do in the million-to-one chance of being confronted by an armed intruder in your home is try to pull a weapon. The intruder did not come to kill you, but as any LEO would do in the same circumstances, if you put the intruder in fear for his own life. he will blow you away without a second thought.

Quote:
Again I will post this. Here are nearly 7000 instances of successful defensive firearm uses. Each has a citation to the local story.
LOL! Those are the same old self-reported nonsense NRA stories as have been debunked already for years and years. Most are tales of some dope hearing a noise in the garage and going out with his GUN to scare off a raccoon. The FBI records about 250 cases of justifiable homicide per year. From all sources.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Despite the stereotypes that we all use to help simplify the world, people are not actually divided up into teams of criminals and law-abiders. As far as guns go, there are gun-owners who have already committed a gun-related crime and gun-owners who have not as of yet. That's really the most you can say for the law-abiders. As a group, you can't trust them. Some of them commit their first gun-related crime every day. You can't predict which ones it will be.

You are painting with an awfully broad brush and presuming guilt before innocence on a large segment of the population. And yet you want to continue to ignore the real issue and keep giving career criminals a free pass! So you want to pass more pre-emptive and more feel good useless legislation that does nothing to solve the actual problem, and act as more of a deterrent, and therefore restrict the rights of law abiding citizens because of what they may or may not do? You're saying that all gun owners are potential criminals. Which means you're saying my step dad, step brother, my neighbor, my best friend who has a conceal carry are all criminals, in which only one of them has shot and killed someone and that doesn't actually count, because they did so while serving on active duty in the military over in Iraq! None of them have ever killed another citizen, or have committed a crime with the guns that they own. In fact, none of them have even had to use their gun in self defense or defense of their property or families. But you want to hinder them and restrict their rights because you ASSume that they may commit a crime with a gun, which couldn't be further from the truth. Then again, I suppose you think using a gun in self defense, or defense of one's family or property is a crime.... I mean after all, the guy that broke into your house at 2AM just wanted to jack your tv, and all of your possessions that you worked hard to obtain, so you should just let the perp have them, right? Or, he may want to rape your wife or daughter, so you should just comply with the perp, and call 911 when a lot can happen in those precious minutes that it takes for the cops to arrive, which is usually after the fact.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
Actually, it's people with guns who kill people. Themselves, others. innocent passers-by. It can be anyone. Absent all these easily available guns, the capacity to kill would still be there of course, but it would be a tiny, tiny fraction of what it is with a gun in hand.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
That's all well and good. Sort of like the gun safety training that the NRA used to focus on back in the days before they became the notorious social pariah that they are today. Heck, they supported gun control laws back then. But none of your efforts to keep CCW types from adding to the levels of gun-related death and mayhem already out there do anything to reduce the levels of gun-related death and mayhem already out there. Which was kind of the question.

Proposed: Either you don't care about the levels of gun-related death and mayhem that are out there, or you are willing to do or see something done that would actually reduce it.

Harm reduction. Are you for it or against it?
The NRA has more firearm safety programs now than ever in it's history.

CCW carriers are not the ones responsible for gun crime stats. It is easily tracked be CCW revocations, which is extremely rare.

"Permit holders are extremely law-abiding. Consider the several states at the front of the current debate, Florida, Michigan,and Texas. Florida is included here because it has issued more permits than any other state. Michigan and Texas are discussed below because they provide detailed data on active permit holders and revocations by age.These three states account for over 2.5 million of the over 11.1 million active concealed handgun permits. During almost three decades,from October 1, 1987 to May 31, 2014, Florida issued permits to almost2.66 million people. These permits have been revoked for firearms-related violations at an annual rate of only 0.0003 percent. For all revocations, the annual rate in Florida is 0.012 percent. The numbers are similarly low in Texas. In 2012 (the latest year that crime data are available), there were 584,850 active license holders.Out of these, 120 were convicted of either a misdemeanor or a felony, a rate of 0.021 percent. Only a few of these crimes involved a gun. Revocations and suspensions occur when people are charged with a crime, but only about 5 percent or less of these cases result in conviction and thus people are eligible for having their licenses reinstated. Over the last five years that revocation data is available (2009 to 2013), the rate is slightly lower, 0.13%."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates