Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I live in hurricane country and have been thru several. I believe in being prepared for the natural disasters that can hit my area. I don't consider myself a nut or paranoid, just using common sense.

By the way - I just broke the prepper's first rule - Don't tell anyone that you are a prepper.
So true. lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Sure they are... until the SHTF. I think it's awesome that people do this.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 AM

385 posts, read 615,141 times
Speaking of prepping, in less than two days we're expecting more snow/ice. Am I paranoid or simply prudent for moving more firewood from the stack outside into my garage today so I don't have to risk walking on ice to keep the house warm during the storm? Am I paranoid or prudent to stop by the store on my way home today instead of tomorrow for "french toast ingredients" (milk, bread, and eggs)? Am I paranoid or prudent to make sure that all of my vehicle fuel tanks are topped off and the jerry cans are full in case I need to fire up the generator?

Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
It's not the preppers that I find interesting It's the people who seem to become totally unhinged at the idea that someone somewhere is trying to be prepared for a possible or not so possible disaster. It is like an affront to them that leads to name calling and labeling (nut jobs, religious nuts, guncrazy, etc.) some will come right out and accuse you of wanting to starve old people and children in a disaster( even though if you did not prep you would starve too,but I guess that is OK because that would be fair).
What does it matter to you? no one is forcing you to do it, or does it go deeper than that and the thought of preppers makes you look out side of your protected little world and see the danger around you?

bill

Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times
Even after all of the hype I've been seeing and hearing about "preppers" for the last, I don't know, six months maybe, I still don't really see what the hell these people are doing that's so bothersome.

Are preppers notorious for instances of mass-violence that I'm unaware of? Have they declared some kind of war against peaceful civilization? Are they hoarding too much food and water? Do they own too many first-aid kits? Could it be their law-abiding gun ownership that has the media and its citizen acolytes so worked up?

Help me out here, folks.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Speaking of prepping, in less than two days we're expecting more snow/ice. Am I paranoid or simply prudent for moving more firewood from the stack outside into my garage today so I don't have to risk walking on ice to keep the house warm during the storm? Am I paranoid or prudent to stop by the store on my way home today instead of tomorrow for "french toast ingredients" (milk, bread, and eggs)? Am I paranoid or prudent to make sure that all of my vehicle fuel tanks are topped off and the jerry cans are full in case I need to fire up the generator?
I'd say you'd be downright prudent to make sure you and yours have enough booze to get ya through.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Yep, you're paranoid! Don't you know that FEMA is right at the end of your block should anything happen? Didn't you see the power trucks parked down the street to fix the wires so you'll only lose power for a few minutes at worst?
Didn't you see the landing pad that is being set up down the street at the school where the president will land so he can tour your block and insure that the government will be right there as soon as your heat/power goes out to protect you and insure you want for nothing until it all gets back to normal?

I'm also very sure that there's at least 2 snow plows hidden down the block to make sure the streets are all passable for emergency traffic and if you need to go get milk.

Yep, definitely paranoid!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Even after all of the hype I've been seeing and hearing about "preppers" for the last, I don't know, six months maybe, I still don't really see what the hell these people are doing that's so bothersome.

Are preppers notorious for instances of mass-violence that I'm unaware of? Have they declared some kind of war against peaceful civilization? Are they hoarding too much food and water? Do they own too many first-aid kits? Could it be their law-abiding gun ownership that has the media and its citizen acolytes so worked up?

Help me out here, folks.
You may be on to something with the "Law-abiding gun ownership" thing.

bill

Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Not really. I think some of them are a bit over the top. Being prepared is just common sense. Having a 3 day or more supply of food and water is something everyone should have. Making your kids and family take Zombie Apocalypse drills every other day is a bit insane.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I don't think they are paranoid. They see the moral fabric, work ethic, etc. declining at a rapid rate. They are extrapolating to the future, as many movies have done, and see a nation coming apart at the seams. So, they are taking steps to survive should the deterioration continue. Its not really based on a government takeover, IMHO, but masses of "zombies" feeding on one another. There's even a term "zombie apocalypse" to describe it, and there are a surprising number of people that think that this is a possible scenario for the USA. Kind of like Detroit on a national scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates