Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiara4life View Post
I think it's not Hip Hop/rap music but something deeper. It only is a scapegoat. Think about it the reason why most of these guys are violent and criminal is because they are being targeted by a multi-billion dollar drug business, and being offered not just subsistence but the promise of wealth. They are being sold the idea that they can drive a Mercedes, wear expensive jewelry, and be a big shot, even though they have done none of the hard work required. They are basically trading high risk for high rewards.

The other side of the drug trade coin are people who have become addicted to the drugs and have no way to pay for them. They are desperate to feed their addiction and end up breaking in to steal property, and even resort to violence in order to pay for more drugs. These people are trading other people’s money and property and other people’s safety to feed their own habits.
The vast majority of violence and crime in the Black community is linked, in one way or another, to narcotics trafficking. However, when you look at the who is really spearheading this plague, you will find very few Black faces at the top. Most are Latinos of European origin (essentially South American White people).
http://listverse.com/2009/10/02/top-10-most-powerful-drug-lords/

These organizations target minority communities because they see that they can exploit the poverty there to their advantage. Young Black men are recruited mostly as expendable soldiers with a short life expectancy. They are perfect so long as they are poor, undereducated, and willing to take big risks. However, the techniques used to advance the trade in the White suburbs is often more adapted to that environment. (Less violence and lower risk) I see the fault both with the organizations and with the individuals who join them on any level. So long story short it's not Hip Hop.
I agree that Hip Hop is not the sole problem but I do believe that it is a contributing factor to the destruction of the young black youth in this country.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
YES. I do believe its been a hugely negative influence on young black males. I went to school with hoards of boys that worshipped hip hop culture. So many of them ended up in jail, with dozens of baby mommas and doing a whole lot of nothing with their lives.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:03 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,571 times
no crime rates were higher in the 70's, then they are now

Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
Seems a little inside the box to me. Why is Hip Hop destroying African Americans specifically and not the other races? They certainty aren't the only ones who listen to hip-hop

Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Rapper "Styles P" talks about how rappers have a huge influence over the youth. This example talks more specifically about Kanye West.

Styles P. Would Freak if Son Wore Kanye Skirt Home - YouTube

Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM

808 posts, read 1,878,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Seems a little inside the box to me. Why is Hip Hop destroying African Americans specifically and not the other races? They certainty aren't the only ones who listen to hip-hop
The difference is that for other races 'acting black' or wanting to be black is just an adolescent phase you eventually grow out of. I certainly remember listening to crunk, sagging my shorts and adding -izzle to the end of sentences when I was in high school. Eventually I wizened up, became comfortable with my own culture, got a good job and became more or less a productive member of society. On the other hand, some black kids look up to hip hop stars and actually see them as role models to be emulated. Of course only a handful ever make it big, and the rest end up with no education, no marketable skills and no future prospects. Yes this can happen to people of any race, but people generally identify more with others who look like them so I don't think it's unreasonable to state that hip hop disproportionately affects African American youth.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
All I know, is that any woman who listens to hip hop is an idiot. Rappers hate women with a passion.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 AM

353 posts, read 395,382 times
I agree, rap music is extremely misogynistic. Also, rap has destroyed the image of black people, especially in the U.S. If I had 3 wish that could be granted, banning rap forever would be one of my wishes.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
All I know, is that any woman who listens to hip hop is an idiot. Rappers hate women with a passion.
All, I know is anyone who does not know that hip hop and rap are not the same thing is an idiot. And btw not all rappers speak negatively about women, but you wouldn't know any better.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Back in the day black talent had talent. Now someone capable of using a computer program...setting up some artificial beats then use auto-tune to make someone seem to sound like they can rap or sing in pitch......The problem is that most black kids can not sing...and few even know how to actually play a musical instrument. It is one huge con game perpetrated on ignorant youth who have been denied the pleasure of melody and actual music for that fact.

Most of these guys have degraded the quality and standard of music in general..now no talent is considered talent...Just listen to DRAKE...there is nothing there yet he is making the big bucks. It used to be about making good music and status and money were secondary.

Oddly if you go back in time great black performers paid their dues and had great skill and soul...now all they have is a cheap car made in Japan that sounds like a boom box on wheels spewing out hate and destruction and "popping you with a couple of caps"

I don't know who started this whole hip hop era..but I suspect that they were sleazy white producers who put up the money to take advantage of stupid kids who's terrified parents foot the bill for the music.

About ten years ago I was working on a film set and some rappers were doing a guest spot..I asked them what it was about. They basically said it was about shaking down the parents for cash by creating intimidating young listeners....Hip hop encourages hooliganism and gun violence along with an image of not having to work to live the good life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates