Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times

Advertisements

Modern country is just as bad with just as awful of lyrics. It glorifies being hammered drunk, having a huge ego, beat your husband beat your wife, watching NASCAR, and all sorts of other godawful activities. Why do people like this crappy music, because they can identify with it and it makes them feel good cause your doing it too.

Metal music on the other hand, for the most part, has genuinely good lyrics and musicians that lead good lives. Look it up.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:22 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I love most kinds of music, what do I find offensive in music? The absence of any coherent score would be a good place to begin, the absence of chords for another and more than any thing else the absence of sense. Poetry is another subject all together and most rap certainly falls into that category. Going to jail IS a big deal for those in the gangs, it has become their rite of passage, of course once inside they quickly adapt to the regimen of prison life. Unfortunately, a life very much like the one they left on the outs. If it's a discussion on the modern social paradigm in America that's warranted CD has no shortage of forums for that.

Hip Hop is a wide genre of sound, but it's also about the people who make it. It's no secret that the American ghetto scene is now synonymous with gang lifestyles, Mexican, white, black, Asian, they all "represent" for their local turf, drugs, violence, poverty, homelessness, all contribute to the misery found in the American slums. Making money by engaging in crime is certainly not frowned upon in these areas, and going to prison is just another experience to have under your belt. One thing remains true about this music, it IS the most popular prison music ever.

If you're offended by my dislike for rap-hip hop or any other kind of music rest assured that many in this country are feeling that same dislike, but then again Elvis wasn't readily accepted in his time either......
In gangs, yes. We never had gangs in south Louisiana so I don't know anything about gang life unless I saw it on Gangland. In a regular hood setting, jail is no right of passage.

You say you love music, do you like any hip-hop? I'm not offended, I just was wanting to know if you grouped it all together like many do. I love hip-hop, as I can relate to it, but I don't listen to much radio rap at all.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:47 AM

104 posts, read 149,799 times
Rap started started out like punk rock unpolished and pure in its intentions. It took a less is more approach mostly out of necessity. In NYC where hip hop started, most people lived in apartments. Some people couldn't afford instruments plus there was no room for instruments so the DJ was became the band. Lyrically, it was considered party music but there were some MC's that were socially conscious and it reflected in the lyrical content. Then it got big and thus rappers became lazy just writing songs that had a good hook that would sell. Rap started to lack in creativity musically and lyrically. Rappers became businessmen and branched off to other things such as clothing lines and athletic wear and became actors and so forth. It is now corporate. What is popular now and is played for the massed is decided by corporations and they dictate what you hear. - Yes it is bad and is one of the main contributors to the destruction of young black youth. But the main issue facing young black youth is the lack of fathers involved. The black family structure has been decimated. Single young black woman cannot raise young boys by themselves. Black men need to step up.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:58 PM

420 posts, read 698,040 times
nope nope nope nope. What happened as far as the type of hip-hop you guys are reffering to was that at first art imitated life. When money came into play, life started imitating the art, creating a clusterfluck of everything imitating everything... for nothing more than a dollar. That's what happened to rap.

But people like to put the blame only on rap and rappers for decadence.

Far from it.

Nothing is more decadent or self destructive than the old time rockers with their drug (coke, heroin, opium) binges, wild sex romps, and general aszhole behavior (wrecking hotel rooms, throwing tvs off balconies, biting chicken heads off on stage). All which influenced a lot of their fans and wannabes on the streets to live the same type of lives and aspire to be the same types of aszholes or one of a more pointless breed. No one ever brings that up but I'm going to bring that up today.

Last edited by ROAM; 10-06-2013 at 03:24 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERMAN View Post
Rap started started out like punk rock unpolished and pure in its intentions. It took a less is more approach mostly out of necessity. In NYC where hip hop started, most people lived in apartments. Some people couldn't afford instruments plus there was no room for instruments so the DJ was became the band. Lyrically, it was considered party music but there were some MC's that were socially conscious and it reflected in the lyrical content. Then it got big and thus rappers became lazy just writing songs that had a good hook that would sell. Rap started to lack in creativity musically and lyrically. Rappers became businessmen and branched off to other things such as clothing lines and athletic wear and became actors and so forth. It is now corporate. What is popular now and is played for the massed is decided by corporations and they dictate what you hear. - Yes it is bad and is one of the main contributors to the destruction of young black youth. But the main issue facing young black youth is the lack of fathers involved. The black family structure has been decimated. Single young black woman cannot raise young boys by themselves. Black men need to step up.
I'm going tell you what really happened here in a little bit more detail. Rap was good until people started talking about money in an upfront way. People knew that rappers made money, but it wasn't until they started to push that into the forefront that rap started to decline. This started in the mid 90's. Specifically with Notorious B.I.G.'s don "character", the person you call Puff Daddy/Diddy that created that persona, and their videos for "Juicy" and more specifically "Big Poppa".. and this is why he is still the wealthiest person in hip-hop.

Up until that time people had on their chain and spoke about making $ and so and so and such and such, but when people started to make song or entire personas based on being a rich don.. when people started to shoot video in pools and show all these fancy cars in the MID 90s, and then go on interviews talking aobut how much money they have, (WHICH DIDNT HAPPEN UP TO THAT TIME) this is when waves of untalented people from GENERAL PUBLIC thought that they too should become rappers, causing all out chaos in the art form. Keep in mind that in NYC this was also the EXACT time that the crack era was ending, so "entrepreneurs" were looking for a new "hustle" to get into.

Add that with the label executives seeing the success of B.I.G.'s Big Poppa Don persona and looking for their own versions and spinoffs.. and the radio rolling with that wave.. it's didn't take long for that hollow money-based hip-hop kitsch to become all that you hear. Don't beleive me? Listen to Jay-Z's 92-93 lyrics and his 1995 lyrics AFTER the rise of Biggie. He didn't started off rhyming "donnish". He sounded like the funtime group the Fu-Schnickens. After he saw that BIG and Puff ruled became KING OF RAP, using Playboy/Rich Boy persona, he decided to musically take on an even bigger one musically as well (presenting himself as a jet hopping, vegas card throwing kilo supplier compared to B.I.G.'s being a street level thug/robber ).

This my friends is where the decline of rap started.

Last edited by ROAM; 10-06-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTeaDrinker2013 View Post
Rock
- Sex
- Wrecking hotel rooms
- Drug use
ADDITION - Devil Worship
ADDITION - Suicide

Rap
- Sex
- Selling drugs
- Selling guns
- Killing people
- Raping people

Sex is sex, the American society loves sex and pulls it over you like a blanket from the day after you learn to walk, so that's a non issue.

Where do you get "raping people" from. Show me the rap song that promotes rape? I'll wait.

Drugs, Guns, and Shooting are presented in rap. Is that over represented in rap? I think so, but understand very few people in the street are driven by music to actually do these things and that's lessening by the day. Even those that get these types of ideas from music will snap out in early adulthood. The rest of people were just inclined to do that and would do it without or without music.

There were jewish and italians gangster that busted their gun and killed people after listening to Frank Sinatra. Jazz men in Harlem that played beautiful piano then shot someone dead in the cabaret right after. Its not the music that drives people to do these things.

What is affecting a lot of the black youth is lack of fathers/father figures, lack of good parenting, and poor environments in general.

Last edited by ROAM; 10-06-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTeaDrinker2013 View Post
Is that a joke? Look at rape statistics
Lets not derail the thread, but in NYC there were 1200 supposed rapes last with whites accounting for 14% of it. That's about 170 rapes, that's a lot.. over ten a month.. that number should be lower for you to act as "pure" as you're trying to portray. What I saying was rape is not something culturally accepted or condoned. That type of thing gets you exiled from you neighborhood at best.

Last edited by ROAM; 10-06-2013 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 12:44 AM

67 posts, read 189,165 times
I don't think it alone does, but in conjunction with the ghetto, yes. As we all know, the ghetto is a dreary, depressing place. The only thing that a child can like about the ghetto is the dreams they have about getting out of it. The children then hear of rappers dealing drugs, gang banging, and all of the maladies they (rappers) spew, they think " look at [Insert rappers name]! Look at what he did, and he is out of the ghetto, maybe if I do what he did I can leave too!" But this is just not the case. as for the dressing factor, some would say that i dress in a hip hop oriented way, which i see nothing wrong with, it is just my (and many others) choice of fashion.

Last edited by LEROYJENKINS!; 10-16-2013 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: typo/ re-wording

Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 PM

285 posts, read 427,044 times
As a black chic, I stay away from individuals (especially men) who are engrossed in hiphop/rap music or/and the culture.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:16 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
The world is so different now, than back when many thought Elvis was the ruination of us all. For me, I like a lot of rap and I'm sure I think hip-hop is rap. How is it different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates