Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
After reading the various posts from those obviously on the plus side of forty I realized the one aspect of hip-hop music that serves as an enticement to youth IS the fact that most older folks don't care for it, this is reason enough for a kid to LOVE it..

Aside from that I'd have to say that I personally find this music as offensive as any music could possibly be. The thing that bothers me however isn't the choice of music in the youth culture, it's the infatuation with the entire prison experience, it's as though todays youth are confused over the REAL prison reality and instead see it as something to worship, this IS the foundation for all the gangsta mentality and the music, Tats, clothing, etc. that is included in the "I'm bad", "package".
In my particular year group, the "common young black male experience" was Vietnam (even if you hadn't been to Vietnam). That was reflected in the ubiquitous olive drab field jacket worn by war veterans and war protestors alike.

The "common young black male experience" today seems to be prison--also reflected in popular young male dress.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:31 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Rap is the most misogynist form of music ever. No expression of any form has every held women in more contempt. But far more destructive to black men and women is welfare. It has destroyed the black family. This disaster, as bad as it has been, has still not played itself out completely.

Actually, American media as a whole holds women in contempt. Rap is just a reflection of that the overall misogyny. Rap music was born out of the sickness of American culture. As for welfare, White women are the majority on welfare.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:14 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
As for welfare, White women are the majority on welfare.
However, the deleterious effect on the black family of the specific program "Aid to Dependent Children" was well known even back in the mid 60s. That program only provided welfare as long as there was no evidence of a adult male in the household. It's negative effect was even the subject of a popular black movie in the 70s, "Claudine." That program was essentially ended in 1996, however.

"Welfare" today is nothing like what it used to be, and the old mantras need to be reconsidered. I haven't yet seen any good studies as to how it's affecting the phenomenon of generational government dependencies.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:19 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Not just Black youth, but anyone who listens to that crap!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:42 PM

240 posts, read 423,012 times
I don't know if this has already been said as this thread is a year old and I don't feel like reading through all 23 pages of comments but there is a difference between Hip Hop and Rap (IMO). Rap is more prevalent today while 'real' hip hop has pretty much gone underground. Much of the content of hip hip is about black empowerment and social awareness which can be attributed to artists like KRS-One, Public Enemy and A Tribe Called Quest to name only a few. Much of the rap music today is mainstream and cookie cutter and glorifies a lot of negativity. However, the music of artists like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Jay Electronica, Dead Prez and Jay Cole, in my opinion, still embody the content of social awareness that is lacking in the mainstream rap music today. Unfortunately, hip hop doesn't sell...rap does.

My point? Hip Hop should be removed from the title of this thread and replaced with Rap.

With that being said, I do not believe rap music is destroying young black youth. Several black youth in my family are currently full time college students while working a part time job, have never been in trouble and live in the inner city. All of whom listen to Lil Wayne and the like. The behaviors of any youth, regardless of race, is a correlation of what is taught in the home, supervision and the environment in which they live...not music.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 8,665 times
Default No, Its

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Does Hip Hop culture contribute to the destruction of young Black Youth in America? It seems that many young Americans(especially young black males) idolize and look up to rappers who perpetuate negative stereotypes they portray like materialism, solving every problem with violence, degrading females, not valuing education, homophobism, etc. Is Hip Hop destroying the young Black Youth of this country?
It is not the music per se, its the parents who do not know better and never teach their kids that these Artists are AN ACT not to be imitated. I mean, look at Kanye. A really intelligent, productive entrepreneur in private life with a carefully crafted "thug" image in real life. It is just an Act.
And on top of that, the artists nowadays no longer do public service campaigns, where their real selves would come out and give positive advice to their fans. All for the money.

IGNORANCE is destroying Black and White youth in America, not music.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:10 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
I don't know if this has already been said as this thread is a year old and I don't feel like reading through all 23 pages of comments but there is a difference between Hip Hop and Rap (IMO). Rap is more prevalent today while 'real' hip hop has pretty much gone underground. Much of the content of hip hip is about black empowerment and social awareness which can be attributed to artists like KRS-One, Public Enemy and A Tribe Called Quest to name only a few. Much of the rap music today is mainstream and cookie cutter and glorifies a lot of negativity. However, the music of artists like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Jay Electronica, Dead Prez and Jay Cole, in my opinion, still embody the content of social awareness that is lacking in the mainstream rap music today. Unfortunately, hip hop doesn't sell...rap does.

My point? Hip Hop should be removed from the title of this thread and replaced with Rap.

With that being said, I do not believe rap music is destroying young black youth. Several black youth in my family are currently full time college students while working a part time job, have never been in trouble and live in the inner city. All of whom listen to Lil Wayne and the like. The behaviors of any youth, regardless of race, is a correlation of what is taught in the home, supervision and the environment in which they live...not music.
I agree 100%. Well said, cali2jersey.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Stop and frisk and justifying it added to the harm. Check US history to see the cumulative effect of why things are as they are today.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:17 AM

646 posts, read 926,630 times
The short answer is yes. The real answer is its complicated. Hip Hop only exposed society's problems, it dint create them. Ghettos were ghettos before Hip Hop came along. The ghettos actually made Hip Hop come along. It was a break from street life and an outlet for many kids to battle it out on a dancefloor instead violently in the hood so it had noble beginnings. Not all Hip Hop is the same, its not all black and white. There have been many social consious artists who rap about real stuff and make u think, which is good. There have also been many worthless artists like Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, etc who rap bout nothing or stupid stuff. Of course its gon affect the impressionable youth, but just like eryth else will: TV, media, video games, school, friends, parents, upbringing. Its only one of the factors that affect kids so its not fair to dump everyth on it. That said when they rap bout poppin molly, thats unacceptable surely and gives a bad example. So to sum it up, yes it does contribute but its not the most important factor. Family structure is.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:22 AM

646 posts, read 926,630 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzeZhCt5PVA&feature=kp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates