Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:17 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Consider yourself very lucky.

Have you ever gone to an older cemetery and looked at how many tombstones have the names/dates of small children who died very young? I would hazard a guess that many of them died from measles, flu, etc. I bet those parents who lost those children would have gladly vaccinated their child if it was available to them back then.
I have been to my own family's gravesite. Saw the names of 4 babies under the age of 5 my great-grandma had. My grandmother was the ONLY child of 5 to survive. She was born in 1884. ALL of her 4 children did survive. That was not because vaccinations. They were not around from 1905 through 1919. She and her babies were just LUCKY???? Ever consider maybe it was something else? Grandma survived all those epidemics and passed on her natural immunity antibodies to her offspring.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I do think we should all be our own advocates. Nobody will ever care about your children as you do. The issue that I see is that some folk don't seem to know the difference between legitimate sources and quackery. And not only that, some of us are not able to grasp the science and statistics of the studies made available. We should definitely investigate, but a point is going to come where we have to have some trust in health care providers.

For example, I've been looking into sun screen for my 1 year old. I understand that her body surface area, compared to her weight, is much larger than that of an older child or adult. This apparently is a part of the issue with babies and sun screen. I called my ped nurse as the final call on the issue because I'm not finding the exact answers I want via google with ease. She should know this stuff because it's what she and the dr's in the practice do.

Further, do you ever take advil, tylenol, or any over the counter or even a script? If yes, then you will probably face greater issues giving that stuff to your family than any vaccine.
Understood. Any your reply was very good, not like some saying people that don't immunize their children should be charged with attempted manslaughter. That type of response shows a lack of common sense and is driven by emotion, I see people like that debating other topics. I agree it is all about knowledge and trust. I guess if it wasn't pushed the way it is , I'd probably be more open about it. I am saddened we weren't able to have a child but glad that we didn't have to make this decision.
As far as myself and my wife, we try to limit our intake of over the counter or prescription drugs. I do take an allergy med and she takes a thryroid med. But it is our choice to take these, at the moment vaccinations are still a choice, although a tough one but it is looking like that choice might be gone in the future, that is where I have an issue with it.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:20 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpoint1 View Post
Why anyone would deny their child or other family member any vaccinations at all is a complete mystery to me.

Medicine and science have made great strides; the ignorance, confusion, and conspiracy-mindedness of a few shouldn't endanger public health.
The USA has almost been founded upon the belief that "experts" are not to be trusted and the opinion of the "common man" has equal validity. A former nude model and washed up comedienne is on equal footing with a PhD virologist with 20 years work experience at the CDC because we're all equals here in America and anyone with the wherewithal and some gumption has the right to an opinion as much as an egghead scientist working for the government. This attitude is nothing new and you can find analogues to the antivax people of today going all the way back to the Mayflower.

The UK and other Anglophone countries actually put a great deal of trust in their experts. Deferring matters of science to the "boffins" is pretty well accepted in the UK (and NZ, Australia, even Canada) However, the UK is far more class oriented than the USA and the upper classes who actually run things have experimented with large scale oppressive social program(me)s for centuries. The UK loves their "programmes" and there is a constant class of people who love to protest against such programs. Much of UK media and literature is about this conflict, as an recent example, just check out "In The Flesh" on BBC. The antivax movement there is more of a protest against another form of that sort of top down class based social program, rather than the folksy American "distrust of experts" antivax movement.

Last edited by rzzz; 06-03-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
The USA has almost been founded upon the belief that "experts" are not to be trusted and the opinion of the "common man" has equal validity. A former nude model and washed up comedienne is on equal footing with a PhD virologist with 20 years work experience at the CDC because we're all equals here in America and anyone with the wherewithal and some gumption has the right to an opinion as much as an egghead scientist working for the government. This attitude is nothing new and you can find analogues to the antivax people of today going all the way back to the Mayflower.

The UK and other Anglophone countries actually put a great deal of trust in their experts. Deferring matters of science to the "boffins" is pretty well accepted in the UK (and NZ, Australia, even Canada) However, the UK is far more class oriented than the USA and the upper classes who actually run things have experimented with large scale oppressive social program(me)s for centuries. The UK loves their "programmes" and there is a constant class of people who love to protest against such programs. Much of UK media and literature is about this conflict, as an recent example, just check out "In The Flesh" on BBC. The antivax movement there is more of a protest against another form of that sort of top down class based social program, rather than the folksy American "distrust of experts" antivax movement.
That may be true but how many times have we seen how corrupt large corporations can become when billions of dollars are on the line, or how many drugs that were deemed safe have now been found to be harmful , and how we can't trust the FDA to ensure that what we are eating, drinking or whatever is completely safe. Granted, what we have here in the US is probably far more safe for us then elsewhere in the world.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:14 PM

8 posts, read 11,936 times
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, someone who has worked in emergency medicine for 16 years, not vaccinating your child is not only a really bad idea for them, but a really bad idea for society in general.

Not only have there been no studies that definitively link vaccinations with negative results, things like autism, which is one of the most common myths parents cite when refusing vaccination, there have been a near infinite number of studies and the results of history to prove that not vaccinating is indeed instead actually a very bad thing. BAD.

Through vaccination, we've nearly entirely wiped out smallpox, polio, diphtheria, and measles, all terrible diseases. And how do people think that we've nearly completely suppressed here in America, and could potentially completely eradicate in third world and developing countries (if vaccines were available to all in those places), terrible, terrible illnesses like mumps, rubella, pertussis, pneumococcal disease, tetanus, and yellow and typhoid fever? VACCINES!

Some of these diseases can be treated effectively with antibiotics IF they are recognized early enough, but can and do kill if not, and can sometimes still kill even with antibiotic treatment. Millions of people die around the world every year from these diseases that vaccines are available for simply because they don't have access to them or can't afford them. Completely preventable, terribly sad. And for the ones that antibiotic treatment can be effective, it means that we use more and more antibiotics which is a really big problem. The more we use them, the more the diseases encounter them, and eventually evolve to become resistant or completely immune to them. And when antibiotics no longer work, we have a SERIOUS problem, obviously. It's already happened. A strain of staph bacteria named MRSA runs RAMPANT throughout hospitals and medical institutions because, as it's name implies (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) it's completely immune to antibiotics.

So, by not vaccinating children, we're leaving them defenseless when and if they're exposed to horrific diseases that maim, cripple, torture, and cripple, and of course also can kill. The more people that go unvaccinated, the higher the chance of a nearly dead disease coming back again, obviously. If one person with one of these diseases comes to a place like the US where everyone was vaccinated, it would end there. But if people aren't vaccinated, then it starts to spread and makes a comeback, erasing years of hard work by the CDC and WHO in combination with governments and local volunteer agencies. It doesn't take a ton of people to go unvaccinated to start an outbreak, as many of these are EXTREMELY contagious.

Not vaccinating your children is like playing Russian Roulette with their health, well being, and ultimately their lives, as well as those of the people around them - some of these diseases we no longer vaccinate for because they are essentially dead, but there's always a dozen or so cases world wide each year. Places where people are still vaccinated because the disease still lingers, if they stopped vaccinating their children, those dozen or so cases would turn into an outbreak and then God help us if it got to America.

Not vaccinating your children is not only terribly negligent on the part of your child's health and welfare, it risks the health and welfare of everyone around them. It's selfish. It doesn't matter if you THINK you know more than doctors and health professionals, you DON'T. Unless you're a doctor yourself and are dumb enough to think that your belief that vaccines are more hazardous than helpful, in disagreement with every other doctor in the world, then maybe you could make the argument that in your delusional state you know better than all the other doctors. But even then you're still wrong.

Vaccinate your kids. It should be a law that they're vaccinated in order to protect the rest of society from those parents who wouldn't do so if not forced to. When the good of society at large is in danger because of the poor choices of a few people, I think it's an appropriate intrusion of government on parenting rights in order to protect the rest of us.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdallen View Post
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, someone who has worked in emergency medicine for 16 years, not vaccinating your child is not only a really bad idea for them, but a really bad idea for society in general.

Not only have there been no studies that definitively link vaccinations with negative results, things like autism, which is one of the most common myths parents cite when refusing vaccination, there have been a near infinite number of studies and the results of history to prove that not vaccinating is indeed instead actually a very bad thing. BAD.

Through vaccination, we've nearly entirely wiped out smallpox, polio, diphtheria, and measles, all terrible diseases. And how do people think that we've nearly completely suppressed here in America, and could potentially completely eradicate in third world and developing countries (if vaccines were available to all in those places), terrible, terrible illnesses like mumps, rubella, pertussis, pneumococcal disease, tetanus, and yellow and typhoid fever? VACCINES!

Some of these diseases can be treated effectively with antibiotics IF they are recognized early enough, but can and do kill if not, and can sometimes still kill even with antibiotic treatment. Millions of people die around the world every year from these diseases that vaccines are available for simply because they don't have access to them or can't afford them. Completely preventable, terribly sad. And for the ones that antibiotic treatment can be effective, it means that we use more and more antibiotics which is a really big problem. The more we use them, the more the diseases encounter them, and eventually evolve to become resistant or completely immune to them. And when antibiotics no longer work, we have a SERIOUS problem, obviously. It's already happened. A strain of staph bacteria named MRSA runs RAMPANT throughout hospitals and medical institutions because, as it's name implies (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) it's completely immune to antibiotics.

So, by not vaccinating children, we're leaving them defenseless when and if they're exposed to horrific diseases that maim, cripple, torture, and cripple, and of course also can kill. The more people that go unvaccinated, the higher the chance of a nearly dead disease coming back again, obviously. If one person with one of these diseases comes to a place like the US where everyone was vaccinated, it would end there. But if people aren't vaccinated, then it starts to spread and makes a comeback, erasing years of hard work by the CDC and WHO in combination with governments and local volunteer agencies. It doesn't take a ton of people to go unvaccinated to start an outbreak, as many of these are EXTREMELY contagious.

Not vaccinating your children is like playing Russian Roulette with their health, well being, and ultimately their lives, as well as those of the people around them - some of these diseases we no longer vaccinate for because they are essentially dead, but there's always a dozen or so cases world wide each year. Places where people are still vaccinated because the disease still lingers, if they stopped vaccinating their children, those dozen or so cases would turn into an outbreak and then God help us if it got to America.

Not vaccinating your children is not only terribly negligent on the part of your child's health and welfare, it risks the health and welfare of everyone around them. It's selfish. It doesn't matter if you THINK you know more than doctors and health professionals, you DON'T. Unless you're a doctor yourself and are dumb enough to think that your belief that vaccines are more hazardous than helpful, in disagreement with every other doctor in the world, then maybe you could make the argument that in your delusional state you know better than all the other doctors. But even then you're still wrong.

Vaccinate your kids. It should be a law that they're vaccinated in order to protect the rest of society from those parents who wouldn't do so if not forced to. When the good of society at large is in danger because of the poor choices of a few people, I think it's an appropriate intrusion of government on parenting rights in order to protect the rest of us.
You people are all about ME, ME, ME. You are going to kill ME. Only YOU have rights. Nobody else.

As an unvaccinated ELDERLY person, BS. They use US Seniors too. Your unvaccinated kids will be killing GRANNY. As a Senior I say to the CDC, SHUT UP, and using us as a propganda tool. Let parents, and ADULTS, decide for themselves. I am not getting your vaccinations as a Senior adult. Try and FORCE me. America has drank the government Kool-Aid and make Pharmecticals and Doctors RICH using fear tacits. You are just a PAWN (sheep immunity) and you cannot even see that you are being using for an agenda for $$$$$$.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:48 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Grandma survived all those epidemics and passed on her natural immunity antibodies to her offspring.
Immunity from mother to baby (antibodies which pass through the placenta) is temporary, lasting only a few weeks to months. Breast milk also contains antibodies, extending protection. But after that, a baby/child will have no natural immunity to disease.

The only naturally-occurring lifelong antibodies that a human has are those pertaining to the ABO blood system (your blood type).

Old 06-03-2014, 01:51 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
I find it to be extremely negligent to not vaccinate your kid. Negligent for your kid & other kids.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I find it to be extremely negligent to not vaccinate your kid. Negligent for your kid & other kids.
Well, only other unvaccinated kids right ?

Old 06-03-2014, 02:24 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
No, because some who will get it have not gotten to the age to be vaccinated or have a medical condition that precludes vaccination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates