Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:55 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,906,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This is a spin off of the thread on whether African Americans should forget Jim Crow and Slavery and just "move on".

Should the jews do this as well?

Even though they were nearly exterminated a good 60/70 years ago, should they just "forget" about it now and stop talking about it every chance they get? How about the reparations they've been receiving? Should they stop getting it now as all those people who participated in violence against them are "no longer living" like they tell blacks (who've never received any reparations or even a bag of rice)?

Let's discuss.
Quote:
“After World War II, a new consensus emerged in the United States and Europe that Jews had to be integrated posthumously into white Europeanness, and that the horror of the Jewish holocaust was essentially a horror at the murder of white Europeans. Since the 1960s, Hollywood films about the holocaust began to depict Jewish victims of Nazism as white Christian-looking, middle class, educated and talented people not unlike contemporary European and American Christians who should and would identify with them. Presumably if the films were to depict the poor religious Jews of Eastern Europe (and most East European Jews who were killed by the Nazis were poor and many were religious), contemporary white Christians would not find commonality with them. Hence, the post-holocaust European Christian horror at the genocide of European Jews was not based on the horror of slaughtering people in the millions who were different from European Christians, but rather a horror at the murder of millions of people who were the same as European Christians. This explains why in a country like the United States, which had nothing to do with the slaughter of European Jews, there exists upwards of 40 holocaust memorials and a major museum for the murdered Jews of Europe, but not one for the holocaust of Native Americans or African Americans for which the US is responsible.”

The Last of the Semites by Joseph Massad

The last of the Semites - Opinion - Al Jazeera English
Perhaps we should look at this also.
Quote:
]"Jews also took an active part in the Dutch colonial slave trade; indeed, the bylaws of the Recife and Mauricia congregations (1648) included an imposta (Jewish tax) of five soldos for each Negro slave a Brazilian Jew purchased from the West Indies Company. Slave auctions were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday. In Curacao in the seventeenth century, as well as in the British colonies of Barbados and Jamaica in the eighteenth century, Jewish merchants played a major role in the slave trade. In fact, in all the American colonies, whether French (Martinique), British, or Dutch, Jewish merchants frequently dominated."

"This was no less true on the North American mainland, where during the eighteenth century Jews participated in the 'triangular trade' that brought slaves from Africa to the West Indies and there exchanged them for molasses, which in turn was taken to New England and converted into rum for sale in Africa."

"Slave trading was a major feature of Jewish economic life in Surinam which as a major stopping-off point in the triangular trade."

"The Jews were the recipients of favorable charters containing generous economic privileges granted by the Dutch West Indies Company in Amsterdam. The economic life of the Jewish community of Curacao revolved around ownership of sugar plantations and marketing of sugar, the importing of manufactured goods, and a heavy involvement in the slave trade, within a decade of their arrival, Jews owned 80 percent of the Curacao plantations."

Jewish Involvement In Black Slave Trade To The Americas

Quote:
"The New World location where the Jews played the largest role in the slave-trade was in the Caribbean and Suriname, most notably in possessions of Holland, that were serviced by the Dutch West India Company. The slave trade was one of the most important occupations of Jews living in Suriname and the Caribbean. The Jews of Suriname were the largest slave-holders in the region.

The only places where Jews came close to dominating the New World plantation systems were Curaçao and Suriname. Slave auctions in the Dutch colonies were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday. Jewish merchants in the Dutch colonies acted as middlemen, buying slaves from the Dutch West India Company, and reselling them to plantation owners. The majority of buyers at slave auctions in the Brazil and the Dutch colonies were Jews.

Jews played a "major role" in the slave trade in Barbados and Jamaica.
Jewish plantation owners in Suriname helped to suppress several slave revolts in the period 1690 to 1722.

Jewish views on slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
"Jews also took an active part in the Dutch colonial slave trade; indeed, the bylaws of the Recife and Mauricia congregations (1648) included an imposta (Jewish tax) of five soldos for each Negro slave a Brazilian Jew purchased from the West Indies Company. Slave auctions were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday. In Curacao in the seventeenth century, as well as in the British colonies of Barbados and Jamaica in the eighteenth century, Jewish merchants played a major role in the slave trade. In fact, in all the American colonies, whether French (Martinique), British, or Dutch, Jewish merchants frequently dominated.

Jews and Judaism in the United States a Documentary History (New York: Behrman House, Inc., Pub, 1983), pp. 14, 23-25. (Library of Jewish Studies)

"This was no less true on the North American mainland, where during the eighteenth century Jews participated in the 'triangular trade' that brought slaves from Africa to the West Indies and there exchanged them for molasses, which in turn was taken to New England and converted into rum for sale in Africa. Isaac Da Costa of Charleston in the 1750's, David Franks of Philadelphia in the 1760's, and Aaron Lopez of Newport in the late 1760's and early 1770's dominated Jewish slave trading on the American continent."

Rabbi Marc Lee Raphaelis the Nathan and Sophia Gumenick Professor of Judaic Studies, Professor of Religion, and Chair, Department of Religion, The College of William and Mary, and a Visiting Fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford University. He has been the editor of the quarterly journal, American Jewish History, for 19 years, and a visiting professor at Brown University, the University of Pittsburgh, HUC-JIR, UCLA, and Case Western Reserve University. He came to The College of William and Mary in 1989 after 20 years at Ohio State University. He is the author of many books on Jews and Judaism in America.
Dutch rabbi: Jews were deeply involved in slave trade | i24news - See beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Since you are replying for a comment on one of my messages, this is my response.

First, my point was not to let myself off the hook because I am not white, my ancestors did not have slaves, and as Mestizo Mexican it is most possible my ancestors were discriminated by white Spaniards during colonial times.

And the :It wasn't me...." comment I understand if people say it. If you or anybody want to keep dwelling or whining for what happened 500 years ago, go for it. I just do not join this type of crowd. I look forward and see the past so we try not to repeat the wrongs. Take care.
Most Mexicans have African ancestry in varying degrees. And not all slaves were black or of African descent. There were slaves of all races!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-20-2014 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: Merge and see DM

Old 10-22-2014, 02:13 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It's not just the Jews that went to concentration camps, gays, gypsies, Slavs, and Jehovah's witnesses also.

Here is a little known fact that most in the US are not familiar with, the group that was even worse than the nazis, the Ustashi ran the most brutal concentration camp ever, Jasenovic, in the Balkans where Jews, Orthodox Serbs, gypsies and Roma were killed in the most brutal ways imaginable. The Ustashi was run by the Jesuits, cardinal Stepinac of Zagreb was the highest ranking member of the Catholic Church to be convicted of a war crime.

"Forgetting" should be out of the question.
Here's another, in the '30s, Stalin deliberately starved more Ukrainians to death than were killed in all the German camps combined in a largely ignored atrocity known as the holodomor.

Why do we see so little acknowledgement of that in the history books?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:49 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,906,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Forget? No.

Use that to excuse failure and criminal behavior? Also no.
Agreed! It's also sad when oppressed become oppressors themselves

Old 10-24-2014, 12:47 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times

This thread has gotten to the point that I have had to delete a lot of posts that are short "I agree" or "I disagree" posts which is usually a sign that the topic has been debated out.

THREAD CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates