Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This is a spin off of the thread on whether African Americans should forget Jim Crow and Slavery and just "move on".

Should the jews do this as well?

Even though they were nearly exterminated a good 60/70 years ago, should they just "forget" about it now and stop talking about it every chance they get? How about the reparations they've been receiving? Should they stop getting it now as all those people who participated in violence against them are "no longer living" like they tell blacks (who've never received any reparations or even a bag of rice)?

Let's discuss.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nope.

All four grandparents were Holocaust refugees. All four of them lost most or all of their family members between 1939 and 1945.

Soooooooooooooo....yeah. Not forgetting.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:22 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times
Why should they forget? What would that accomplish? Sure they should remember. Just as we should remember the perhaps 100 million murdered in Russia...

Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,629 times
In many ways, I hate THE '' xxxxx group'' needs to forget past tragedies mentality. Especially here in America. Certain events like 9/11 you ''never forget'' but when it happens to a more specific group ''forget it''. It's pure hypocrisy in my opinion.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:19 AM

62,994 posts, read 29,178,555 times
If it happened to you personally then I understand it. However, why constantly remind the rest of us what happened to their ancestors long ago especially when it didn't even happen on our soil? They can remember among themselves all they want but leave the rest of us out of it that had nothing to do with it.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
This is a spin off of the thread on whether African Americans should forget Jim Crow and Slavery and just "move on".

Even though they were nearly exterminated a good 60/70 years ago, should they just "forget" about it now and stop talking about it every chance they get? How about the reparations they've been receiving? Should they stop getting it now as all those people who participated in violence against them are "no longer living" like they tell blacks (who've never received any reparations or even a bag of rice)?

Let's discuss.

If the Christians are willing to forget and never again mention their persecution from 2000 years ago, then in another 1930 years, the Jews should forget about theirs. I have serious doubts that either faith is willing to do that, as persecution complexes seem to be very useful to perpetuating the faith.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:00 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,103,309 times
You can't be fond of living in the past,
Cause if you are then there's no way that you're gonna last.
-The Tragically Hip, "Wheat Kings"

The song was written about David Milgaard, but the lesson can be applied to anyone or any group who feels like they suffered an injustice decades ago.

As for 9/11, it isn't an injustice being remembered, it is a reminder to be vigilant and not become complacent in your own society - lest you get caught with your pants down. If America chose to remember Pearl Harbour in that same manner, perhaps 9/11 would never have occurred.

Last edited by Annuvin; 09-13-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
German Jews - and certainly Jews in other parts of Europe - would have said that before Hitler came to power. Thinking it couldn't happen here, today, is EXACTLY why we can never forget. And it could happen to any minority ethnic group. Look at how Muslims are treated by many people in this country.
I once worked with a Jewish guy who has the same common English surname as I do. He told me that it was his grandfather's middle name, and when his grandfather saw how things were going in Germany back in the Thirties, he'd left and came to the US, dropping his Jewish-sounding surname just in case it started to happen here.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:08 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Quote:

Let's discuss.
No, just as the Irish should not forget the great famine.
It should be a part of their history and teaching to their children.

Reparations....uh no, the black nor the Irish never received any nor do I think I deserve a reparation on my great grand parents being driven from Ireland and facing what they did here when they arrived.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:55 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
No, just as the Irish should not forget the great famine.
It should be a part of their history and teaching to their children.

Reparations....uh no, the black nor the Irish never received any nor do I think I deserve a reparation on my great grand parents being driven from Ireland and facing what they did here when they arrived.

Agreed, well said. Off topic, but Irish call it an Gorta Mór or The Great Hunger.

It was not a "famine" as the English were still exporting plenty of the food and crops from Ireland. 30-50 shiploads of foor per day were exported to England-plenty more than was needed for the Irish.

Some people do actually call it "The Irish Holocaust".

Old 09-18-2014, 01:12 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Why should they forget? What would that accomplish? Sure they should remember. Just as we should remember the perhaps 100 million murdered in Russia...

OK, so what happened to complete sentence?
Murdered in Russia/USSR by whom? Let me see. Predominantly Jewish CH K/V CH K/ NKVD/KGB? Or, predominantly Jewish revolutionaries (yes, Lenin was quarter blood Jew too) that went on crusade of slaughtering Russia population, specifically targeting country back bone - intelligence, nobles, scientists, educators, etc? Or, predominantly Jewish CK of the Communist Party, where out of 32 members, 28 were Jews and the rest was married to them?
And yes indeed, depends who you listen to, estimates of all that slaughter house was between 60 to 100 000 000 people killed, murdered, ground in wars, rotted in GULAG, and so on. Ask Leiba Bronstein maybe? Though all he did, was paying back his debt to the money bags of the West, that sent him and his cohorts to Russia with purpose to bring it down to its knees and turn country into a resources supplement to USA and Britain capital.
Sort of puts entire Holocaust to shame a bit, doesn't it? Maybe we'll count in German Jewish revolutionaries, or Hungarian one Bela Kune (Kohen) and all others, sprawled all over the world, for "the best of the people" always ending in mass murder and smoking ruins, as results of that best?
I'd rather, instead of singing Kol Nidre, start with apologies for what we've done. Then cry about what was done to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates