Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This is a spin off of the thread on whether African Americans should forget Jim Crow and Slavery and just "move on".

Should the jews do this as well?

Even though they were nearly exterminated a good 60/70 years ago, should they just "forget" about it now and stop talking about it every chance they get? How about the reparations they've been receiving? Should they stop getting it now as all those people who participated in violence against them are "no longer living" like they tell blacks (who've never received any reparations or even a bag of rice)?

Let's discuss.
1. What reparations did jews receive?

2. There have been various social progams aimed at helping advance blacks forward from the deficit they were born into by past practices. ie) The current billion dollar initiative to get more minorities into the STEM field are reparations. You might not be satisfied with the amount or scope but there have indeed been some reparations.

3. Should blacks that were found to have ancestors involved in the slave trade also have to pay reparations and be removed from possibility of collecting such?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
I don't think they should just FORGET.

But I also don't think they need to announce their religion the moment you meet them. Also I don't think the word NAZI needs to show up in so many shows/movies/sitcoms ... if I watch THE SIMPSONS or STEPBROTHERS, I want to be entertained and not painfully reminded that my greatgreat father might have been having bad thoughts about Jewish people.

Also, I switch channels if I watch stand up comedy and a comedian introduces himself and feels the need to let everybody know immediately that he is Jewish. Who cares. He wouldn't say a word about his belief if he would be catholic.

BTW, what really does get swiped under the rug is the fact that there were many JAPANESE concentrations camps during WWII in the US. Nobody ever reminds anybody of that and it was no better than the concentration camps in Europe.

Jewish people reserved the right to rub it into our face constantly (even though most of them are already dead) while we would most likely tell black people and Japanese people to finally get over it and move on.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I've been tired of hearing about this so called "Holocaust" for decades now. Its getting old. There have been many episodes of genocide and this is nothing special.

I have noticed its getting less and less mentioned. As the old jewish population in the US died off and Jews have lost much of their media influence, there is less concern about the "holocaust".
Excuse me, but there is indeed something "special" about it, and your comment just shows your ignorance. It's the biggest example, indeed, possibly the only example, of a major First World country having a national policy to exterminate a particular religion.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:33 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. What reparations did jews receive?
How about this for starters, and then you can Google for yourself (thanks to Google, another Jewish brightness child)

Reparations Agreement between Israel and West Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Western Ukraine is readying to be hit by massive reparations requests coming from international Jewish organizations, bluntly requesting repossession of their THEN properties, that they lost during WWII and 1939 annexation of Western Ukraine by the USSR. You need to watch the other news, you know.
Audite et alter pars.
As of the USA having the 2nd largest Jewish population after Israel. Depends how you count. That's those that openly admitted to be Jews. As I am personally aware of many that claim being Italian, German, Irish and what not (can't really do Asian or black, I guess) with their strange desire to hide their ethnic identity.
And why might that be? No persecution here, right? Yet, say, gal that runs my front desk, her father changed family name from Abraham to Abram, and she clearly told me "to hide that he was a Jew". That's in the USA in the 60s. I do not recall any pogroms noted HERE and THEN to cause this.
ANd I am aware of likely even more Jews, that left USSR or Russia, based on "return to their himeland" - Israel, not USA - but somehow during flight changes and camping in Austria, that has large transition settlements for those immigrants - ended here, in the USA. One winked at me and said "Why go there? They shoot there, you know".

Old 08-22-2014, 05:01 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But that didn't occur on U.S. soil and it never will.

No, but the Japanese concentration camps did. While they were nowhere near as bad as the Holocaust (not sure what oh-eve is on about unless there were secret gas chambers and shooting walls that have been covered up), they are a shameful part of American history that many seem content to sweep under the rug. I'm also concerned about the rising tide of Islamaphobia in this country and have had several of my student workers experience violence or threats because they are Muslim.

And even in the US in 1990, I had a cross burned on my lawn. I was 3. My family had rocks thrown through windows displaying menorahs (often next to my dad's Christmas tree) throughout my childhood. We had swastikas spray painted on our garage door and cars. I was taken to "sleepover parties" which ended up being held at churches where I was locked in a room with a preacher to exorcise me or tell me my whole family was going to hell. There were times where my brother and I feared for our lives because we were Jewish, like when my brother responded to a "Merry Christmas" in a Walmart with "Happy Hanukkah". He was followed outside by other shoppers and beaten. This was 2006 or 2007. Apparently wearing a Star of David, displaying a menorah, or saying "Happy Hanukkah" was flaunting our faith and ethnicity too much for the community where I grew up - and that's why we can never forget. Because it probably started a bit like that in Europe, too.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
No, but the Japanese concentration camps did. While they were nowhere near as bad as the Holocaust (not sure what oh-eve is on about unless there were secret gas chambers and shooting walls that have been covered up), they are a shameful part of American history that many seem content to sweep under the rug. I'm also concerned about the rising tide of Islamaphobia in this country and have had several of my student workers experience violence or threats because they are Muslim.

And even in the US in 1990, I had a cross burned on my lawn. I was 3. My family had rocks thrown through windows displaying menorahs (often next to my dad's Christmas tree) throughout my childhood. We had swastikas spray painted on our garage door and cars. I was taken to "sleepover parties" which ended up being held at churches where I was locked in a room with a preacher to exorcise me or tell me my whole family was going to hell. There were times where my brother and I feared for our lives because we were Jewish, like when my brother responded to a "Merry Christmas" in a Walmart with "Happy Hanukkah". He was followed outside by other shoppers and beaten. This was 2006 or 2007. Apparently wearing a Star of David, displaying a menorah, or saying "Happy Hanukkah" was flaunting our faith and ethnicity too much for the community where I grew up - and that's why we can never forget. Because it probably started a bit like that in Europe, too.
The topic is the Holocaust. None of what you say you have experienced represents the norm of our society and does not represent the sentiments of our government and our leaders. There are radical "citizens" in every country. Christians are persecuted in this country by radicals also. No one is trying to sweep the sordid past of this country under the rug but it doesn't apply to the present. Again, the Holocaust did not occur on our soil.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:46 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,421,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't think they should just FORGET.

But I also don't think they need to announce their religion the moment you meet them. Also I don't think the word NAZI needs to show up in so many shows/movies/sitcoms ... if I watch THE SIMPSONS or STEPBROTHERS, I want to be entertained and not painfully reminded that my greatgreat father might have been having bad thoughts about Jewish people.

Also, I switch channels if I watch stand up comedy and a comedian introduces himself and feels the need to let everybody know immediately that he is Jewish. Who cares. He wouldn't say a word about his belief if he would be catholic.

BTW, what really does get swiped under the rug is the fact that there were many JAPANESE concentrations camps during WWII in the US. Nobody ever reminds anybody of that and it was no better than the concentration camps in Europe.

Jewish people reserved the right to rub it into our face constantly (even though most of them are already dead) while we would most likely tell black people and Japanese people to finally get over it and move on.

Eve-you are coming across as quite ignorant sorry.
First off you cant compare the rounding up of Japanese Americans into camps to the holocaust.
Maybe comedians like to use the religion thing too much but i have seen many catholics/christians talk about religion as well. Nobody is rubbing anyting in your face.
Also why dont you try and tell a black person to get over slavery and let me know how that goes.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:58 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,781,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You've got to be kidding. I'm not saying it wasn't wrong to imprison the Japanese-Americans, but to say that the camps in the US weren't worse than the ones in Europe demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what happened in the Nazi Camps. Those were slaughter houses.

Prove me wrong by posting the deaths in the US camps vs the Nazi camps...

Oh wait, YOU CAN'T, because they don't favor your point at all.

Most estimates put the total Interment count at around 120k. Most deaths were attributed to either lack of medical care or natural causes. There are no easily obtainable death counts, but for the sake of argument, let's assume EVERY ONE OF THEM DIED. That's still only a fraction of the number who were killed in Nazi Germany.

You're trying to compare the thaat with THE HOLOCAUST where the death count is in the millions? You really don't think it was any better being in a US camp vs a Nazi camp?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:09 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,464,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This is a spin off of the thread on whether African Americans should forget Jim Crow and Slavery and just "move on".

Should the jews do this as well?

Even though they were nearly exterminated a good 60/70 years ago, should they just "forget" about it now and stop talking about it every chance they get? How about the reparations they've been receiving? Should they stop getting it now as all those people who participated in violence against them are "no longer living" like they tell blacks (who've never received any reparations or even a bag of rice)?

Let's discuss.
Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines
1) Slavary (and Jim Crow) cannot be compared to the holocaust in any way or form.
2) Forgetting the terrible history and going on with your life, are two different things. Nobody can force you to forget your past.
3) The biggest question is what you are doing about your present and future. If you transform the pain of past times into the certer of your life, you are making a crucial mistake and betray future generations.
4) it is your obligation to raise your children into independent people that can sustain themselves and grow further.
5) Reparations would not change the way you feel about yourself. Neither education. only a deep conviction that you are a worthy human can keep you running.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-23-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 08:24 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,475,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Exterminated? Doesn't the United States alone have the 2nd largest number of Jews on the planet?

I've always wondered, why do Jews reserve the right to call that specific experience "the holocaust"? There have been lots of "holocausts" throughout the history of the planet. Therefore, a more appropriate term for it would be "the Jewish holocaust".

Good post the Jewish people were never going to be eliminated too many of them lived in the USA.. plus Hitler was stupid because Judaism isn't a race its a religion. I am Swedish and I am more aryan than any German, Germans are not true Aryans anyway thats a misconception. Thats almost as stupid as when people say Latino or Hispanic is a race. God Bless America- RL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates